Author Topic: Something quick and easy: Eduard 1/48 Oeffag D.III OOB  (Read 8004 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Something quick and easy: Eduard 1/48 Oeffag D.III OOB
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
I have learned, there are no quick and easy builds in the WW1 aircraft modelling.  ;)
Anyway, despite the title, I like very much your work on this Albatros, Bud. Fine wood, covered with the leaf camo. I am looking forward to see more (and then to your return to Grigorovich)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »
Bud,
Nice recovery from the Sharpie incident! The wood decals looked terrific. Almost a shame to cover them with your beautiful work on the Camo  ;D As always a fantastic piece of work !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 05:08:26 AM »
Terrific work, Bud! I like the camo, how did you make it?

Highest regards,
Jörg

Offline Brez

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
HaHa ;D I thought that title would bring some comments, I've got three "quick and easy" DVIIs in a box - unfinished!
Lovely work on the camo Bud, is that sworl decal on the rudder from Mirage?

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »
Very nice work, hope you enjoy your build.
Bye,Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 03:37:08 AM »
That's looking really good, Bud! It's a very appealing subject in a great colour scheme. I do like your wood effects. That particular colour scheme will be quite striking! Modelling is often just recovery from disasters and you have handled that very well! ATB, Marc

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 03:47:49 AM »
I agree with Prez - WW1models are never quick or easy - at least not in my experience. However you are applying your usual skill and patience and making a super job of this one. Shame about the Sharpie but it does not show now - excellent recovery.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 03:58:29 AM »
I'm a little late picking up on this one Bud. Nasty experience with the Sharpie, great recovery. I like the Uschi Wood Decals and the leaf camo is really nicely finished. As for quick and easy, I've done a few of those, or rather started a few that "morphed" into the standard test of resolve and patience almost immediately. I suppose a snap together 12 piece from the 60's might qualify for that title..........! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
Thanks so much, guys!  Sorry (again) to take so long to respond, but we have a new dog who's been eating up nearly all of my spare time.

He's a 2 year old German Shepard that we got from the County Animal Shelter.  He's super smart and learns very quickly, just like his namesake (sorry, Bo), but he is, after all, only 2.  It's getting better.  Now he stays out of the model room unless I invite him in, then he lays at my feet while I'm working.
I did manage to get the bottom wings on and started the rigging anchors.  Shouldn't take long to finish now. 
Yeah, about that easy build stuff.  I've built two of these Eduard Oeffags already and one of them I converted to a D.II and both were just that.  Quick and easy.  I guess the odds were against me on this one.  It's all relative, I s'pose.
HaHa ;D I thought that title would bring some comments, I've got three "quick and easy" DVIIs in a box - unfinished!
Lovely work on the camo Bud, is that sworl decal on the rudder from Mirage?
Thanks, Tony. Yep, they are the Mirage decals.  They were extraordinarily brittle and fragmented when I tried to slide them off the backing.  Every surface is made up of multiple fragments pieced together.

Terrific work, Bud! I like the camo, how did you make it?
Thanks, Jörg.  I used Model Master Euro Green, thinned, dabbed on with two small sponge pieces.  I used enamel because it's slow drying and smoothed out nicely.
Hoping to finish this one quickly as I have 3 Camels on the way and I'm expecting the Copper State FK8 will be released soon.  I want to jump right on that one.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:53:53 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Brez

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 06:35:05 PM »
Hi Bud, he's a handsome chap, your new pal.

Thanks, Tony. Yep, they are the Mirage decals.  They were extraordinarily brittle and fragmented when I tried to slide them off the backing.  Every surface is made up of multiple fragments pieced together.
Thanks for the warning on the decals, I'll give mine a coat of Microscale decal film if I ever get around to using them.
I must say though, they look really good in place, and you'd never guess that they didn't go on in one piece.

Cheers,
Tony.

Offline boggie

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »
Greetings Bud.

Nice camo!

Your nom de plume is certainly appropriate.

I can definately see some magic there!  :)

Your new buddy looks very special too.  :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »
The wing camo looks great in spite of the fracturing! Bo looks like a terrific Animal! Two of my favorite dogs from the past were German Shepard. Like yours they learned quickly... and both were very loyal and protective!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 02:02:31 AM »
    Well Bud, WWI Aircraft Models aren't our only common interest.................!

Thor at 8 years. (He's just turned 10) The sixth German Shepherd I've had the pleasure of owning over a lifetime. He dropped out of the RCMP's Dog Programme and quickly became a loyal and much enjoyed member of our household. Oh, and of course, beautiful Albie, great looking scheme and spectacularly finished!
Cheers,
Lance

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 02:14:38 AM »
Beautiful aircraft and dog/family member.