Author Topic: RAF SE.5a Polish (1/32, mostly WNW)  (Read 17293 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
RAF SE.5a Polish (1/32, mostly WNW)
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »
My newest subject is the SE.5a. I plan to build one of two examples which came to Poland for testing together with two RRFalcon powered Bristol Fighters in early 1920. After the presentation, when one was lost due to an accident, the other one remained disassembled until summer 1920 when facing the dramatic outcome of the Polish-Soviet war every aircraft counted. So Poland bought the second SE.5a from Handley Page who was its rigthful owner and immediately dispatched it to 7. Kościuszko Squadron. Unfortunately this aircraft was lost in its first mission with pilot Cpt. Ciecierski captured (he later escaped). The aircraft was photographed in Hołoby just before that fatal mission.

There are some question marks related to it. A serious one regards its engine. The propeller suggests the direct drive. And I tend to see the Viper style radiator over there, but it is by no means certain. Anyway, I decided to build a WNW model with the Viper engine. I was lucky to swap WNW radiator, propeller, engine and cowlings for Roden Viper counterparts - thanks to you, Rysiu!
I may still regret this move, but this is my final decision. The first problem occured when test fitting the radiator to the chin cowl - Roden part is too broad by over 1 mm. So I cut it into three parts, sanded the sides of middle slice and glued them back together. Now the breadth is fine to fit WNW fuselage.

Building this kit is quite an experience and a proof of WNW progress during the years for someone like me, more accustomed to newer WNW kits. The cockpit bits require much more amendments than usually to make the build better resembling what is presented in the photos in the WNW instruction.
I have shaved the raised imitation of fuel switch on the instrument panel and made mine from bits of plastic and wire. Also the side panel with two switches was cut off, the switches made from plastic and PE bits and it will be reattached to the side board in the correct place, more to the front. Finally, the completely forgotten magneto starter was built from plastic bits and will be added just at the pilot's right elbow on the side board.

Another photo in the WNW instruction shows a quite evident radiator shutter lever on the port side of the top cockpit cowl - this fogotten element was built from a few bits of plastic and the cables will be added later.

Some holes were drilled under the pilot seat for all the control cables from the stick and the bar. Also the horn for aileron control has some holes drilled.

My SE.5a had no Lewis gun on the Foster mount, so surely the spare drum boxes were empty. WNW provides a choice for the one mounted on the instrument panel, but the second one on the cockpit floor comes only with the drum moulded together. So I had to build an empty box - faces from the WNW element and a few pieces of a plastic profile were used.

Finally, I have shaved all the simplified imitation of internal bracing, drilled the holes for eyelets and will redo the rigging after the interior is airbrushed.

TBC...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:34:54 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: RAF SE.5a Polish (1/32, mostly WNW)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »
What a great start Przemol, the modifications you have made to the radiator are excellent also the improvements to the cockpit area, you have done a brilliant job so far and this will be a build I will be following.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline boggie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:40:26 AM »
Only your first post on this build and already I have learnt so much!
Terrific modification work Prze.
Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

cheers  :)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 11:22:53 AM »
Thank you for the background information on this aircraft.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »
nice, great to see this kit kit get your treatment

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »
Only your first post on this build and already I have learnt so much!
Terrific modification work Prze.
Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

cheers  :)

Prze,
   I'm with Boggie, this is already an education on one of my favorite aircraft and I'll be following with great interest!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 07:30:25 PM »
Very adjucating, what you show here. Thank you for showing your clever modifications and additions on this project.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
Can't wait Prze...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 07:44:01 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your magic on this one, PrzemoL  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 12:40:47 AM »
What a great start Przemol, the modifications you have made to the radiator are excellent also the improvements to the cockpit area, you have done a brilliant job so far and this will be a build I will be following.

Des.

I agree with Des on this one! I also will be following with great interest. Too late for my current build but what I learn from you, and have learned from Tugs build, will certainly help my next one  ;)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »
Looks good so far! I'm also following with interest, especially the mating of the Roden Viper parts :) (I've asked WnW once about a Viper version but Richard indicated they had no plans to do one as of yet)

jeroen

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 01:08:24 AM »
Amazing research, and great modifications to your kit. True modelling as it should be  ;)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 03:13:04 AM »
What can I add? Terrific start and I will be following along in future too.

Stephen.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:40 AM »
Great stuff. Having just cobbled together a Roden Viper SE this is highly instructive.
Looking forward to your further posts!

Mark

Offline xmald

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »
It`s an another masterpiece in the making Przemo!
I`ll be following this one, since I really feel like building the SE.5a and as your fan I simply cannot miss it.
Best regards
Filip