Author Topic: HpH - H.P. O/400 kit  (Read 6381 times)

Offline petrov27

Re: HpH - H.P. O/400 kit
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »
Yeah... I know next to nothing about the Aviatik Berg but wow that hex camo is something else - very curious if HPH provides a solution for it (decals? masks?) or if the modeler is on their own....

That's exactly the sad thing (to me, at least): We know all and everything about "Mustang, Spitfire, Messerschmitt" and Fokker, as well as all and everything about the fierce battles in and for the trenches on the Western Front, but close to nothing about the "rest" of the so called Great War. And why? Because we are well satisfied with what we are offered, Fokkers and Sopwiths boldly fighting over the trenches of the Western Front. There we get all we want: Bravery, tension and a bit of tragedy! Are we historians? Do we want to know reasons for the facts and fictions? No, we don't.

Well, speaking for myself, seeing a really nice kit of a type I am unfamiliar with is one thing that will kick off my interest in the history around it and gets the ball rolling to find and or purchase the background on how it was used, the pilots that flew it, etc.
-Patrick

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »
I'll admit that a 1/32 Tigercat is Awesome!!! I'll have to do one in RN Markings though, maybe even a Grey over white USN one and I guess a "real" one in blue.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 09:58:17 AM »
Getting back on track, the Berg if it is the same price of the M5 will be in the USD  $100-160 range plus postage.  Box art shows  the printed camo scheme, wonder who does their decals ??

Who knows how many pieces for the 0/400,  price could be any where from $250 to $500+.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
Like Nigel I'd have an issue with "housing" the 0/400, same reason I won't be doing a Felixstowe anytime soon. On the other hand the Berg looks really interesting, expensive March indeed once several Camels and an LVG C.VI "re-pop" are factored into the budget! We are indeed spoiled by the surge in Kits in the big scale! (no complaints here ;))
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
The HpH HP 0/400 will demand a hefty price, I'm tipping the 350 - 400 mark but it will be a very impressive kit with a wingspan nudging 1m, huge to say the least.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »
Yes, would be great in all aspects.
If they enable to build the plane with flapped on wings I will buy it. Saw a picture of this situation, making the plane looking very interesting.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Russell

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »
I think the prices of the larger models from HpH such as Concorde & Catalina give a guide as to the likely price range of the O/400.

The rigging on the aircraft will have to be ‘working structural’ with that wingspan, even if it was from the usual styrene. Resin wings are typically heavier though plus the material can be subject to ‘creep’ when under any appreciable load hence supportive rigging being vital.

HpH don’t only use just ‘plain’ resin for their kits, they make limited use of what is effectively a reinforced resin & also a type of fibreglass for some of their largest components. Additionally they can cast in metal rods (mainly used for wing attachments) but none of these are either applicable or of much effective help for very long & relatively thin wings. It will be interesting to see how they tackle the structural integrity of the model. They I’m assuming it will be a white metal undercarriage!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 05:06:01 PM »
This is a fascinating project engineering-wise, like Russell alluded to. There's no way I can afford one anytime soon so I'm keen to follow along once the more talented gals and guys get theirs.

If only LSP worked for me right now so I could see it!

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
I have seen the Catalina and to say it looked daunting is a bit of an understatement...
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 01:23:48 AM »
Yes, but the big Catalina is a gorgeous model, and just wants patience to do the paint and assembly. LOTS of bits to line up when lining up the fuselage halves. The 0/400 will need the same patience when rigging. My biggest models are the B-25, and He-219, and Felix. Can't go larger until I get a new case.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 02:29:04 AM »
Yeah, their kits do take an extra amount of work but I think you can get some good results from them...

This is my only HPH kit build so far and it has not been too bad at all but definitely far more work than a similar plastic kit would be:

-Patrick

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 04:02:48 AM »
Wow. Too big for me. I know some of you guys really like those giants but i just wouldnt know what to do with that big model after its built impressive as it would look.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »
Maybe they are the folks to bug for a Staaken!