Author Topic: Albatros D.III - 1/96 scale  (Read 7414 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Albatros D.III - 1/96 scale
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:54:21 AM »
Hallo eveybody,
here is my new project, indeed an unconventional one.

On the other forum I follow we are celebrating one of our fellows modelers who passed away last December. He was not much older than 60 and had a Toy Shop in Rome and used to sell kits to us. He was a modeler himself, a very good one! And a jolly mate in every kind of adventures, both online and in the real life...

So everyone who has a kit coming from him will dedicate the build log to his loving memory and all the WIPs will go under a Memorial Group Build.

I never purchased a kit from him but many tools and colors, he had not much in WW1 subjects, but he once sent me a parcel with some colors and other things and when I opened it I found this kit: an Albatros issued as advertisement by the ARAL Petrol Company, probably in the 60s.

The kit is terrible and is in 1/96 scale! Half of my favourite scale 1/48.

Here are the pictures of the sprues:

here are the "instructions"

This is the leaflet with the national insigna... it's a paper, self adhesive leaflet in the conditions you can see. I wonder whether they were blue on the outside (suggesting a captured plane or maybe black, the colors of the German Empire? A roundel that I guess has never existed... )

And this is the livery I will try to reproduce:

Oblt. Adolf von Tutschek
Serial: D.2274/16
Commander of Jasta 12
27 victories

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Albatros D.III - 1/96 scale
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 01:03:38 AM »
Very nice homage and tribute to the gentleman.  We have come a long way in the way kits are molded today, will look forward to your progress.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:05:22 AM »
Thanks Juan.

I discovered there was also an RE8 in this series, search Google with "COLLECTION LES"ZINCS" HEROIQUES ARAL", it is sold by a French vendor on e-bay

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:44:08 AM »
A fitting tribute! The kit is rough but the shapes look reasonable. I am looking forward to your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 04:41:43 AM »
Yes Rick, it is fair enough, but it lacks the panlelines, the tail planes both vertical and horizontal have wrong separation lines for the moving parts, the top wing has no ailerons traced.

I spent all my modeling time today in sanding off the ejectors marks and I begun tracing some lines.

Soon some pictures.

Ciao

Antonio

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 05:35:11 AM »
I am sure Antonio that you will turn what is an unpromising kit into a really good model - a fitting tribute to your friend. No doubt he believed that you could make something of it - which is why he is smiling at you even as you sand and scribe!

Stephen.

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:35 AM »
That's a very fine tribute to a friend, Antonio (my middle name, BTW).  I remember ARAL from Formula 1 ads, I had no idea they issued models in such an unusual scale.  This should be an interesting build.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »
Thanks guys for the support.
I'll do my best at this strange kit, and the idea that "he is smiling at you even as you sand and scribe!" as Stephen said makes me feel much more motivated!

The more I go on the more I see how fine the details on this micro model are, but unfortunately they are WRONG!

I chose Adolf von Tutschek's machine because it's very easy to paint and there are no specific decals to use, I already have drawn the Eiserne Kreuz and printing it in any dimension is easy for me. Moreover I like that all black look (I am a Rugby fan!) ...
I will also rig the plane of course.

Antonio
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:24:26 AM by andonio64 »

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 10:21:48 PM »
Hallo,
I will show shortly a few new pictures, in the meantime: do you think this version of the DIII had a central radiator?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:24:53 AM »
Antonio,
From the top of my head without checking reference I think D2200/16 series would have the offset radiator. I am sure others will look into this and give the definitive answer. I will double check ASAP.
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 04:04:27 AM »
Antonio,
From the top of my head without checking reference I think D2200/16 series would have the offset radiator. I am sure others will look into this and give the definitive answer. I will double check ASAP.
RAGIII
Thanks Rick I will wait for other opinions and keep yours as reference for the moment.
I also have found (on page 8 of the PROFILE 127) a photo of Von Tutschek clearly showing the radiator (on the bottom surface of the top wing) displaced on the right of the pilot

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
hallo,
here are a few steps ahead:

I used MR.SURFACER 500 to give the ribs a little thickness
The forward pin to close the fuselage was in the cockpit, so I moved it forward to leave space for some "furniture" ... (see red arrows)
All the holes were filled with putty, I will re-open those I'll need. For example the undercarriage position was totally wrong
I sanded away all the ejection marks and writings on the side of the fuselage, although they appear still there I have coloured the parts with a black marker and they disappeared. Then I sanded away the colour again.

Let's cross our fingers!!!

I traced the panel lines on the fuselage and retraced the rudder and the elevators
Pannellature sulla fusoliera e tracciamento degli alettoni, del timone verticale e dei timoni di profondità

I made a slot to put the engine that I should build from scratch...
And I decreased a lot the thickness of the plastic on the edge of the slot and of the cockpit opening.

Ciao!

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 05:15:52 AM »
Hallo here are the progresses of this weekend:

Details added to the fuselage (in white):

I made a rough approximation of the Mercedes engine, here are just the 6 cylinders to start...

Some details for the cockpit:

Thanks for the attention!

AnDonio

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 05:44:59 AM »
Looks great Antonio. You are off to a terrific start with your added details.
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
Thank you Rick, I am really enjoying it!

Antonio