Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W29  (Read 5847 times)

Offline chris_jephcott

Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W29
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:21:03 AM »
Hello everybody,

Now that I've got myself comfortable in here, I figured it was time that I shared the work I've been doing on the Wingnut Wings W29. So starting off, the usual bit of background: this is my first serious WW1 aircraft kit. I love Wingnut Wings kits (as do most on here I guess!) and I've managed to collect them all over the course of the last 5 years or so - although I'm still missing a Duallist boxing or two, this kit comes from the Duallist box that includes the W29 and the Early Felixstowe. Despite my model making friends egging me on to try the Felixstowe (yeah, right?!), this kit almost fell into my hands. I already have the separate W29 and it made a lot of sense for me to start making these kits by doing one that I have a duplicate of. As you can expect, it has been a learning curve and I'm still learning a lot. So please... please... please! Help me. Any help, criticism, pointers, discussion items, if I've done it wrong or whatever, please tell me. I must stress that I'm on a very steep learning curve and I'm constantly looking to improve the look of parts and sub assemblies.

Anyway, with that done... I'll post the photos and a brief description. As I said, I'm not so much looking for perfection on this build - good enough will do!

So...

I started this build by assembling the engine. It's painted in Alclad Aluminium primarily, with Tamiya flat black cylinders and various details painted in Steel. I've not gone to town on the scratchbuilding on this - I added the wiring retainer and various bits of wire to bring the engine to life a bit more. The chances are that I'll probably end up having the cowling removable on one side only. Weathered using various powders, and washes. When I thought I'd done a bit too much, I simply resprayed a very low pressure alclad over the top, which made a nice thin line, and muted down the weathering:

I then started work on the cockpit area. The wood effect is the usual Tamiya Deck Tan sprayed down first and then Artists oils applied over the top. I noted from various other builds that the wood in the cockpit area of the W29 was a beautiful mahogany style colour, so to achieve this, I used Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna colours. I randomly applied them in "splodges" (technical term!) and then using a sponge, dragged it out and blended it. When it was blended, I attacked it with the old flat brush and dragged to get the grain effect. Personally, I'm happy with the result of this. I didn't use any Clear Orange or Yellow and simply sprayed Alclad Semi-Matt varnish on top, to seal in the work. The Fuel Tank and seats were painted with Gunze and Tamiya paints. Weathering was the same as the engine - I initially always do too much, and then mute it back with a thin layer of paint:

The cockpit area was built up pretty quickly once the artists oils had dried:

I then zipped it up and did some dry fitting just to see how it looks:

Although this isn't as high tech as some rigging that I've seen on the website, I decided to opt for a simple rigging inside the cockpit. This is simply just monofilament fishing line with a thin piece of Brass tube attached. I also made a little snip in the side of the boxes to run the cables through and also created a slot on the top line to feed the cable through.

A bit more dry fitting and the cockpit combings were added and sanded down. Now this was one area when I found the fit to be a little snug. It's probably due to the paint layers building up, and after a bit of sanding and resanding, I finally got these into the correct place and glued in. A small dab of filler was needed - although I am sure that this is my doing and not the kit!

Then I glued on the tailplane - and dry fitted the top of the wings, just to get an idea of the size! I couldn't help myself...

And that's where I'm up to now... Really enjoying this build, it's interesting, different and challenging. Everything that a good build should be.

Thanks for reading!!

Chris
Currently building: WNW Hansa-Brandenburg W29

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W29
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:07:34 AM »
Hi Chris, very nicely done.  Others with better eyesight might find something to help you achieve a better look, but I cannot find anything to add to your build.  Great start, looking forward to your progress.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:52:21 AM »
An excellent start. You are clearly no novice when it comes to modelling as your pictures show. Looking forward to following this one - I can see a first class model in the making here.

