Author Topic: WNW Post War Brisfit  (Read 16348 times)

Offline Gisbod

WNW Post War Brisfit
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:35:10 AM »
Thought I'd get the ball rolling on this one. As I've found my recent builds stalling a little. I needed a kit that I felt really enthusiastic about and on the recommendation of Des & Lance, I've gone for the Postwar Brisfit.

It's definitely got me fired up and, although I haven't technically got the kit yet (still in the post from Weta - I was hoping to get it yesterday  :( ), I have received a few of the extras I've ordered for the kit... HGW fabric seat belts, wicker seat from Barracuda, spark plugs from Taurus  ;)

So, I have managed to get the seat painted. First off though, there was resin flash along the open structure of the chair back, which was a shame as it wasn't easy to remove and it detracts from the otherwise 'perfect' look - to be fair you can only tell in a micro shot, but the 2nd seat that comes with the pack didn't fair as well and I'm going to have to replace that one for the Camel build...

Started off with a dark brown Vallejo followed by a light shade overspray to highlight, followed again by oils to capture the recesses...

The HGW belts are sublime and really look the part, especially with the creasing  ;) highly recommended.

I'm going for a 5 Squadron one - India c1925 and will get paint masks made up. That's the plan anyway, but open to suggestions.

I'm hoping to actually get this one finished. I've already got some inspiration from Prze's recent build  ;D

Definitely going to take my time and not rush this at all but enjoy the journey..

Thanks for following along.

Regards

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW Post War Brisfit
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:36:09 AM »
   Great choice Guy, and I know you'll really enjoy it! I went with the kit pilot's seat on mine, that motivated the purchase of two sets of the Barracuda items!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:48:09 AM »
nice!

Online Jorgo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:55:18 AM »
Very realistic painting on the wicker seat, top!

Jörg

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »
Great to see that you have decided to tackle this kit, it is a beauty. Very nice work on the wicker seat and seat belts, they certainly will add to the overall appearance of the model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline steveb

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
Looks very nice! The seat!

Steve

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »
Great start, I will follow with interest. ;D
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:53:16 AM »
Great start, hope your kits gets to you soon.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 02:55:12 AM »
Thank you all,

So do I Juan, it's been a week now since they emailed me to say it was posted... I think it was quicker getting it from NZ  ::)

Guy

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »
Love everything you've done, and this will be one to follow, Guy. The Brisfit is one of my current projects too, so I'll "throttle back" and watch you perform your magic and perhaps learn a few tricks  8)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »
Thanks Steve,

Gary, thanks, but don't be silly - I was hoping to copy yours!

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
Lovely work on the seat. Those belts are amazing! Very realistic!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Brez

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »
Nice work on the seat and great choice of subject.

Cheers,
Tony.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 02:31:29 AM »
Thanks!

Finally, the beast has arrived and I've made a start. Firstly, after I'd chosen the scheme I realised there was a photo of the aircraft in question on the Wingnuts website! Not the greatest photo, but a photo none the less. It shows it to have the shorter exhaust (not as shown in the colour profile picture above) and small fuselage roundels with, I think, another letter 'A' on the centre wing section - the full photo shows 'D' & 'B' as well and, curiously, these aircraft both have the longer exhausts and large fuselage roundels:

I'm replacing the 'blob' spark plugs with nice Taurus ones and repositioning them (the kit has them central but they should be diagonally offset from each other) - the holes look quite big, but that's the right size to accept the spark plugs - they should just slot in nicely:

I'm also replacing the kit cockpit pumps with brass - I always struggle to paint brass effectively so why not use real brass!

I'm racing along at the moment and have cleaned up all the parts that require pre painting and have just sprayed on the primer- Mr Finisher 1500 - thinned and sprayed through the airbrush. I have a rattle can version but find it not so good for smaller pieces and prefer the control afforded by an airbrush.

I've also managed to oil up all the wood parts - so they're drying in the hot cupboard too  :D

More progress soon (hopefully)

Guy

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 03:15:14 AM »
Great news Guy, it took her long enough to get to you.  Looking forward to your progress.   :D