Author Topic: WNW Jasta 4 Albatros D.V "Polka Dots"  (Read 13596 times)

Offline Wodehouse

Re: WNW Jasta 4 Albatros D.V "Polka Dots"
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 06:05:42 AM »
Thank you, Gisbod. :D

When you get the Pfalz, I suppose there isn't a need to get a separate sprue I guess, as all the D.III parts are included in that. :)

How did you do the spark plugs? They look good!

Jeroen

Crikey, I'm glad you pointed that out.  I almost ordered both those things shortly after typing up that post, but had no time. 

The spark plugs (which I clearly have to straighten out on that engine) were incredibly crude, but very simple to make.  It amounted to bead stringing on a piece of copper wire, then gluing & painting:

1 piece of copper wire from common electrical cable
1 little cut-off cylinder of fly fishing midge-sized tubing (base)
1 of same, micro sized (plug tip) 
For the hex shaped nut, I bought a set of Meng's useful nuts and bolts plates and used the smallest sized hex nut on the plate.  Drill it on the sprue, then slice off with Xacto or razor.  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/230010-meng-model-sps-008-nuts-and-bolts-set-c

Offline aircare84

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
Excellent work on your Albatros.
I am at this time building a DVa & using the Uschi decals as well for the wood grain, am pleased with the results.
Will be watching your build.
Larry

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
Thanks Larry!

So, I'm moving along with decaling this thing.  For anyone who hasn't used them, here's some stuff to look out for when working with the Ronny Barr decals (I assume it's the same with the other sheets Uschi offers). 

The decals are patterned in such a way that it's like a repetition of the same wood grain over and over.  In general, it's smart to be on the lookout for things that pop out as repetition on your model, so one thing that's smart to do is to flip them upside down and not always cut consecutive panels from the same orientation.  The grain will still be in the same direction, etc.  The things to look out for that actually strike the eye as especially repetitive are whirls and umber-coloured dots.

Here's an example where I was being too clever by half.  When I did the nail holes in my Alby, I taped the lines with fine-line tape and then tried to follow them with the rivet tool, not always with success, but the long line on the port side had a slight wobble near the cockpit that I didn't like, so I tried to bury the thing in one of the more active dark patterns of one of Uschi's decals.  I was successful actually, but didn't realize that I had a repeat pattern that is impossible to unsee once you see it. 

Without visual aids:

Note my high-tech tool, lol.  It's just a needle stuck into a piece of sprue that I drilled.  The sprue has led a double life and upgraded its duties from paint stirrer to poking tool.  Seriously one of the most useful tools I have though.

With visual aids:

Ugh, same orientation too.  Again, can't be unseen.

Another, larger shot:

So what to do? I don't want to try to lift the decal and toss it.  But I have options.  The two that seem most obvious:  I have a ton of Windsor & Newton oils from when I once fancied myself a painter, so I can try to match hue and value and simply subtly cover one of the dots with a reddish or ochre colour blended in, or for that matter I can add more dots and obfuscate the sameness of the pattern by making it more dotty.  I'm in the middle of deciding which, but will post the result when I'm done. 

Offline steveb

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
I think it looks great so far!
As far as the repeating pattern, I wouldn't have noticed immediately. But, as you say, once it it is seen it is hard to be unseen. I know it firsthand, MANY times over, & I need to be more like this emoji when talking about my own work. :-X

I think that you can make it work without removing the decal!

Steve

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
I think it looks great so far!
As far as the repeating pattern, I wouldn't have noticed immediately. But, as you say, once it it is seen it is hard to be unseen. I know it firsthand, MANY times over, & I need to be more like this emoji when talking about my own work. :-X

I think that you can make it work without removing the decal!

Steve

Thanks, and I agree sometimes it's best to keep silent, but I'm always open to solutions that I might not have thought about, so I don't mind pointing out my warts. 

