Author Topic: Ansaldo A.1 "Balilla" 1/32 Aviattic OOB  (Read 33479 times)

Offline Ronkootje

Re: Ansaldo A.1 "Balilla" 1/32 Aviattic OOB
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »
Looking real good bo!

About the bolts for some reason they weared out faster in the mold since they are pulled out so the option you did is better to replace them. Som timeschoices have to be made in how the mold is made to get the best result and i found out this was it.

Realy its strange to c this kit get build witch I have worked on for 3 years by some one els, actualy its a honor and I thank all you guys for the great comments and support, and hope all you guys enoy the build.

I will start mine soon as wel when i have the time and finaly build it completly myself with decals and paint.

Regards Ron

Offline aliluke

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 08:49:26 AM »
That paint effect on the block is great - lick o' paint seems a little unlikely to a novice - how do you achieve that?

Bought a Polish version BTW (some Christmas cash burning a hole in my pocket) - due to your log, with thanks to you, Richard and Ron!  :)
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »
Hi Alistair, glad you are inspired to try this kit, I think you will enjoy the experience.

As for how I painted the engine -- I don't really have a recipe -- I just sort of go at it until I'm happy with it. I can tell you that I started by painting the entire thing with Alclad black microfiiler, then painted the cylinders with a mix of german grey & nato black; there might have been a coat of smoke in there. I next painted the "steel" with alclad chrome followed by various filters which I honestly don't what or in what order. probably hot metal sepia and maybe alclad smoke? I masked and painted the crankcase next, think I started with semi matte aluminum, maybe dark aluminum probably one or two other filters. I did a little dry brushing with tamiya flat aluminum and a wash or two of dirty turps. It all took maybe an hour?

Offline aliluke

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »
Thanks Bo
It'll be a long while before I start on this - I have a lot of learning to do first including those paint techniques which are, I guess, second nature to you. The kit doesn't even ship until March. But I'll keep looking in here and at other logs and plug away at the Snipe and other builds.

Cheers
Alistair

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
Bo, you are a true artist. I thoroughly enjoy your updates, and am quite amused by your descriptions of how you managed to pull off your paint jobs...a bit of this, some of that...whatever it took to get where you wanted it to go. And I'm glad I'm not alone in trying to remember all of the exact steps, and in what order it took ;-) great work, sir!

Cheers,
Gary

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
cheers all,

I missed a step when prepping the block. The hexagonal bosses above the middle motor mounts are supposed to be drilled out to accept the weird scoop-like crankcase breathers. Best to do this before you paint things! The holes are supposed to be 1mm diameter, and it is pretty hard to accomplish this without defacing the hexagon...

The breathers themselves are on that large, oddball casting block referred to earlier. They are parts 16 & 17, 2x each. 16 goes on the starboard (exhaust) side, 17 on the port (intake) side. The scoops face forward. Refer to the pics in the manual and walkaround for guidance.

I decided to fashion screens for the breathers as an analog for the original -- admittedly ludicrously overscale but it gives an impression, and I'm an impressionist modeller :)

These are made from discarded radiator mesh from a D.VII radiator that went south... punched out with a 2mm punch....

installed and painted...

NOTE TO THOSE FOLLOWING ALONG LATER the intake side breathers should be installed facing aft, not as in the pictures below. Check your fit with the carburetor as you proceed.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:06:46 AM by Bo »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »
99% OOB? Well I think that we have already passed that point so now you can really go to town on it……

A wonderfully impressive kit being assembled and upgraded by a master craftsman. A joy to follow.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »
cheers guys -- finishing up the valve gear and the accessory drive/ bevel gear tower...

these illustrations may be useful:

and here is what the complete gear train looks like assembled:

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »
prepping the camshaft

Once again two little nubs should be drilled out to .55mm. Again this is to fit the oil lines at the front of the engine, which will be fabricated soon...

This is a tricky step, take you time, and if it is beyond your skill set, don't panic, just skip it, the lines can be simply glued on or omitted entirely.

I find cutting the camshaft off the casting block one of the more challenging removal operations -- it really helps if the part is absolutely straight. If not, a little hot water and a square surface will put it right in a hurry.

The bottom of the camshaft doesn't really show, but it should look more or less like this when it's all cleaned up:

Offline aliluke

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
This is brilliant! A complete guide unfolding. Thanks Bo - I can't wait to see these parts in reality.  :)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
camshaft painted; contact areas scraped so epoxy will bond; and glued in place...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2017, 01:04:39 AM »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2017, 05:29:04 AM »
Looking forward to your update.  Hoping for your safe travel.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
This is brilliant! A complete guide unfolding. Thanks Bo - I can't wait to see these parts in reality.  :)
[/quote

Big Ditto, Thanks Bo and likewise waiting for mine to arrive.

Ed]
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2017, 10:19:50 AM »
Sorry to hear you are stranded in Denver but their are worse places! I remember that Jenny from last years trip to Montana. I also remember a couple of good craft beer bar/eating establishments  8)
RAGIII 
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler