Author Topic: WNW USAS Camel & AVIS Fok DVIII Dual Build  (Read 12405 times)

Online petrov27

Re: WNW Camel
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
OK, so since my last post I was somewhat on a hiatus for modeling due to some major health issues - found out I have cancer, had surgery to remove a big section of my colon last week and now am in recovery for that. On the upside I am getting some of my mojo back and am back at the model bench the last couple days.

Doing the USAS version so have the Gnome built and ready to go:

Purchased another Barracuda resin seat - this one was also flashed over pretty badly but some slow tedious and careful sanding it from the back side of the open area worked. There is no padding on the top edge of this seat like on the WNW plastic version so I added it by application of multiple coats of Mr Surfacer:

Also working on the old AVIS Fokker DVIII - started with the wing. The moulding on this was pretty rough and it needed a ton of work with sanding sticks to fit together and refine it - actually made a heavy duty monster sanding block to deal with the issues :) . Also lots of filling on the underside. Still need to rescribe and add some details:

Lastly I ordered some of the Hobbyzone modular workbench organizer units - first one is for brushes and tools - looks pretty good, hope to get them assembled in the next few days....
-Patrick

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: WNW USAS Camel & AVIS Fok DVIII Dual Build
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
Hello Patrick,
first I hope you will recover very fast and stay healthy.
The engine looks very good and I am looking forward to your next progress.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
Hi Petrov,
May your recovery be quick and your modeling plentyful.

Take care,

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »
Wishing you a quick recovery and keeping you in my thoughts.  Looking good in your progress of both builds.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »
I keep my fingers crossed for a quick recovery of your health!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
That sucks Petrov,I've had 2 resections and a stoma reversal in the last 6 years,I hope someone has discussed adjunctive
chemo with you.There are plenty of alternative things you can explore also,feel free to ask if I can help with any information.
Kindest regards,and compliments on your progress with the dual build.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
Your model is looking splendid Petrov but I was saddened to hear your news of the cancer, I hope you make a speedy recovery from your operation.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 11:11:16 PM »
The Camel is looking great as is your Avis EV wing! Just re- read your post and like the others I wish you a speedy nd complete recovery!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:49:28 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 12:37:03 AM »
    Looking good Patrick; the E.V / D.VIII is really in the highlights of late, great choice with a new Camel! Here's to a speedy and complete recovery for you, a couple of good Kits to build along with that beautiful HobbyZone equipment (read envy!) will help a lot!
Cheers,
Lance

Online petrov27

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 07:06:44 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words of support!

Regarding the DVIII, the reproductions done for TVAL and others I believe have lozenge covered seats as below - does this still seem accurate to any experts here or should I go with a "leather" or linen seat cover?

http://www.collectors-edition.de/FokkerD7/2004-12/1603.jpg

-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 07:41:10 AM »

Regarding the DVIII, the reproductions done for TVAL and others I believe have lozenge covered seats as below - does this still seem accurate to any experts here or should I go with a "leather" or linen seat cover?

I have used lozenge to cover the areas in question. The DVIII that was/is restored in Italy had these components covered in (5) color lozenge. I think it is open to the modelers choice as there really are no hard line this is how it was done facts. JMHO,
RAGIII

Online petrov27

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 08:26:46 AM »

I have used lozenge to cover the areas in question. The DVIII that was/is restored in Italy had these components covered in (5) color lozenge. I think it is open to the modelers choice as there really are no hard line this is how it was done facts. JMHO,
RAGIII

Cool - thanks RAGIII - interesting that the seat would have 5 color when the exterior was 4 color on the DVIII (at least pretty sure they were all 4 color?)
-Patrick

Online petrov27

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Lots of painting of Camel bits and wood grain done with new Griffin fast-drying oils. They do seem to dry very quick. Didnt come out as dark as I expected but will maybe do a tinted clear to darken a bit:

Also first of my Hobbyzone workbench organizer modules is built - looks like it will be quite helpful. Now wrapping up the next module that is three storage drawers.

-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 12:20:08 AM »
Excellent paint work. I have found the Griffin oils are not as intense as the regular oils. I used to use raw sienna and burnt sienna a lot. Now it is more burnt sienna and burnt umber with the quick drying oils. Love your organizers!

RAGIII

Online petrov27

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 12:46:23 AM »
I am just amazed that here the morning after applying the Grffin oils they seem to be dry and ready for overcoating with a clear. My previous oil application was a week plus process. Do you find that a day later you have been able to clear without issue or should I give longer?
-Patrick