Author Topic: Caudron G4 "Butterfly" C74 1916  (Read 38000 times)

Offline xan

Caudron G4 "Butterfly" C74 1916
« on: February 03, 2017, 05:16:05 AM »
Hi it's my turn to start the Caudron G4, the kit of the year for the WW1 aircaft models fans.

I don't need to details the quality of the kit, it have been shown before in this forum in detail.

As Xmald I will do a C74 plane, but another one , "the buterfly"

we will speak later about the squadron and the decoration.

When a modeler speak about caudron, he thinks of that:

ringging feast!

so I have to determinate first the choise I will made.

first of all the wire :
fishing nylon line, or EZ line?

usually I do prefer fishing line. But inthis case I have got blue EZ line wich could be very pratic for a caudron...

by the moment I stay in my position with fishing line. I have got 0.08mm, 0.1mm and 0.2mm, it will be OK

Anyway I saw in the wen blue nylon fishing line, wiich could be interesting too...

This one is a little bit too fluorescent in my opinion...
does anyone know wher I can fin 0.1mm blue line in the web?

second point the turnbuckles...

I have got three solutions: photoetched, brass Hollow pipe or gaspatsh turnbuckles

turnbuckles heve not all the same size...
i will surely use pipe for thin size as in the fuselage, and gaspatch in th wings for big turnbuckles...

Xmald and Jorgo what choise did you done?

I'm ready to hear aby oppinin, thanks ...

Xan

"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Caudron G4 "Butterfly" C74 1916
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:26:49 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you make a start on this excellent kit Xan.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline xmald

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:50:03 AM »
Congratulations on choosing the right kit!
Butterfly is a beauty! I was thinking about it but I wanted a plane with the wireless...
For this particular plane you need different propellers and the gun mount with a  Colt mg. I can only tell you to be a little bit patient cause there might be a solution for this problem coming soon ;))

I would go with fishing line cause you can't use any pipes for turnbuckles with ez line. Actually you don't need that many turnbuckles  ( pipe will do in most cases) because  the PE attachments for rigging make it really easier in majority of cases. I started the rigging process already so you can believe me; ))
BTW Gaspatch buckles are slightly too big and they seem perfect for 1 32nd scale anyway.
Best regards
Filip

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 09:38:48 PM »
Hi Xan,
I'll use fishing and Uschi line, turnbuckles from brass tubes, maybe some pe parts. It is possible to use tubes with ez or Uschi line, have already done that in 1/32 scale - we'll see

Best regards,
Jörg

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 10:49:57 PM »
Great xan, I'll follow thar closely. And I am sure that Nugesser sat in a Caudron G IV someday ... somehow... ;)
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline xmald

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 06:15:52 AM »
Hi Xan,
I'll use fishing and Uschi line, turnbuckles from brass tubes, maybe some pe parts. It is possible to use tubes with ez or Uschi line, have already done that in 1/32 scale - we'll see

Best regards,
Jörg

I guess when it comes to 1/32nd it isn`t a problem but when it comes to turnbuckles in 1/48th the problem is with the internal diameter of the tube and the elastic feature of the rigging material. This is why I suggest the fishing line. Also I do not use brass tube and/or any other metal ones. I use cotton buds (the plastic tube) stretched over flame, it allows me to acheive the effect that is appropriate to the scale. My tubes  have the internal diameter of approximately 0,16 mm. Here are my homemade buckles:
Best regards
Filip

Offline xan

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »
Butterfly is a beauty! I was thinking about it but I wanted a plane with the wireless...
So do I , that's why the decoration is not 100% sure...
For this particular plane you need different propellers and the gun mount with a  Colt mg. I can only tell you to be a little bit patient cause there might be a solution for this problem coming soon ;))
So do you my friend, 9 had chauvières propolers too:

But I know our angel guardian Edgard is working on it ;-)

I would go with fishing line cause you can't use any pipes for turnbuckles with ez line. Actually you don't need that many turnbuckles  ( pipe will do in most cases) because  the PE attachments for rigging make it really easier in majority of cases. I started the rigging process already so you can believe me; ))
BTW Gaspatch buckles are slightly too big and they seem perfect for 1 32nd scale anyway.
agree with you!

I am sure that Nugesser sat in a Caudron G IV
Sorry Borsos, no caudron for Nungesser but Voisin LA, (wich could be a future CSM project who knows...)

Xan

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:49:07 PM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:29:06 AM »
Here is the gegining...
wood effect was made with oil paint "raw sienna" up on a beige acrylic
The plane I will represent had no wireless telegraphy system, so I put extra ammo in the both observer side.
I was ready to scratch them when I saw CSM proposed 8 of them! thank you Edgar!

and of cours at the end most of details are hidden

next step, the engines...

Xan
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:37:31 AM »
Gorgeous work on the interior! I am looking forward to seeing your engines!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 01:06:09 AM »
Very nice beginning. Looking forward to your progress.   :D

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 01:29:44 AM »
Great progress so far, Xan. Looks very nice. And the Butterfly is a wonderful color scheme. I am keen on seeing it finished.
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 04:36:38 AM »
Extremely well done. Xan!

Best regards,
Jörg

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 05:41:16 AM »
How did I miss this? Another of those excellent Caudrons! You have made a tremendous start -I am really looking forward to more. I too thought of the butterfly win I built mine but I could not produce the necessary markings in 1/72 scale.

Stephen.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 06:35:36 AM »
Excellent work Xan, you have done a brilliant job with the interior work, I'm really looking forward to seeing this model progress.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »
Beautiful work on the innards, Xan!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence