Author Topic: 1/72nd Hannover Beta Build for Wayne McCullough  (Read 2965 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

1/72nd Hannover Beta Build for Wayne McCullough
« on: February 04, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »
All,

I started another little build tonight.  I volunteered to do a beta build of his unpublished model which is turning out to be lots of fun!  ;D

Here is the kit shot:

Firstly, you fold over and glue parts like the struts, tails, props etc. that need it. This part is really cool since one side of each of these pieces is much larger than needed so that when you cut on the "correct" side, you end up with a perfect fit and no white areas of miss match. Love it. I also embossed along all the fold lines so that forming the fuselage and tabs would be easier.

I followed the directions but I used the wooden bulkheads for doublers where they made sense.  Here you see those bulkheads doubled with the "wood" parts.

Then I cut out the tabs and fuselage parts and glued them together. Then, on to the gunner's tub. This is a tricky piece as you need to form it with a nice rounded contour in the cockpit opening to make it look right. This wasn't hard but just took time. I also glued in the gun ring temporarily as a way to help shape the rear cockpit. I still didn't get it completely circular...likely just me! Still, it looks pretty ok to my eye.

Then the formers were installed and the fuselage parts glued together. Just taking my time, everything lined up a treat. I was especially amazed by the black stripe and how the fuselage lines look almost seamless. Someone with more skill could, no doubt, do a better job.

Finally, I couldn't help adding the distinctive tails since those scream Hannover. Again, the parts fit almost perfectly and are straight "out of the box". Here it is as of tonight.

So for me, the biggest issues have been the rear cockpit (which is also highlighted as tough in the instructions) and the lower fuselage under the tail. Mine doesn't look quite right. I'll show a picture later.

All in all...great fun and I'm loving it.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/72nd Hannover Beta Build for Wayne McCullough
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »
Coming along nicely Dan, it's very interesting to see the process involved in assembling this model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
Thanks for looking, Des.  These little guys are plenty addictive.

All,

Got a bit more done.  Basically the cowling, engine, gun and wings are all done.  Looking good so far.  I also found out that I accidentally printed the model a little small so it's about 1/74th scale!  Oh, well...

Here are the cowling and lower wing spar parts.

Installed:

Wing parts:

Together:

Lower wing attached:

Tonight I'll try to get the upper wing on.  Steady as she goes.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:59:29 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:53:20 AM »
Thanks, folks. This one is another tribute the designer in my opinion. Just makes the builder look good (with a little care on my part!).

I got the top wings and struts on last night. This went very well. I still can't believe the tiny, thin struts are doubled over paper. Yes...it's slightly thicker stock than a piece of typing paper but still!

I'm not sure if this was intended, but I cut all the struts slightly long and cut the location slots out. This way, the struts are physically inserted into paper pockets. It's easy to do and the strut doesn't need to be as precise since you have some wiggle room in the cut out slot (depth anyway).

Here is the state of affairs:

Landing gear next...

Cheers,

Dan

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 02:03:07 AM »
Neat looking, great job building.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »
Thanks folks!

All,

She is ALMOST done.  I added the landing gear, the wheels, prop and several little details like tail struts, rear gun, radiator cap on the top wing and an elevator bell crank.  Now it really only needs to be rigged.

The wheels were really ingenious.  Usually, paper model wheels can be kind of clunky affairs where you simply role a thin strip around two circles.  It looks ok, but kind of boxy.  In this kit, you put the hubs together and then glue and wind a long, thin, "stepped" piece of paper around the rim.  It basically starts out thin, gets thicker and then ends up thin again giving the illusion of a formed tire.  I think it's a nice compromise and looks cool in this scale.  I'll be using it again!

Here you see the landing gear struts on and the wheels attached. And I straightened that cabane strut after seeing the picture!

Finally, I couldn't help put it next to the Breguet since they are the same scale (almost!) and by the same designer.  The Hannover was a small plane with almost fighter-like proportions so I don't think this is too far off.

On to the rigging tonight.   Maybe one more post tonight showing a finished plane??

Cheers and thanks for looking again,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 01:21:28 AM »
I seemed to have missed an outstanding build! I am always amazed at what can be achieved with folded card stock! Really great looking models!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler