Author Topic: 1/72 Albatros D.III (OEF)  (Read 21926 times)

Offline steveb

Re: 1/72 Albatros D.III (OEF)
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
It seems almost a shame to slide that interiour into the fuselage... looks gorgeous!

Agree 100% and the exhausts are beautiful, just rendered beautifully.

I agree with both comments! The exhausts look perfect !
RAGIII

It seems almost a shame to slide that interiour into the fuselage... looks gorgeous!

Agree 100% and the exhausts are beautiful, just rendered beautifully.

Well, dang! Thank you! Exhausts are watercolor rust & graphite pencil over flat black. Thanks to PrzemoL for making me more aware of the uses of watercolors on models!

Steve

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2017, 10:57:22 PM »
This is superb work Steve.  Incredible detail for that scale and indeed even for a bigger scale.

Offline steveb

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 04:41:20 AM »
It's been a while since I posted anything, but I have been working on it a little every day & more on the weekends. A couple of weeks ago, I glued on the vertical stabilizer & tailskid faring. I used layers of CA glue to smooth the transitions to the fuselage,

After a few coats of primer.

I had been working on the propeller during that time as well. I was going for a bit less contrast between the laminations & more of an overall varnished look. It ended up being quite orange, not exactly what I wanted, but I decided to leave well enough alone. After the Tamiya clear orange/yellow mix dried for a week or so, I sprayed coats of Testors Acryl gloss clear. I chose Acryl over Tamiya clear because I find that it dries to a harder finish. Everything looked great until the next day when I noticed cracks all over it. I tried sanding with 1500 grit paper, but I started sanding through the layers of orange/yellow. In theory, I had apparently not let the Tamiya paint dry enough before spraying the Acryl. In other words, the Acryl dried faster than the Tamiya underneath it which is a recipe for disaster.

So, I stripped it & sprayed another Desert Tan & white mix as the base. Then, I used Prismacolor colored pencils for the grain as Bertl described in his process a while back. I would do one face, then spray Acryl flat clear over it to protect it. Each day, I repeated this until all 4 sides were done. I liked the overall look, so I decided not to use any transparent colors on it. I sprayed quite a few coats of Acryl gloss, sanding between some of the coats to reduce orange peel. After the final coats, I polished with polishing cloths.

I still need to add a Jaray decal, but I'm not too fond of the one included in the Roden kit. Looking at the photos I realize that I forgot to mention making that little doo-dad on top of the camshaft cover by "machining" plastic rod chucked in my Dremmel. The molded in kit pieces was a domed blob.

As of today, the CDL parts have their base coat.

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
Spectacular work on the interior and engine, Steve! And that prop!  Holy Cow!
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:19:46 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »
So good, I can' find words to describe it! The prop is the best I've ever seen in 1:72 scale, you must have a very steady hand

Best regards,
Jörg

Offline malaula

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »
As Jörg said,by far the best prop ever seen in that scale!Incredible!!

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2017, 07:24:21 PM »
The prop is a dream !!!!
WOW

Antonio

Offline IanB

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
Gobsmacked! Absolutely gorgeous!

Ian

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2017, 11:35:47 PM »
    Incredible detail for the scale (in any scale!!) This is simply outstanding work, Steve!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2017, 07:11:43 PM »
Spectacular, Steve!
The prob looks great. And the interieu is very,very good.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:48 PM »
As stated by others, simply outstanding, especially that prop.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2017, 11:20:25 PM »
Spectacular work on the interior and engine, Steve! And that prop!  Holy Cow!
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with my Amigo! Just add another Holy COW!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline steveb

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2017, 03:18:28 AM »
Thanks so much to all of you! I look at the prop & think, "Eh... that part could have been smoother, that other section could have been darker...blah, blah." But, overall, I like it, & I'm pleased that I could fit all 9 laminated layers on there without too many mess ups.

Working on summer camo techniques & may have it somewhat worked out. Time will tell.

Thanks again,
Steve

Offline Borsos

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:00 AM »
Steve, this is really a masterpiece. I love your work on the tiny PE interior which makes forget that it's just 1/72. And the Prop is spectacular. Bravo!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline steveb

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
Thanks, again!

Today, I finally moved the framework into the fuselage. The fit was so tight that no glue was necessary. After a lot of trial fittings with the engine cover, the engine was also glued into place.

The nose piece had a bit of fit resistance, even though I had previously thinned down some areas on the inside. More grinding & scraping on the inside of it, & I think that it will fit nicely once glued in place. The "metal" tones don't exactly match, but they will be over-painted with summer camo later.

A while back, I added some rib shading on the undersides of the wings with pencil colors & then more layers of CDL paint. I plan on having green mottled upper surfaces, so I'm not really sure how much of the rib shadow would appear in real life because of the upper painted surfaces preventing light from passing through.

I also made an inkjet decal for the propeller, & it didn't come out too bad.

Steve