Author Topic: Albatros DIII OEF  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Derrick

Albatros DIII OEF
« on: January 07, 2017, 09:26:41 AM »
I found a relatively good deal on the 2 Roden 1/32 Albatros DIII kits ($57 Cdn including postage each) which I ordered as well as waiting on some Windsock datafiles. I was wondering if either kit would be a good basis to try to make the OEF version with the rounded nose, or would there there have to be too much work needed on the wings or fuselage.

Looking at Des' scratchbuilts, I been thinking of trying my hand at first with maybe a conversion or partially scratchbuilt project in between everything else. My hand is fully healed ( after re-injuring it) and started to get back into building models. I just built (but not painted) the Bandai Stormtrooper and have a Junkers J1 and Whippet on the go. I bought a while back the Falcon Fokker DVIII and that is a possible first project for scratchbuilt/conversion.

Thank you for any info.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Albatros DIII OEF
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
Depends on what "too much work" means as well as what your skills and standards are. I think it is eminently doable! I am rather surprised no one here has tackled it yet. Such a project has been discussed here many times. It may be no one has taken it on because at one time Ron Kootje was promising a conversion kit. After he joined forces with Aviattic, the project "went dark."  Perhaps it is still in the pipeline?

The Johannistal D.III (with the square tail) is probably the starting point. Excellent reference exists in the form of Koloman Mayerhofer's meticulous reproduction, documented in great detail on the aerodrome forum.

The hardest bit is arguably the Austro Daimler motor which AFAIK is not kitted yet in 1/32, so you would need to scratch that. The schwarzlose MGs can be scrounged from one of the WNW eindeckers (can't rem off the top of my which one -- D.III early? -- the one with the A-H marking version). The nose & cowling panels would have to be scratched, too -- vac form or plunge molding from a balsa carved form being the techniques I suspect most builders would gravitate towards.

Then there is the radiator, fuel tank, etc etc...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:03:42 AM by Bo »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 01:00:22 AM »
CSM has kits for both 160hp and 200hp Austro-Daimler motors in 1/32.  They are beautiful kits.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:02:58 AM »
CSM has kits for both 160hp and 200hp Austro-Daimler motors in 1/32.  They are beautiful kits.

oh that's right, (duh), I even have them!!!

they are beautiful kits...

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 10:34:39 PM »
What an interesting thread to get the creative juices flowing... now a 1/32 A-H Albatross... Just lovely!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »
i was going to provide a link to that build as well as another on aeroscale with brumoski's 153 t cant find it though