Author Topic: post war dh.9a Camelback  (Read 1044 times)

Offline janh

post war dh.9a Camelback
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
i am currently in the process of prepairing a conversion kit (with the kind help of master modeller Bo Monroe) to change the fuselage of wnw 32061 into the '20s policing version. Documentation of the subject is sparse. i only know of the line drawing in Windsock 139. the conversion has been done before by Bill van Heerden, recently presented at Telford 2016 in exactly the livery i'd like to make en bij Dave Coulthard from Kiwiland a few years back even before the advent of de postwar kit (KUDOS to him). doe anyone know of some decent documentation on the subject. i have asked Ray Rimmel but in windsock inernational this subject has not been covered on a more elaborate scale than now  in my posession. He referred to vol. 20/3 and 23/4

Online macsporran

Re: post war dh.9a Camelback
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
Have you tried the DH4/DH9 File from Air Britain? This is an excellent source (316 pages) for much information. I got a copy not too long ago from them, so it might still be available.
If you have any particular serial numbers I can check what it might have for you.
Sandy

Offline janh

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »
my interest is on H3433 as depicted on het back of part 2 of the Windsock mono(duo)graph
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:58:15 AM by janh »

Offline janh

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:49:29 AM »
Have you tried the DH4/DH9 File from Air Britain? This is an excellent source (316 pages) for much information. I got a copy not too long ago from them, so it might still be available.
If you have any particular serial numbers I can check what it might have for you.
Sandy
i've seen the book last sunday at Flash Aviation in Eindhoven, the Netherlands during a meeting of my regional IPMS chapter. unfortunately there is no detail i could find to make the conversion project easier. it's a nice book on the history of the type tough

Online macsporran

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:10:51 AM »
Hi Jan, just checked but no pictorial info on H3433, I'm afraid as you say. Says it was with 30Sqdn in 1924, 8Sqdn in 1925 and 30Sqdn in 1926 where it carried the "A" designation.

By the way I also checked the AB site and the DH4/9 file is currently still available for the ludicrous price of £12.
S

Offline janh

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:52:10 AM »
did too to check that we were discussing the same book

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 02:06:00 AM »
Just chiming in to note that I'm actively following this thread. :)  I'm definitely NOT a DH.9A expert so will have ears firmly cocked.

Jan has had a WNW fuselage sprue forwarded, which finally arrived just before the holidays. I think there is enough basis there to derive the substitute parts. I was surprised (being unfamiliar with this particular kit) that the rear sides are separate pieces (on another sprue of course), and unfortunately the gun ring etc are also on different sprues.

As far as the fuselage conversion goes, I've a thought of mixing some very new, as well as some not so new modeling methods... ;)