Author Topic: Opinions needed on Fokker F1 103 axle wing color and also DR1 425/17 question  (Read 3702 times)

Offline RAGIII

I have seen a myriad of interpretations on the Fokker F1 103/17 axle wing color. Encore simply indicates light blue. The 5 view in Alex Revelles High in the Empty Blue indicates standard Fokker green over blue. I have also seen light blue with streaked uppers. Looking at photos and I just can't decide. What is the consensus?

Also on another note a question about 425/17 regarding the cross field back grounds. The photos taken at various museums indicate that white fields were applied as per usual then overpainted red. On all of the photos no lighter shade shows through like it does on DR1 152/17 on the upper wing giving a lighter shade behind the white bordered crosses. So knowing that Drooling Bull Dog paints will show a lighter shade should I not paint the white fields? I know this is a matter of opinion so feel free to comment!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

Sorry om late reply, just missed this originally.

As for 103, lt. blue with streaking.  425 No white fields, the Iron cross should be ghosted beyond the straight arms on fuselage and upper & lower wings.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
i agree with Justin on both counts

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
+1 for Justin's take on it.  :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
+1 for Justin's take on it. 

vB

+2!
So, while were on the topic, what's the consensus (Here at least) on the engine cowl colour on this bird??  :-\ ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
So, while were on the topic, what's the consensus (Here at least) on the engine cowl colour on this bird??  :-\ ::)

obviously an endless controversy, but I personally don't buy the yellow theory at all, despite the famous japanese fighting kite angle and the facts about ortho film. It just doesn't make sense to paint such elaborate white markings on a very low contrast background (to the human eye). What artist would do this? I'm in the Fokker green camp on this one.

Offline dr 1 ace

Report is of the shinning blue, no mention of a yellow cowl which would have been most obvious-- yellow and green are practically the same on ortho film (if all the photos were indeed done on ortho film --highly unlikely -- so notice the fuselage is the same as the cowl) so Fokker Green !

Ed
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:08:14 AM by dr 1 ace »
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

WarrenD

I'm with Bo and Ed on the cowl. FWIW, I did my landing gear wing solid olive top and bottom.

YMMV,

Warren

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
   As much as I'd love to give the cowl a yellow paint job my logic is the same; and as Bo says, that kite face logo in white on a yellow background makes no sense at all......  however I have a framed print of Russell Smith's "Last Dance of the Hussar" depicting a yellow cowl and never cease to enjoy it. The reports well presented in "High in the Empty Blue" would surely have mentioned such a distinguishing marking.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline petrov27

Agreed with the others - I just cannot see that cowl being yellow with white markings - if yellow I have to believe Voss would have gone with black or red eye markings etc.....
-Patrick

Offline rlrimell

Hi Guys,

Voss cowling -olive or yellow? This one has been going on for some time now.  Many years' ago Alex Imrie told me on the QT that he had put the yellow paint suggestion up purely to see the reaction it would engender ;). Those who knew Alex will remember his sharp and incisive sense of humour...so I would not get too energised about a  'yellow' cowling on 103/17.

Cheers,

Ray R.

Offline RAGIII

Hi Guys,

Voss cowling -olive or yellow? This one has been going on for some time now.  Many years' ago Alex Imrie told me on the QT that he had put the yellow paint suggestion up purely to see the reaction it would engender ;). Those who knew Alex will remember his sharp and incisive sense of humour...so I would not get too energised about a  'yellow' cowling on 103/17.

Cheers,

Ray R.

Thanks for chiming in Ray! I was surprised to see that Lance actually went here with his question  ::) That being said there is at least one 56 sq. report that described 103/17 as colored yellow and brown, Sloley I believe, but not from the famous final Voss fight. That being said although I would LOVE to do a yellow cowl I am sticking with the boring Olive green  8)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:27:28 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
    Yes, Thanks Ray! I figured the opportunity was there and, given the amount of expertise on this Forum, was certain there would be some good input. So many here sell themselves short; many may not be in DSA's nor Alex Imrie's league but there's a lot of informed and informal yet valid research here. The sharing attitude helps immeasurably as well.
Cheers,
Lance