Author Topic: Avis/ Mikro Mir 1/32nd scale Fokker EV Jasta 6.  (Read 78361 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Avis 1/32nd scale Fokker EV Jasta 6.
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2017, 10:56:54 PM »
I tried to apply one of the Mikro Mir wing crosses and it split into three pieces. SO a heads up, SEAL them first if you want to use Mikro Mir decals. A better solution, PHEON! Since I do not want to attach the wing until the crosses are in place I assembled the Mikro Mir wing to experiment with another painting method. I used water color pencils for the streaky / stained effect. Opinions are welcomed!
RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:31:57 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2017, 11:26:47 PM »
   " A better solution, PHEON!"

Well Rick, looks like the decals, as the Kit itself, are less then ideal! I've pre-ordered the Pheon Decals as well, and the ones in the box will stay there......
   The effect of the coloured pencils on your wing looks promising, I think I'll experiment on some scrap a bit however it does create the effect of a stain over paint or varnish quite nicely. I'm also "warming" to the two vs. three coloured approach as proposed by Bughunter, it just seems far too logical an interpretation to not consider seriously.
   Looking good! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
   " A better solution, PHEON!"

Well Rick, looks like the decals, as the Kit itself, are less then ideal! I've pre-ordered the Pheon Decals as well, and the ones in the box will stay there......
   The effect of the coloured pencils on your wing looks promising, I think I'll experiment on some scrap a bit however it does create the effect of a stain over paint or varnish quite nicely. I'm also "warming" to the two vs. three coloured approach as proposed by Bughunter, it just seems far too logical an interpretation to not consider seriously.
   Looking good! :)
Cheers,
Lance

I also like Bughunters theory with one Caveat. The amount of stain listed in the drawing was Just enough using all four colors to cover the wing. Providing I remember all of the discussions on the Drome regarding Achims' build correctly.
RAGIII

PS: Another theory could be that the brown and green were mixed and used on the uppers, and the Violet and blue mixed for the unders. After all there is no real proof that all EVs had a division between colors, at least in my opinion  ::) That being said I am going to stick with the 4 color as you probably can tell  8)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2017, 12:32:13 AM »
Rick,
    I meant to say "three vs. four colours", that is green and violet upper per the Albatros technique and blue only on the lower from the same pattern. That matching the interpretation that the green was mixed with the brown to provide a dark green/brown. It makes sense to me however it's only one of several (and probably/possibly more informed) theories out there. I'm the first to admit that this plan of mine is presently cast in warm runny "puppy poop"! ::) :o
Cheers!
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2017, 01:25:55 AM »
I prefer your first wing but the experiment with the water colour pencils is interesting. The first wing seems a little "smoother" Part of my preference may be based on still trying to get used to the whole look in general.

Steve

Offline Borsos

« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2017, 01:26:32 AM »
Those water color pencils really look good, Rick. I think they are a good tool. Regarding the color question ... well, I think I'll wait until you and Lance finished your and his D VIIIs and compare them with Franks - and then take the wing colors that look best for my taste  :)
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2017, 02:33:42 AM »
Looks really good Rick, whatever floats your boat is what I would use as Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine is not currently working (LOL).  Beautiful as always.   :D

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2017, 02:55:53 AM »
I cannot comment on the colours - I simply do not have the reference material and anyway we are all aware of the pitfalls that surround this topic…… The streaking effect with the crayons looks good but I am not sure whether it is better than your earlier attempt. Photographs do not always do justice to that kind of effect - I would prefer to see the real thing if I could. Either way you must choose - and either method will be vastly better than anything that I could do!

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2017, 03:11:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys! I tried the pencils because I was after something that would look "More" like stain soaked into the wood leaving a streaky appearance vs an actual Streaked Paint on purpose look  8) I am encouraged by the results. By the way I got the idea from Warren who used the water color pencils for his 1/72nd Fokker F1 103/17.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2017, 11:42:58 PM »
Great News, at least for Me! I stopped at the Mail Box on my way home from working third shift last night and My Pheon decals were in the box! So, Like Lance this build will become active again soon! I have 11 days of Vacation coming up starting on Thursday so hopefully some progress will be Made on this kit as well as my New Albatros build.
RAGIII

Offline mgunns

« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
I too like the water color pencil look.  Gives it a home spun hand made look.  I have this kit in the stash and would like to build it soon, so I am watching both you and Lance break ground on it here.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
I started to apply the Pheon decals today. I used the Pheon tail stripes over my painted ones to sharpen the edges. I am surprised that I was as close to being correct as I was  ::)
RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:32:27 AM by RAGIII »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
Great stuff. They performed well by the looks of them!!

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
Great stuff. They performed well by the looks of them!!

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yes the decals are terrific as always. Just a small amount of trimming needed on the undersurface to remove excess on the stripe.
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »
 Rick, Got mine on as well, and we've chosen the same scheme. When did you sneak the gear on? Now I am definitely behind your progress! Looking very good!
Cheers,
Lance