Author Topic: Ansaldo A.1 "Balilla" 1/32 Aviattic OOB  (Read 33492 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Ansaldo A.1 "Balilla" 1/32 Aviattic OOB
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »
Cheers guys, let's start with the motor.

Almost everything needed is in a single baggie, quite easy to identify as it also contain two small cards w/ photos of motors not to mention the large crankcase casting. The more delicate parts having their own baggie within the baggie. When you lay them all out, you get this:

Note -- individual rocker arms, valve springs, spark plugs. Looks daunting, but really isn't bad, I know because -- spoiler -- I've put one together already ;)

Also in the baggie -- a short length of ~.5mm diameter copper wire. It's fun thinking about Richard clipping little two inch pieces of wire off a giant spool and stuffing them into baggies, whistling away, in the middle of the night...

You'll also need a few parts from this large, oddball casting block which otherwise is mostly comprised of interior parts, and which lives in its own, unlabeled baggie:

Specifically, you need this tiny part, #14, and you need it right away (you will also need 2x parts 16 & 17 a bit later):

finally, there are some parts from the large brass PE fret. 2x parts 22 & 23 form the ignition harnesses...

...and 12x part 115 are the plug leads. I didn't count, but it looks like there is a generous supply of extras for the carpet monster:

Also Ron has prepared some templates to drill holes for jigs for various operations:

I've degreased all the resin parts, starting with a 45 minute bath in the Ultrasonic machine using Dawn(tm) dishwashing liquid, dried and followed with a 15 minute bath in 91% isopropyl alcohol.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:55:36 AM by Bo »

Offline Derrick

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »
Is it necessary to wash them for that long? Usually I will fill the bathroom sink with warm water and dish washing liquid leave them in there for a bit scrub with a toothbrush and rinse with cold water in the kitchen.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »
Is it necessary to wash them for that long? Usually I will fill the bathroom sink with warm water and dish washing liquid leave them in there for a bit scrub with a toothbrush and rinse with cold water in the kitchen.

probably not? better safe than sorry I guess...

anyway, toothbrush scrub is probably equiv to 45 min in the ultrasonic

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
By way of disclaimer -- I am mostly following Ron's draft build log which dates to this last autumn. For all I know it will be thoroughly revised before Richard makes it live. So -- stuff I say here isn't necessarily the official word -- just the best of my knowledge...

So anyway, with that out of the way... the first step is a decision point. The engine crankshaft / prop shaft is cast in one piece with the crankcase. Ron suggests optionally replacing it with a metal rod for strength. Now: is this 100% necessary? No -- the cast resin shaft is nearly 2mm in diameter and this is some high quality casting, not Bo Monroe bubbleware. Still -- it is an area of potential weakness, and it would suck big time if the shaft snapped after the engine was mounted etc.

So yes, I am opting to replace the shaft. Rather than brass rod, though, I prefer steel -- looks like the real thing. I made mine from an old rusty nail, suitably polished:

And I want it to turn! So, a bearing is fashioned from 3.0mm OD x 2.00mm ID brass tubing (albion I think):

All that is left is to bore a 3mm hole down the center of the crankcase...

and insert the bearing & shaft. A drop of CA secures the bearing and the nail/ shaft is captured in place:

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 01:15:50 PM »
   Nicely done Bo. I'm guessing (since this Build is OOB) the finishing nail came in the box?!? ;) ;D ;) ;D Ah well, you made it to step #1 !
Cheers!
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
   Nicely done Bo. I'm guessing (since this Build is OOB) the finishing nail came in the box?!? ;) ;D ;) ;D Ah well, you made it to step #1 !
Cheers!
Lance

heh, yeah, you got me; while Ron suggests optionally replacing the shaft a replacement is not supplied. Again -- I think you could quite likely get away without replacing it-- you'll see if you get this kit that it's quite tough -- but just not a risk I wanted to take.

Offline steveb

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 01:42:17 PM »
Ah, this is so nice to see coming to fruition. Judging by these photos, it appears to be beautiful kit. Unparalleled packaging & presentation. But, OOB?? Time will tell.  ;D

Steve

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 04:48:58 PM »
OOB + a rusty nail where deemed necessary!
Got my popcorn and following closely.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:19:26 PM by Ssasho0 »
Think globally, act locally!

Offline ondra

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
One of the reasons I love this forum for is, that it is a great place to improve my english. Today I have finally learned what OOB stands for: parts in the kit + a rusty nail. :D

Great to see you starting this kit, Bo, will be following with great interest!

Cheers

Ondra

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 10:27:13 PM »
You guys are too funny  ;D.  Nice use of a rusty nail Bo, love your ingenuity.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 10:43:58 PM »
So you made it through the parts introduction before adding your nail and brass tube, then drilling a 3mm hole to accept the rotating shaft assembly. I am proud of you Bo  8) As always terrific work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 02:46:40 AM »
Cheers guys :)

Next step is removing the casting nub at the back of the crankcase. This is necessary for fitting part 26D 26A.

Many ways to accomplish this, including careful carving, easiest though is to drill it out with a 3.5mm drill bit. the result should be a "U" shaped hole:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:55:44 PM by Bo »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 02:52:14 AM »
Next, it's time to deal with that pesky little part 14 shown earlier. The two center nubs at near the front of the crankcase should be drilled out with a 5.5mm 0.55mm drill bit.

like so:

it's hard to do -- as you can see I was a little off, but it will look ok when assembled. If you are not comfortable drilling these you could simply glue part 14 on or leave it off altogether -- it's a small plumbing detail.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:16:44 AM by Bo »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 03:14:40 AM »
Possibly the most challenging step in the entire engine build -- the top of that teeny part 14 should also be drilled out with a .55mm drill bit, this to accomodate the copper wire "oil lines" which are fitted later:

here it is assembled (leaning backwards in the dry fit photo, to be adjusted):

Again, I'm following Ron's lead here but there are other ways to skin this cat depending on your preferences, tools and skills. Study the pictures to understand what these parts are supposed to represent and work from there.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:20:44 AM by Bo »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 03:15:53 AM »
It would be hard to do with a 5.5mm drill. I reckon I'd use something much smaller. :)

Gold star to Justin for paying attention. .55mm.  :-[