Author Topic: Help for Vertigo jig  (Read 10386 times)

Offline Silver wings

Re: Help for Vertigo jig
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »
I still haven't calmed down. I think maybe it is because my wife of 64 years marriage recently died and me and the dog are having a major time coping. Anyway in some of my rage I broke a couple of pieces but with Acc they are back together and re-polished with sanding sticks and Novus. Working on the carriage bolts and having to file the threads to fi,t the bolts slipped into place but can't move. I cannot understand why the two uprights that hold the wings have the slots much narrower unless that is the way it has to be. At any rate I got it together at last after filing and sanding the bolts and the two slots and rebuilding it 5 times. I must admit it was really satisfying building something else for a change. It will be a long time until I return to peace, maybe never.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
Oh no! My condolences for your sad loss! I wish you all the best to get through these dark times.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 04:10:32 PM »
Sincere condolences Alec.

Offline Hannover

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »
Deepest condolences Alec

H

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 08:02:11 PM »
Oh, my. This is terrible, I won't even imagine...
hope you will manage to get over this and find peace in your mind again.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 12:35:30 AM »
    My thoughts and best wishes for the future are with you Alec. I know your pain, I was widowed 30 years ago after 22 years of marriage, and it's about as devastating as it can get. Trust me, you'll get through it with faith and concentrating on the good memories....
    Take care and take it one positive step at a time,
Regards,
Lance

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 12:45:24 AM »
So sorry to read that, best wishes to you.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline petrov27

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 01:06:26 AM »
sorry man - condolences....

Regarding your question on how the Vertigo holder has worked for me; for the most part it is simply nice to have something that holds the model off the worktable and keeps it from sliding around etc. It also raises it a bit which helps with my issues with neck and back pain.

I have not had it long so I dont have a ton of experience yet with it. The first biplane to be done on it will likley be the AEG (though this box of WNW Camel is really screaming to me to start that too) - once I get to gluing that top wing on I am hoping the Vertigo will assist with alignment etc
-Patrick

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 01:34:06 AM »
Thank you all for your caring. I hope I can get through it. but the ache is unbelievable. The worst part of all is that my oldest son had a stroke about a year ago and is still recuperating, My next daughter had a stroke 2 weeks ago and is still in the hospital and my 3rd daughter lost her husband to death and is also having problems. As for me I haven't seen a doctor in over 42 years and just reached 87 years old 4 days ago. How do you figure. I have to learn to keep away from model work when I don't feel right.  :(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:59:40 AM by Silver wings »

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 03:28:51 AM »
That is utterly amazing that they emailed you. I sent them 5 emails and got no reply for any of them. Be aware that the jig is very nice and not too difficult to use. I also think that it was purposely designed with the wing hold section with a narrower slot to make it more secure to hold the wings. I have got the bolt to slide into the slot and hold tight. To remove it just needs to be hit with a light tap with a small hammer to release it when needed. It would be nice if they at least responded and explained the feature. I haven't used it yet but it sure will help align the wings.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 06:12:58 AM »
   I have the old (I believe no longer being marketed) AeroClub Jig, and use it a lot.

On the positive side I can set the "sweep" of the top to the bottom wing, the space between them, and clamp everything firmly in place. It's only shortcoming, easily prevented with padding, is the metal parts scrape the paint off the mating surfaces very easily. Besides my "Magic Third Hand" it's my favorite and most indispensable tool.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jknaus

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 07:22:35 AM »
I did not have great service from them and when I got my stand it was cracked, probably because it was in an envelope instead of a box. None the less I did like the stand. I found that UMM sold them and that's where I got another one.

https://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?manufacturers_id=114&osCsid=d4262cbf8d40c8e677865eb2164a8484

So maybe this would be a better alternative. HTHs
As for my second I couldn't get it glued together and it is sitting somewhere on the bench waiting for me to make time to build it.
James

Offline petrov27

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »
Never had any issues with UMM - that is where I got my Vertigo stand as well

They have quite a nice selection of useful model tools
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 07:09:59 AM »
Steve,
    I assembled mine last week and found all the same things you did regarding "square" edges, narrow slots, and even a popsicle stick sanding tool! I wasn't able to find any of the acrylic cement you recommended earlier (in this small and remote community anything beyond carpenter's white glue is difficult to find) however cheap 5 minute epoxy worked very well. The thing may have to be modified to work on a Gotha however it's easily large enough to handle two seaters in 1:32 Scale which my AeroClub version wouldn't hold, and is why I invested in this one.
   Thanks for posting this, I wish it had come a week earlier if only to validate my own thoughts on it. This should help others deal with any issues on the product.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Neat! Should work like a charm; be sure to publish a photo once you get back to the Gotha and mount her onto the modified Base.
Cheers,
Lance