Author Topic: New Wicker seats  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

New Wicker seats
« on: January 13, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »
I see Barracuda Studios have just announced two new wicker seats to fit the Camel. They look to have increased the width to the correct size compared to the previous undersized versions and as with all Barracuda offerings look absolutely superb.

Something to add to the back order for the Camel I think ;)

Tug

No connection BTW just happy :)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: New Wicker seats
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »
An excellent product, I have already ordered two sets.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:55:49 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Just had a look on their website but could only find new realeases for the seats in 1/48 and 1/72. Do you have a link for the new 1/32 offering by chance?
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Hannover

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Just had a look on their website but could only find new realeases for the seats in 1/48 and 1/72. Do you have a link for the new 1/32 offering by chance?

Here you go  http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32234  http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32233

HTH

H

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:50:19 PM »
That's great. Many thanks

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 11:25:17 PM »
Thanks, will order now.   :D

Offline Derrick

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:04:53 AM »
I had order these originally when they came out, not sure if they are the correct width or not but think I will wait to order those (with some other stuff) from him, just to be sure I don't get the old stock.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 06:22:52 AM »
   Using Hannover's Link I can only find ones with the same Stock Number as the original ones I got several years back. Are we talking "apples and apples" or have I not located the new ones?? :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
Here is a link to the review I did on these seats some time ago when they were first released;

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5571.0

The product number on the review items is exactly the same as the product number on the seats just recently advertised so I am presuming the seats are the same. I have used these seats in some of my scratch builds and found them to be an excellent product. I have ordered another two sets just to keep as spares.

Des.

Offline TonyP

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »
I seem to recall that the first issue of these seats had accidentally been moulded too narrow, and that the intention was to reissue them with the correct width. Is anyone able to confirm this?
I used one of the seats in a Bristol Fighter, and I had to cut the base out and spread the sides to fit the kit seat cushion.

Tony P

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »
Hi Des - you may recall that when I did my Camel build I felt that the Barracuda seats were out of scale width wise. I contacted Roy Sutherland of Barracuda -

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 2:30 AM, Tug & Sue <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello ‘Guys’,

I have a question pertaining to the superbly detailed wicker seats you have produced.

I have purchased the small single seat package for fighters. I am just about to fit this to a Hobby Craft Camel (the model build is here should you feel you need to see - http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6180.0 ) and whilst forming a cushion for it yesterday began to feel it looks rather under scale.

Measuring it across the open end gives a 10mm width which scaled would be 320mm just around 13”. Given the amount of clothing a pilot would wear I’m sure you would agree that this would be a bit of a squeeze.

Having used several Barracuda items in the past accuracy and detail is obviously foremost in your products so I am wondering do I actually have a 1/48 seat in a 1/32 package? as at 480mm scaled this would be a much more a likely width. Having said that however, checked against a Wingnut Wings Sopwith Snipe seat it is the same height at the centre back but much much narrower at the opening.

I should assure you, though I no longer have the package I definitely bought a ‘1/32’ package as marked.

Any help you can shed on this would be much appreciated

Kind regards

Yours – Ramon Wilson

He replied -

Hi Ramon.

Sorry for the slow response.

You are correct. I went back to the artist and asked about the sizing. He was embarrassed that he had forgotten to make the 16" dimension on the inside of the seat, instead of outside. Being wicker, the structure is about an inch thick, making the usable seat dimension too small.

We will be reprinting this seat, but its going to take 3-4 weeks to get the new seats into production. I am gone for the next week or so to a show in the UK. Then we need a few weeks to get the set into production. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Can you send me your mailing address so i can be sure to get your order shipped ASAP?

Thanks.  Roy

I'm assuming - indeed hoping Des, that given that you say the number is the same, that Roy has reproduced the seats to the correct scale - even if it has taken a bit longer than three to four weeks he thought it might  :D Can't think why he would announce announce it as a new moulding? We'll have to see. One thing's for certain the originals are well underscale widthwise but fine in all other directions and as you rightly say superb mouldings

Regards - Tug

PS I should point out that this concerned the single seat package - I don't know if the pack of two suffered in a similar manner though I would have thought the smaller of the two seats inside would have been the same as in the single package

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 07:34:50 AM »
You are absolutely correct Tug, I also contacted Roy back in 2015 and voiced my concerns and received a very similar response to what you did. Even though the product number is the same the seats may be of a different size, I will check this when my seats arrive against one of the older seats I still have in my spares box.

I received an email from Barracuda Studios last week with the wicker seats being advertised, I ordered directly from the latest email so I am hoping that the seats are the newly revised editions, even though the part number is the same.

Des.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:40:34 AM by Des »

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
Sound promising Des - perhaps you'd let me know when you get them, I'll get some from Hannants when they're in stock.

Tug

Offline Hannover

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »
The links I posted are from Barracuda's latest news email. So I assume this are a new release and probably re-sized. Just using the same reference numbers.

H

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »
Sound promising Des - perhaps you'd let me know when you get them, I'll get some from Hannants when they're in stock.

Tug
Hannants do have some  but I'm not sure if they are new are old stock.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BCR32233
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BCR32234
One good thing about Hannants is that they let you know if you've ordered this before and I had so I dug into my haul and got BCR32234 out and measured it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:21:17 PM by TobyCoulson »