Stephen.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:03:32 AM »
You are making excellent progress with this kit Chris, the engine turned out very well and the fuselage interior is superb, you has used a great choice of wood colours and all the internal details are perfectly painted, the instrument panel looks great. One very important aspect of Wingnut kits is their very close tolerances, all traces of paint have to be removed from any mating surfaces or issues will arise. Looking forward to following along with this awesome build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 06:48:06 AM »
Nice start Chris,

You look on the right track already... ;) keep us posted.

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 07:24:40 AM »
Thank you very much to everyone for your kind comments and encouragement!

I'm hoping that I can do the kit the justice it deserves.

So... quick question time. I normally use gunze paints for the external works and found an ok match for the German Naval Blue/Grey in the form of 307/308 (I think... in bed at the moment as I'm an early tomorrow). How about the underside though? I'm planning on using the same colour but with a mix of off white in it in order to match this up? Would that sound about right?

Many thanks again for all your comments... I really appreciate them.

Chris

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »
For the underside side of the fuselage and tail plane I painted them using Humbrol No.65 Aircraft Blue, it is a matt paint.

For the underside of the wings I used Gunze H318 Radome, probably not the exact colour but it looks pretty good, full build log here if you are interested;

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page24.html

Des.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:04:47 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »
Hello Chris,
great start or better great build, everything looks very,very good so I can't give you any hint to improve something.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
Great start Chris! The darker wood tones are harder to pull off and you have done an admirable job! Looking terrific to date.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline steveb

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »
Wow, really nice!

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 12:57:58 AM »
Chris,
    I've been quietly watching your Build here while working on my (similar) W.12 Kit; you are producing a real winner and, as Steven pointed out a few posts back, are certainly no novice at the modelling bench! Are you going to use the Kit Decals for the "Hex" or has the "Aviattic Fever" struck you?! Either or, you have a real winner in the making here, welcome again to the Forum!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 01:57:34 AM »
Des - thank you very much for the information. When time allows, I'll have a little spray down with some other colour just to add a bit of interest to the uniform paint coat for the top sides. Really appreciate the information for the underside colour. Assuming Humbrol 65, I believe a decent match will be akin to RLM65. It'll be muted down a bit though on a second coat. Your build is really superb Des - if I can make this one turn out half as well as yours, it'll be a great success!

So thank you very much to everybody. I've sprayed on a bit of paint over the last couple of days, but run out of time a bit. In the next week or so though, I'll hopefully be able to provide some photos of the fuselage - at least when I'm happy with the paint!!

So thanks for your comments so far everybody... Really looking forward to the next stage in this build now - painting the fuselage properly!

Chris

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 04:27:53 AM »
Welcome to the Forum and really nice work ! await more...

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 04:44:11 AM »
So... a quick update now as to where I am. Apologies again - the photos aren't the best quality, but I will address this in the future!

I've been busy painting the W29. The paints I've been using so far are mainly Gunze - 307 and 308, which give a nice glossy texture and a very gentle bluish tinge, and Tamiya XF83 - which is what the instructions actually call for. Between the three colours here, I've been able to mix and change around a bit, and added a very subtle post shade, in order to make it look a little bit more realistic:

I then added the Hexagonal decals around the tail and rear fuselage. These generally went on very well, a small application of microsol and a trim down using a new Swann-Morton blade as required though in order to make them conform to the shape of the tailplane:

A brief play about with some weathering powder, and this is how it's ended up:

The wings are in fact still dry fitted at the moment, and I know that the powder looks a little heavy as it stands - I'll be muting this down tomorrow if I get 10 mins in the man cave, then hopefully applying the rest of the fuselage markings. Then a gloss coat to seal in the work, and then onto various finishing techniques, including making the combings and cowling gloss.

Coming next will be the cowling, the wings and rudder. But as again, I'm really enjoying building this kit... It's a cut above anything I've ever tried to make before!

Thanks for looking,

Chris

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 12:07:46 AM »
Chris,
Your painting and weathering are looking fantastic to my eyes! The lozenge application is very well done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler