Author Topic: Help for Vertigo jig  (Read 10485 times)

Offline Silver wings

Help for Vertigo jig
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:48:58 AM »
Hi all,

I bought a Vertigo jig for wing alignment. It arrived in a flat cardboard envelope to be put together like a jigsaw puzzle. The shaft for the wing extension is too narrow to accept a bolt. The rest of the shafts are fine. Is this normal for this tool? The other question is (What do you do with it) There are no instructions for it's use. Is this another stupid purchase on my part. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Alec

Offline Hannover

Re: Help for Vertigo jig
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:48:43 AM »
Hi Alec, sorry not heard of these but a quick Google search brings up this page http://www.vertigo-miniatures.com/vertigo/eshop/15-1-VERTIGO-JIGS

Looks like there are several different types of jig from these people, assuming these are the ones.

Clicking on any photos at the bottom of the page takes you to an individual product page with several more photos. These may help you. Failing that email Vertigo, email address is on the Contact page.

Hope this helps a bit!

H

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 04:29:26 AM »
Following H's link I realized that my jig that I bought about a year or so ago was from Vertigo too. I built it up with CA and it still does its job very well. If I can help you out with pics of my version of the jig, just let me know!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:12:01 AM »
not 100% sure what you mean by wing shaft extension but all bolts should fit through the appropriate acrylic pieces. I find it pretty handy...

-Patrick

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:03:04 AM »
Nice AEG! Show us more!

Thanks! Ha this is my old stalled build here:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5297.0

had some major challenges with decals and with adding aftermarket to the engines but finally have it out on the bench again and addressing issues. Flat coating the top wing with the decal repaired section today then need to figure out where to go with the engines...
-Patrick

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
Thank you all. That was a big help. I have built up the jig to some extent. The part I am talking about that has the slots too narrow is the section that holds up the wings. Both upper arms with slots are  too narrow to be able to insert a screw. Since you mention that yours are ok guess I should file out the slots to fit. The pictures you posted petrov27 Helped much. I also bought a WNW AEG G.4 early and bought all Photo etch parts from HGW for it, as well as many details from Taurus. They haven't arrived yet but when they do I'll start the build.

Cheers,

Alec

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:10:17 AM »
I don't know where I can find replacement screws. They are a special type. My emails to vertigo never seem to get any replies. I will check each screw with a micrometer to see if there are 2 smaller widths. If not I think I will just file the square section underneath the top of the screw instead of filing the slot wider. I will say one thing customer service with them is bad news. I asked several times about the jig before I even bought it but never got any replies, so I went ahead and bought it anyway. I think it was a stupid mistake. I never expected to rebuild the whole bloody thing. What a nightmare.

Cheers,

Alec

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »
I don't know where I can find replacement screws. They are a special type. My emails to vertigo never seem to get any replies. I will check each screw with a micrometer to see if there are 2 smaller widths. If not I think I will just file the square section underneath the top of the screw instead of filing the slot wider. I will say one thing customer service with them is bad news. I asked several times about the jig before I even bought it but never got any replies, so I went ahead and bought it anyway. I think it was a stupid mistake. I never expected to rebuild the whole bloody thing. What a nightmare.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec, to match the screw you need the diameter and the pitch. Easiest way to derive the thread pitch is with a pitch gauge. Metric and ANSI threads are different. I would assume based on where this jig is from it will have metric hardware. Both systems have coarse and fine pitch standards. A pitch gauge can be obtained at most hardware and auto parts stores. Often bike shops have them too.

Common metric screws come in very regular sizes e.g. M5 M6 M8 etc -- the screw will be very slightly less than the nominal diameter.

Once you figure out the size, if you are in the US, McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com) has just about every conceivable type of hardware including screws, and a very easy and intuitative site to find it on. They ship quickly -- I often get stuff from them next day, even when I'm at our cabin in the boonies. For really weird stuff you can try Fastenall as well.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:02:40 AM »
I think I understand the issue - the "square" section under the screw-head should be smaller width than the slots cut into the acrylic pieces - supposed to enable the screw to "slide" up or down the slot to adjust the height of each hold point/arm with just a slight loosen to the wingnut, but in this case the slots are not cut wide enough...

Come to think of it, mine are very tight fits as well and you can't really slide the pieces very easy. It didnt make much difference to me as I dont see having to adjust it all that much - just once per model anyway :)

-Patrick

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »
- the "square" section under the screw-head

Ah. Those are called elevator bolts.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#elevator-bolts/=168pdwm

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 08:34:19 AM »
Thank you all,

I have disassembled this Jig 4 times already to no avail. You have a point Petrov27. But why should anyone put up with a bad product when good money was paid for it. I tried filing the screw/bolt but it would take a month of Sundays before a dent was made. Filing to open the slot is worthless. I sent an email to Vertigo, This is the 4th. time asking why they don't answer their mails and telling them what I think of their customer service. Apparently from what you say Petrov27 that particular slot being cut wrong is standard procedure with them and I won't tolerate it. They are either going to fix the bloody thing or will be cringing by the time I'm through with them. Replacing screws at my expense and having to buy in quantity is not an option and rebuilding a product that money was paid for doesn't make sense. Oh well my wrath will be upon them LOL  ;D 8)

Cheers,

Alec

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
It is possible that they aren't recieving your emails. This does happen! Or they may just have terrible customer service.

Meanwhile, if it were mine I'd find a way to fix it -- apparently it is just missing a rather common screw that you may be able to source at a good hardware store for 25 cents.

I can't tell from Petrov's pics if the screws are carriage bolts or elevator bolts. Difference is the way the head is sloped, and also the square section on a carriage bolt is wider than the threads. On an elevator bolt, the square shank is the same width as the thread.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »
Oh -- looked again at Petrov's photo -- those appear to be ordinary carriage bolts. You should be able to find those at any decent hardware store for pennies a piece.

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 02:37:49 AM »
I would say that it is a carriage bolt, Flat round head sloped from higher top to sides, square section wider than threads. I am just wondering if this was deliberately designed like this. Since it is strange that the jigs seem to be standard, At any rate after 5 Emails there is no answer and none have been returned.

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 05:20:02 AM »
Thank you I have done some of that and it is beginning to move a bit. As an aside to Petrov and others that are using the Vertigo Jig. I would like your input on how it has helped your model work and some ways you have discovered on different uses you have found for it.

Thank you