Author Topic: WNW USAS Camel & AVIS Fok DVIII Dual Build  (Read 12402 times)

Offline petrov27

WNW USAS Camel & AVIS Fok DVIII Dual Build
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:06:49 AM »
Well probably a bad idea to start a new kit but waiting on parts for my AEG and have been sick the last week with little or no energy but thought I would "dabble" with the new WNW offering a bit just to check it out:

Interior - lots of circles to fill though not difficult:

Seat seems quite small - I ordered the Barracudacast resin seat thinking it might offer detail improvement - the resin seat is I believe known for being "small" yet it is bigger than the kit plastic:

On the Barracuda set, I did not expect the fine weaving work to be completely flashed over where it should be "open" - this is not how the seat is displayed online. It seems like it could be very dicey to remove without damaging the fine detail. Others who have the seat - is yours the same with all the resin-flash?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:21:52 AM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW Camel
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
Petrov,
   I have three seats from an order placed over a year ago and they are all completely "clean" as illustrated on-line. Perhaps the molds are getting old.......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:10 AM »
Petrov,
   I have three seats from an order placed over a year ago and they are all completely "clean" as illustrated on-line. Perhaps the molds are getting old.......
Cheers,
Lance
Same here.  I also have a new set just received and there's very light flash which came off with a brush.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
Which Camel are you doing?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
Nice to see the first build of the new Camel started, looking forward to seeing this one take shape.
As far as the Barracuda seat go I have half a dozen of them and some had a little bit of flash between the weave but it brushed off very easily, a very sharp No.11 scalpel blade will clean your seat very well.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline petrov27

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
Thanks gents; this is the USAS boxing

Started cleaning the resin seat - the flash is thick to the point where a brush wouldnt touch it, using a sharp blade but its slow careful work. A bit frustrated with it to be honest - may just take a pass and use the kit plastic....
-Patrick

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »
I'd bring it to Roy's attention,he is a great chap to deal with in my experience-worth an email at least.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
I have to say that I am truly looking forward to this first build of  WNW Camel here! Bummer about the resin seat!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »
I hope you're feeling at bit better this week and it really is good to see a WNW Camel underway.

On the subject of the seat size, I always understood that they were pretty small and I'd probably go with the WNW representation.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »
Hi Petrov,

Looking forward to this  ;)

I had the same issue with my resin seat - I had to get it off with a blade and couldn't do it without damaging the seat - I sent a picture to Barracuda and the replaced them with perfect one's with no flash - super helpful.

The plastic looks very.... beige!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline JCoatney

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 06:25:48 AM »
I shared this post with Roy at Barracuda Studios. Per Roy, if you drop him an email, he will gladly replace your seat.

Happy Modeling,

Jim

Offline petrov27

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 06:57:22 AM »
Thanks gents - I attempted the clean up of the seat last night and was going fairly well until a twitch sent the super sharp blade through several of the important bits which pretty much ruined it.

I shall take the blame for that - I shoulda sent Roy a note it appears. I did send a note to them this morning via the email list on their website asking if the lower backed seat can be purchased on its own instead of as a "double" with a high-back seat. I really do not need the "high back" version seat - at least not several of them, whereas I have a couple Camels where I wouldnt mind the better seat assuming I can get them sans-flash...
-Patrick

Offline Russell

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 07:17:45 AM »
For what it's worth drawings of seats said to be used in the Camel indicate an overall height of 14-1/2 inches (that's from top of back to underside of seat base).

That would give a 1/32nd scale height of 0.453 of an inch (or 11.5mm).

How high is the WnW seat?

Regards
Russell

Offline petrov27

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 07:34:49 AM »
Both seats appear to be right at 11mm in height. The WNW seat is maybe 1mm narrower though.

For some reason the WNW looks much smaller but its actually not all that much - maybe it is the seat-pad making it look short...
-Patrick

Offline nichenson

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
I believe it is the curve of the seat throwing us off.  The Barracude has a more U shape where WnW have more V if that makes sense.