Author Topic: Rowan, I have a modest proposal for decals: Belgian Markings  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
Rowan, I have a modest proposal for decals: Belgian Markings
« on: December 24, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »
Rowan, in your previous thread about the possibilities for the Camel, you mentioned that there may be an offering with Belgian markings.  There are no doubt some very interesting and colorful options available that the Belgians flew. 

But this got me to thinking that why should you limit yourself to just Camels that were flown by the Belgians.  There were other aircraft that the Belgians flew that would make for a wonderful sheet of decals.  I hereby submit my "two cents" on the subject of new decal subjects and suggest that you not just limit yourself to Belgian markings for the Camel.  There were many other aircraft that would make for a wonderful decal sheet.

Walter Pieters' book, "The Belgian Air Force in the 1st World War" is the grounds one can mine for some great ideas for markings.  I am sure that you and many on here may be aware of this book.  It is a magnificent tome with a wonderful text and it is loaded with some wonderful subjects in color profile. 

In addition to the Camel you are suggesting, we could have markings for the Sopwith Pup, Strutter, the BE2c, Breguet 14, Hanriot HD.1, "Harry Tate", Spad VII, XI and XIII and loads of Nieuports to select from.

Please consider this request in the very near future.  I, for one, would absolutely love to do some Belgian marked WWI aircraft, and not just Sopwith Camels.  My preferred scale is 1/32, but I am sure the 1/48 guys would have interest, too.
Honor Necessity

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Rowan, I have a modest proposal for decals: Belgian Markings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:29 PM »
Hi Eric,

Thanks for this suggestion. The problem is, as with British subjects, the lack of standardised roundel sizes, which  - given that they are usually to full wing chord - makes particular demands on decal sheet space in 1/32nd scale. I am considering mixing the Camels with Belgian SPADs, which might broaden the appeal, but that would probably mean an A4 sized decal sheet, which may be too expensive given current, ever-rising, printing costs. Let's see how things work out as the design process evolves.

BTW, I have Walter's excellent book and will be relying on that as my primary source, a brilliant research effort and wholeheartedly recommended!
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 01:21:28 AM »
Eric,
     For Belgian Camels, you might try casting about for the now (sadly) OOP Spada Laser-Line sheets. Spada did multiple Belgian Camel sheets (with roundels & rudder stripes), and RFC/RAF/Lithuanian/Latvian examples. The sheets are rare as hen's teeth, but they do pop up on ebay occasionally.

Rowan,
      How about a Belgian Camel/Spad/Nieuport sheet keeping to unit/individual markings (with serials), and leaving the roundels (since both French & British proportions were used) and rudder stripes to the modeler to mask & paint, or cut from solid-color decal material (tedious, but do-able)?

Regards, Rob

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 12:35:50 AM »
^^ Thanks for the suggestion, Rob.  I just wish there was more choice of Belgian subjects available out there.  I believe the Belgian markings are some of the most interesting and colorful out there among the allies.  Just my 2 cents.
Honor Necessity

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
Eric, I most heartily agree.. . Though, for as equally colorful Allied Spad/Nieuport markings, one could hardly beat the Italians. Say, that'd apply as equally to the Hanriot HD 1/2... Where's Wingnut Wings on this 'un????? ;)