Author Topic: WNW Post War Brisfit  (Read 16361 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: WNW Post War Brisfit
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2017, 05:56:06 AM »
Awesome work, Guy!  Love that aluminum doped finish.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
Thank you Bud, Des & Rick,

So, after a huge modelling battle of epic proportions  :P  the top wing is finally on  ;)

If you'd been in my garage during the battle your vocabulary would have been expanded somewhat. I think I even made up some new expletives  :o  I definitely need to address this for future builds. I have this heavy wing wavering about trying to locate 12 wafer thin struts - as soon as one is in another pops out, then just as I was getting the last strut in - I knocked the top wing and they all popped out "*€$@£#%"

I've never had a jig before but please, please point me to a thread where a 'how to' method is shown...

In retrospect, I should have fixed the centre section, sanded down the connection tab so it slides in easily then fitted each wing one at a time - there would have been enough flex to pop the struts in one by one...

Guy

Ps please change my forum status to 'novice' Des  ???

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2017, 10:26:58 PM »
At least you won the battle in the end Guy! The two WNW I have assembled with multiple struts, the Snipe and Salmson had really sturdy cabanes so I was able to glue the wing on and then just pop in the other eight struts with little difficulty. I also just used this method for the SE5a. The Brisfit cabanes look a little less sturdy so your choice of attaching the 4 inner struts is probably sound although I think it could be done with the outer wings in place. I will try that method if and when I get to my Brisfit  ::) Yours looks awesome now that the upper wing is in fitted and the rigging anchored!

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2017, 12:46:26 AM »
Guy,
    I just recently posted this photo under Hints and Tips in Silver Wings' article about the Vertigo Jig. This is the AeroClub Biplane Assembly Jig, and it's worth it's weight in gold! Although I believe it's no longer on the Market I've seen them for sale several times recently, once on this Site.
    The beauty of this tool is that, once you've set the "sweep" and gap between the bottom and upper wing (from your scale 3 Views) and with most Builds set the cabanes the upper wing can be attached first to the cabanes, then the outer bay struts "popped in", all the while with the upper wing secured to the assembly.

I'll add a few more shots to give you the idea......

Hope this hasn't diverted your Thread; if you can find one of these I'd highly recommend it. The others on the market could fairly easily be enhanced to allow for sweep and clamping of the upper if they don't have that feature. I find the Jig indispensable on Roden and other Models that don't have the fine engineering qualities of the Wingnut kits and also a bonus to the latter projects as well.
    Very nice "Biff" now that She's together!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2017, 04:57:26 AM »
Thanks Rick  :)

Lance, that's great. You're certainly not hijacking my thread - that's just what I was after! That looks perfect. If anyone knows where I can get one...

Ps super Brisfit!

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2017, 05:07:01 AM »
Ps can't find one anywhere,

Any decent alternatives?

Guy

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »
I'm sure I read a post by John on Britmodeller last year about him being in the process of bringing out an improved mark of his jig.It could be worth an enquiry on the WW1 sub-forum,just be prepared to wait a little for a reply.I Wouldn't be without mine,makes short work of assembling the most difficult biplanes,and frees both hands for rigging as it holds the model in any position.
Lovely job on the Biff,
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »
Thank you Bud, Steve and Dave!

Super helpful. I've had a look at them all and I've just ordered the Vertigo Jig.

Can't believe I haven't looked at getting one before as it's always been a weak point of my builds in the past!!

Looking forward to starting another biplane now  ;D

Guy

Offline aliluke

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
Hi Guy
Just been through your log - absolutely wonderful work. The interior details and engine are brilliant (as it all is!). I've just seen a full size one with the one side left uncovered to show the frames and interior. It is a restored original. A beautiful aircraft - would have liked to take photos but that was not allowed...
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2017, 05:40:27 AM »
This is what I use, Guy, and I love it.
http://www.vertigo-miniatures.com/vertigo/eshop/15-1-VERTIGO-JIGS/0/5/843-Basic-BI-3224
Cheers,
Bud

Well that's beats my making up a lego jig each time !!!! Just ordered one, Thanks Amigo !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
Just a quick note on the Jig I just ordered from umm-usa.com. It has Already been packed and shipped !!!   Great Service from Jan Votjeck.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
Evening,

I've been away this week but I've managed to (nearly) finish the main rigging...

I guess the engine's next  ;)

Thanks

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2017, 06:05:37 AM »
Outstanding rigging! Looking FANTASTIC!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2017, 06:28:09 AM »
You have done a superb job with the rigging Guy, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com