Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W29  (Read 5851 times)

Offline chris_jephcott

Re: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W29
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 11:54:17 PM »
It's been a good few days since I posted anything on here, however, work has been progressing. I've spent the last week really doing jobs around the house, but in my spare time I've managed to get the underside of the wings completed. So, here's a little bit more detail as to how I've done it.

First of all, I paint the wing in Gunze Randome. It's a nice neutral colour, not a million miles off a linen type shade. I got for a rough coat here, because a lot more detail will be added in the next stages:

When this is dry, I do a thin coat of Gunze Sail colour in a random pattern in order to add a shading effect into the mix already:

I then mask off the ribs with various widths of Tamiya masking tape, in order prevent any form of overspray:

Then I sprayed this with a thinned layer of Gunze off-white. This is how it turns out with the masking tape removed:

I then use Humbrol weathering powder along each rib. This is intentionally a bit too heavy:

Then an overspray of very thinned Randome (50/50 mix) and a very small touching up of the ribs with a subtle hint more of powder and this is how it ends up:

What I like about this technique is that when it's viewed from a distance, the ribs are very subtle - however, as you get closer, the whiter shade of the ribs are visible as shown by this distance shot against a close up of the elevators:

Anyway, that's all for now... please pass any criticism and comments - this is really the first time I've done this, so any feedback is very much appreciated!

Chris
Currently building: WNW Hansa-Brandenburg W29

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 12:02:04 AM »
This one is really coming together quite well! I like your color choices and the Hex application looks great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 01:58:22 AM »
Outstanding work and your color choice and shading is great.  Looking forward to your next post.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 03:22:37 AM »
That is a novel way of getting the variations in tone on the undersides of the wings. Personally I think it is very effective, especially the random variation in colour achieved in the first two stages. Natural or clear doped linen colours are so variable and difficult to achieve that I think that many variations are quite acceptable on models - yours is no exception.

Stephen.

Offline ondra

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 03:27:26 AM »
Very nice job on the masking, Chris, the effect looks very interesting!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 04:12:06 AM »
   The undersurface CDL effect is very nicely done Chris. I'm a great fan of Chalk Pastel powder for Post Shading much the same as you've done here and I intend to try your method of following it with more paint, very effective!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 05:57:14 AM »
Great tutorial on your CDL painting, Chris! It turned out really well.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 06:02:20 AM »
Thank you very much everybody!

I've put a gloss coat onto the wings now and will hopefully get a decal or two done later this week, possibly starting with the hexagonal patterns.

Glad you all think it looks good - it's not quite finished just yet though.

There's a lot more work on the fuselage to do too before I can consider joining the wings on - but hopefully I'll get a decent amount of this done this week.

Thank you very much again!

Chris

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 11:50:51 PM »
Chris-
Did you apply the decals to the elevator and upper rear fuselage right over the (virgin) plastic, or did you apply some clear first? Hard to tell in the pictures. Lovely work!

Glenn

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 02:49:34 AM »
Hi Glenn,

I promise I'll write and update at some point - just a bit busy at the moment!

I applied them over a gloss coat.

As an aside, does anyone have any experiences with WNW decals wrinkling at all? Mine have been horrific, and have taken a lot of work. I swear next time that I will spray the Balkenkreuz on!!

All the best,

Chris

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 03:10:52 AM »
Hi Glenn,

I promise I'll write and update at some point - just a bit busy at the moment!

I applied them over a gloss coat.

As an aside, does anyone have any experiences with WNW decals wrinkling at all? Mine have been horrific, and have taken a lot of work. I swear next time that I will spray the Balkenkreuz on!!

All the best,

Chris

Chris,
    I've had nothing but exceptionally great performance from WNW Decals; Although I've only used their lozenge on one Build, on the rest, at least five subjects, I've used Aviattic Decals for the Lozenge areas. On the WNW Decals I usually add Microset (blue label) setting solution and very occasionally a small touch of the red label Microsol on raised detail. I have read here on a few occasions that other decal setting products can make them difficult as they seem stronger in their effect. Are you using any enhancers on yours?
Cheers,
Lance