Author Topic: Something quick and easy: Eduard 1/48 Oeffag D.III OOB  (Read 7962 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Something quick and easy: Eduard 1/48 Oeffag D.III OOB
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
The Grigorovich was beginning to wear me down, so as a means of taking a break, I've started this one.

She'll be mostly OOB in this scheme:

Using Uschi decals for the wood, which will be almost entirely covered by the summer leaf camo.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Re: Something quick and easy: Eduard 1/48 Oeffag D.III OOB
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
Thanks, Bo!
I actually started this project around the end of November, but what was supposed to be "quick and easy", wasn't.  After applying all of the wood grain decals to the fuselage, I began "painting" the metal fittings with a new silver Sharpie.  Should've tested it first.  As soon as I touched the tip of the pen to the first hatch cover, the ink virtually erupted forth, destroying the underlying decal.

Fortunately, only one panel was damaged and it was an easy fix.  Just set me back a few days.  I thought I had photographed the repair, but I seem to have photographed the other side.  Oh, well.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:17:02 AM »
Know what you mean by needing a break from challenging projects . It is good , gives you time to sit back and enjoy a easy build . Relaxes the mind and gets the ideas flowing once more . Going to enjoy tagging along for this one Bud , so far you are to an excellent start and beautiful eye catching scheme !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »
Thank you, T!  I always appreciate the support and enjoy your company!
Work has progressed and the fuselage painting and decal work is nearly completed.  Just a bit of weathering and detail painting to be done.

This is how she sits as of today.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »
I use to use sharpies for detailing , but over time the ink will bleed it the surrounding area ruining the paint job . Not sure if it will bleed through decals . I would be careful using a sharpie Bud . She sure looks awesome though !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice, T, but I've been using Sharpies for detailing since I got back into modeling about 10 years ago.  I always seal them with an acrylic clear coat.  This is the first time I've ever had a problem.  Needless to say, that pen went straight into the bin.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  Yeah.  Quick 'n easy.  It's all relative, I suppose.  In spite of it all, this is so much easier than a resin Grigorovich M.5 with no instructions.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 01:42:07 PM »
Good save on that one - way to stick with it!! Nice detailing, by the way.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline steveb

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
Looking good!

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:16:02 PM »
Thank you, Gary and Steve!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
Bud,

You should know there's no such thing as a 'quick & easy' build!

Looks lovely though.. the wood was beautifully done - seems a shame to cover it up.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
Hi Bud,
I missed that build till now - don't know, why.
Very nice start on this one, those Austrian Albatrosses are really a different thing aesthetically.
Love your camouflage technique!
Best wishes
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »
Not sure that's what I'd class as a quick and easy build. I'd use a HobbyBoss kit for that.  :)
Lovely work and the camouflage looks wonderful. Like the idea of using Ushi's wood panelling first. Look forward to seeing this develop.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 08:59:07 PM »
Great start Bud, here's hoping that your quick build will go smoother.  Love the effect with the wood and camo (especially the rudder).