Author Topic: SSW R 1 1/72  (Read 13693 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: SSW R 1 1/72
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2017, 11:58:46 PM »
   Incredible re-work, Stephen, just superb work and a real testament to your Scratch Building talents. This is truly an exceptional and "One of a Kind" model and it's not yet done! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 01:07:51 AM »
Love what you have done so far, looking forward to your progress.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 07:34:10 PM »
Crazy! Just outstanding, I am absolutely stunned by your work. It is lot of fun to watch your work.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Monty

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2017, 03:55:56 AM »
Stephen, that was a stunning "Remake" of the fuselage! It now looks very convincing and worth all that effort! This is a fantastic thread to follow, and full of teaching experiences! Well done! Marc

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
 Stephen,
Incredible impressive thread my old friend. Wonderfully informative,many thanks for that.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks to all of you who have dropped in and left such positive remarks. I particularly appreciated them this time following the earlier mini-fiasco!

The first piece to be made after I had assembled the fuselage and nose was the cockpit glazing. I made this in a single piece of clear 20 thou acetate sheet which was plunge moulded in the usual way. I needed to add a little filler at the top to get the contours right but this will not matter as this area was covered on the machine - the glazed parts were lower down. It is noteworthy too that the pilots did not have a windscreen - there was a large hole with side windows and windows above the hole. Later after the wings were fitted I added framing from 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip.

I fitted the lower wings one at a time. The pins which I had put through the bottom of the fuselage were to go into holes which I had drilled into the ends of the wings. I had to tidy the ends of the wings a little with some thin card because the laminations had left some uneven edges. When I had dry fitted the wings and checked that all was aligned I started with the starboard (right) wing. Superglue was put on the ends of the pins and cement to the plastic edges of the wing. The wing was then attached to the pins and supported while the cement dried. The superglue dried quickly and held things in place but I decided to take no chances and left everything for an hour.

The struts had been pre-cut and shaped from 30 x 60 thou Evergreen strip but they had to be trimmed to fit exactly. I measured the gap with dividers and final trimming was done by offering the strut to the hole. The inner rear strut was placed first and allowed to dry for 10 minutes.

The remaining struts could then be fixed and the lower wing was firmly in place.

The above procedure was repeated on the port (left) side. Finally the upper wing overhang bracing struts were fixed into place.

Now the horizontal tail surface could be fixed to the top of the rear fuselage and the struts glued into place. These were made from 20 x 30 thou Evergreen strip.

I assembled the gearbox bearer struts. These too were Evergreen strip (30 x 40) which was sanded to aerofoil section. I measured the rear struts first and then bent them gently at the mid point before gluing them to the sides of the gearbox. The front struts were shaped and then cut in the centre and the corners at the rear of the centres cut off so that when the struts were joined to the gearbox the tops and bottoms met the rear struts. This sounds complicated but I hope the photos show what I mean. I did not glue the top and bottom of the strut assemblies until all four struts had set on the gearbox. Finally after the struts had been glued together both sub-assemblies could be inserted between the wings and glued into place.

The next stage will be to paint the model: this will take time as once again I am about to go on my travels. 

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »
Looking fantastic Stephen, it's an odd looking aeroplane but you have done a superb job in building your model, the wings and tail are all coming together beautifully.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 11:05:07 PM »
Outstanding progress Stephen! You are making an unusual aircraft into a beautiful Model!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2017, 07:57:05 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Des and Rick for dropping by and leaving encouraging remarks. Yes Des it really does look odd - which is why I am interested in building it! Any machine that is odd or has a lattice tail, biplane tail or other odd appendages appeals to me!! Manni you are right - I must be barking mad to be building something like this!

I have now completed the painting. I used Humbrol enamels - a mix of clear doped linen (103) with natural wood (94) in a ratio of 3:2. The DatatFile suggests grey as a colour but I have my doubts - personally I think that natural linen would have been more likely but who can tell from monochrome photos? In any event it took three coats as the first two were too streaky: I thinned the paint for the third and managed to get a much better finish. The white squares are for the crosses (which I have printed but not put on yet), and I have still to paint the radiators (dark grey) and top of the engine cover (anti-glare black). I also am showing a close up of the front struts with the propellor mounts in place as these were not ready for the last post.

The next post will also be a little while because next week I once again have to go on my travels! However I hope to be able to finish this shortly after I return.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »
Truly magnificent, Stephen, and perhaps your best work yet!  Very impressive!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline stevehed

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2017, 07:50:54 PM »
Incredible Steve. Going to be a beauty when it's finished. Looks like a bit of superglue will be needed on the tail.

Regards, Steve

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2017, 12:33:19 AM »
Great build so far.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »
Wow Steven, really inspireing. Every time I look at your model, I think i should stop my other projects and build this plane.Great job.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Borsos

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2017, 04:46:40 PM »
Wow. That would be absolutely fascinating even without being a scratch built. But bearing in mind that all is scratch build ... simply wow! Hats off!!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2017, 04:02:15 AM »
I agree with everyone else, really great. I would love to see this in real life rather than on the screen because even in 1/72 this would be pretty big.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!