I tried a few things this morning.  Mixing colours was too time consuming and difficult.  I tried putting the base yellow over one of the dots and positioning a tiny little dot of decal over it too, which didn't work out at all.  So I chose the additive method and just added a couple dots, plus changed the shape a little bit of the dots around the cockpit.  It turns out that raw umber is a pretty exact match once you soften it with a dry brush.

So I still see the dots, but at least now the eye doesn't say it looks exactly the same.  I figure the dots in the front will be mostly obscured by wing shadow anyway, so for now I'm moving on.

Offline Jimbo

• James Harr Model Maker
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 11:04:45 PM »
Wodehouse;

I think this looks amazing. And, I think your fix for the repetitive ply pattern worked perfectly. Although I don't think it was necessary; I've bought birch ply sheets that clearly came out of the mill consecutively and looked almost book-matched with mirrored grain. And then, as you say, there's the wings and all the other markings. Easy for me to say, I know, it would have bugged me no end as well. Looking forward to continued progress - thanks for sharing your great work!

Jimbo
Under construction:

Wingnut Wings Roland C.II

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
Your DV is looking amazing! The difference between an average modeler and an above average is attention to details. As an average modeler I would have left the dots as they were  ::) Your solution was terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 11:42:56 PM »
Thanks gentlemen.  I appreciate the encouragement!  Modelling is one of the few things I do that is deeply relaxing and yet makes me want to throw a boot at the wall. 

So more good news:  The WNW Pfalz D.IIIa and all the magnificent Taurus stuff for the Mercedes D.III are on their way, so my engine problems in this bird are solved too.  I'll just swap the engines and I'm good to go.

-Matthew

Offline boggie

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 08:26:27 AM »
Modelling is one of the few things I do that is deeply relaxing and yet makes me want to throw a boot at the wall. 

Hahaha. I can certainly relate to that!

Clever "fix" to your annoying knot. Simple yet effective.

Looking forward to your next progress report.  :)

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »
Moving along nicely !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 06:01:17 AM »
Looking good! I'd never have spotted the duplicate knots, but I know what you mean. Like others wrote, we all see and know things about our models that nobody else will notice. :) Nice fix, though!

And thanks for the little tutorial on the spark plugs, I could not find the Meng sheets here, but I've orderd some resin Masterclub bolts. They do all sort of sizes, so I'll see what I can make of it.

Jeroen

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 07:07:01 AM »
Again, many thanks for the kind words.

And thanks for the little tutorial on the spark plugs, I could not find the Meng sheets here, but I've orderd some resin Masterclub bolts. They do all sort of sizes, so I'll see what I can make of it.

Jeroen

My pleasure!  The Masterclub bolts will surely be even better if you try your hand at that or a similar method.

So onward and upward.  I've now wallpapered most of the room and am about to put some furniture in it - specifically all the PE bits that will grace the outside of this thing.  I've done the base brown of the cockpit coaming with burnt umber oil.  Highlights are next.  Then it's a lacquer gloss coat and hopefully decals and I'm moving on to the wings.

Here's where she stands right now.

A more frontal shot.  Starboard shots will ensue when that side is wallpapered too, but for now I'm still sticking with port side. 

Here I attempted verdigris on the gas tank; not sure I'll leave it but I like it so far.  It's significantly lighter than the picture shows.  This was done with a mix of thalo green and flake white oils.  Watching Bo's astonishing Albatros build thread has made me absolutely nutty about using blue-green with metals for various weathering - heat wear, verdigris, chromatic variation in oil stains, etc - and thalo green is just wonderful stuff for all sorts of hues in this range.

Regards,
Matthew

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 11:56:59 PM »
Your Albatros really looks great to me! Love the outcome of the wood decals and of course still love the ribbon!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 12:47:02 AM »
Cannot see it in person, but looks really good from where I sit.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 03:49:51 AM »
Simply wonderful piece of modelling - especially the wood grain and spiral, even with the repetitive knots! This is a wonderful thread to follow - so many good ideas.

Stephen.