Author Topic: Gotha GIII (1/72 - Roden)  (Read 11048 times)

Offline chowhound

Re: Gotha GIII (1/72 - Roden)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 06:13:17 AM »
Hello Jeroen,
thank's for the link. I have also a link for you (and all others all so). There a swedisch crazy modelbuilder made an awsome job.
http://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=17311.0 It's a german forum, but the pictures tell enough.

Greetings from Germany, an sorry for my english (it's more denglich then english). But I hope you understand what I mean.

Jüergen
Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Offline chowhound

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »
And it goes on. On the pictures of the inside of the hull you can see that there is not much to see in Roden. The ammo drum racks I have already supplemented. What was missing now was the tension. Since one can see from the top as well as from below into the inside of the trunk, something had to happen. And that's what happened.

The wires are made of 0.2 mm (01/64in) copper wire.
And if you now think I'm a little crazy, yes, that's me. ;D ;)

A small problem with the tension wires on the inside, however, I have. I just found this randomly on the Internet this photo. It's from the "Popular Mechanics" Magazine October 1917.  ???

(Wikimedia)

As can be seen in the drawing, the lower opening was covered by a tunnel. And, of course, you can not see the tension cables in the rear area. What do you all mean? Should one stay with the original (tunnel), or do without it, so that one can see the tension wires? :-\

Cheers
Jürgen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »
I am not familiar enough with the Gotha series to comment on specifics. In general on my models I like to get Major details correct. If the GIII had a tunnel I would want to include one. But that is me and it is your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 11:56:45 PM »
I think the tunnel was introduced on the  G.IV

Offline IanB

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 03:58:19 AM »
That picture also shows the gangway behind the pilot...wasn't it actually on the other side?

Ian

Offline chowhound

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 04:34:10 AM »
@Ian,
you're right. I think they have simply drawn a schematic illustration, with no regard for accuracy.
@all
Meanwhile several model builders have confirmed to me that this tunnel was only available from version IV and later
Then I can leave everything as it is. ;D

Jürgen

Offline Borsos

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 04:59:40 AM »
Very interesting start on that kit. I remember me building it when it was released some 13 or so years ago and it was a challenging but joyful build. I hope, you have fun with it. The tunnel was according to my memory introduced with the IV version and was much taller than portrayed in the drawing.
Best wishes I cross my fingers for you, especially when it comes to the interplane struts as there are so many...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 03:15:03 AM »
Today I'll show you the last few pictures of the interior before the hull is closed. At the pilots seat I am still not sure whether there still seat belts come or not. Have also attached to the pilot a few instruments and levers. In order that the view from below in the trunk shows a complete tension, a piece of sheet with wires was also inserted on the inner upper side. Otherwise the whole tension of the inner sides is completed, and also the floor has got boards, otherwise the crew would step through the cover. ;)

Greetings from Germany
Jürgen

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 04:31:49 AM »
Simply wonderful modelling. The level of detail is excellent.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 06:51:20 AM »

Stephen.

I second Stephen's comments on detail, Jurgen. That's wonderful work and detail for such a small subject.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline chowhound

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 02:54:43 AM »
Last update before Christmas!

In the meantime, the two trunk halves are glued together, and the lower wing part as far as the engine nacelles is also attached.

Since the trunk covering was tied on the bottom, I tried to represent this with PE parts. For that I use railings (1/700, from my shipbuildings) wich I  glued on the bottom. In the picture, the zoom setting is quite rough, but in normal view it looks good. ;)

Finally, a comparison of the size of the Gotha and a Fokker E.III. The Gotha is really impressive in 1/72. 8)

I wish you all a peaceful Christmas and a Happy New Year. :)

Jürgen
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:11:51 PM by chowhound »

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »

Stephen.

I second Stephen's comments on detail, Jurgen. That's wonderful work and detail for such a small subject.
Cheers,
Lance
I third Stephen. First class modelling
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline chowhound

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 03:35:29 AM »
Hello friends,
time for a new update!
Before I start with the update, I want you to introduce my new project after the Spad XIII (1/24 Merit).
It is the Christmas present of my family. ;D

I am already looking forward to this building! I will not build it as a whole "stripped down", but only one half. The other half is built "classic". Let's see what will com. ;)

But now to the update.
This time I took the paint.

The wings and the fuselage were brushed in navy green. Where the national symbols came, a bright green was used. The bottom is painted beige and natural wood.

Furthermore, I finished the two engines so far, and painted. Of course there is still the washing.

On one engine nacelle I have the upper flap open, so you can see something from the engine.

Cheers
Jürgen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 06:57:06 AM »
Looks good, Jürgen! I remembered I had some trouble fitting the engines in and made a mess of sanding off the extra louvres Roden provides. Unlike yours mine only had a few and most of the remaining ones had to be sanded away.
I like the colours. Will you be doing the "skull" version?

Offline chowhound

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
Hi Jeroen,
I had the same problems with this engines. I cut off the holders in the nacelle, and make new ones. Meanwhile, I have already reduced these ventilation slots of Roden. ;)
yes, it will be the "skull" version. ;D But the hardest still comes. Install the spars and then the rigging.   ::) :o

Jürgen