Author Topic: A good morning from Hinckley, Leicestershire  (Read 3203 times)

Offline chris_jephcott

A good morning from Hinckley, Leicestershire
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
A very good morning to everybody on this forum,

My name is Chris and I'm new here. I live in a little village just outside Hinckley, UK, called Stoke Golding.

I've been making models now for many years and contributed to a good few other forums, but over the course of the last 24 months or so, I've increasingly found myself getting into the world of WW1 Model Aircraft, which culminated in a large scale purchase session of the Wingnut Wings kits - to the extent that I have every one of them, excluding a couple of Duallist boxings, but eventually, I can see myself falling for these too!!

With that in mind, I'm just now attempting my first WNW kit - a Hansa-Brandenburg W29 from the Duallist set and so far, I am really enjoying it a lot. So there will be many more to come!!

Apart from model aircraft, I fly for a well known UK scheduled airline based out of Birmingham, and spend my other time either running, cycling or playing guitar. Or possibly dreaming about playing golf better than I actually do!!

Anyway, nice to meet you all and I look forward to contributing more to this forum over the forthcoming years!

Thank you very much,

Chris
Currently building: WNW Hansa-Brandenburg W29

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: A good morning from Hinckley, Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Hello Chris and welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to your participation with the forum and its members, I also look forward to seeing your Hansa-Brandenburg W29.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »
Hi Chris, welcome aboard.
This is a great source of informations about these old planes and an outstanding almanarch of modeling techiques.
I hope you have fun here.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »
Thank you very much for your welcomes - I've spent the last hour or so exploring and in doing so, have managed to find out so much more information that I had done from all other sites, so thank you very much!

I'll hopefully be able to put some photos of the W29 on here asap - it's slow progress at the moment, mainly because it's just come away from Christmas and we got married in October, so there's a lot of things to do around the house, but progress is being made. Slowly.

I'd also stress that this first kit is a learning curve for me too - although I'm used to making models, it really is a different art form!!

Chris

Offline xan

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
welcome chris. You will enjoy for sure in this forum.
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:58:41 PM »
Hello Chris,

It's a great forum and looking forward to your build logs.

I'm a pilot too, play golf and the guitar badly, and love Wingnuts!

All the best,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:38:33 PM »
Welcome to the forums Chris  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:05 PM »
Welcome aboard Chris,
I'm also a pilot, flying King Air 300s out of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, although I'm originally from High Wycombe. There are quite a few others here who fly too. I'm no expert on WnW kits but there are many here who are so feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Ian

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:13:19 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum! I am sure you'll love it here.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 01:02:39 AM »
   Welcome to the Forum from a retired "airframe driver" Chris, this is "the" place for WWI Aircraft modelling. With acquisition of the entire WNW inventory it sounds like you are serious about the WWI era; I look forward to seeing your work. Best wishes for an enjoyable experience here, great source and wonderful people!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 01:16:00 AM »
Hello Chris and welcome to this truly inspiring forum.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 01:36:30 AM »
Welcome aboard, Chris!  As others have said and you've already discovered for yourself, this is the best forum on the net for all things related to WWI aircraft.  I look forward to seeing your W.29.
Cheers,
Bud

PS- On our next trip to Telford in 2018 our return flight will be out of Birmingham so perhaps we'll catch a lift with you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:53:50 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 04:44:22 AM »
Welcome, Chris! Good to have you on board! I'm sure there will be lots of inspiration and useful tips on the site for you - WNW kits are fun! Regards, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 06:35:41 AM »
Welcome aboard, Chris!  As others have said and you've already discovered for yourself, this is the best forum on the net for all things related to WWI aircraft.  I look forward to seeing your W.29.
Cheers,
Bud

PS- On our next trip to Telford in 2018 our return flight will be out of Birmingham so perhaps we'll catch a lift with you.

As always I agree with my Amigo Bud! Welcome to the best Forum on the Net, especially for WW1 aircraft!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:42 AM »
Hi everybody,

Well thank you very much for the very enthusiastic welcome. I'm pretty delighted to be here and hope that this forum will provide me with a lot of entertainment and tips as my building progresses! So far, I've learnt a great deal just from reading around and reading top tips and even tried several out this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do a bit more tomorrow too as my wife is at work when I get back.

I'll just create a build thread for my W29, I've been uploading photos to photobucket this afternoon from my phone - so I can only apologise about the quality (or lack of it!) of them. However, hopefully, you'll all be able to give me some pointers as to how to make it all better from now on in.

Thank you very much for the welcome again - great to know there's a good few pilots on here too! I know of a couple more who are just as WNW obsessed as I am!!!

Chris

coyotemagic - I'll have a look - if anyone out there flies with Monarch out of BHX regularly, please say hello!