Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Siemens-Schuckert D.III - what aftermarket bits recommended/needed?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline rhwinter

Hi all,
I have that interesting kit and noticed that there's a lot of aftermarket stuff for it out there! What do you recommend purchasing?
I have the Windsock datafile and just ordered Pheon's decal-sheet. I will probably also order Gaspatch guns and turnbuckles as well as Bob's Buckles for it, but wonder whether I should get Aviattic's/ATTRE resin Siemens-Halske-motor (does it fit the model/cowling?) and Loon-models correction/conversion pieces for the cowling as well as BrenGun's PE-set?
And, by the way, does anyone here know, whether there's a Lozenge-set especially made for this kit available? Pheon-Decals say, there's one by Aviattic, but that's 1:48th scale...
Thanks all for your advice in advance!
Richard

Offline petrov27

I think you have a pretty good summary of all the aftermarket options. The Loon resin I would not be worried about unless you are looking to build an early version that had the different full cowl, smaller control surfaces, etc.

The engine is pretty visible so the Aviattic resin would be good there but I cannot speak to the fit in the cowling as the engine set did not exist when I built this kit. I do not believe anyone has 1/32 "cookie cutter" fit lozenge for it, but Aviattic has diagonal 45 degree sets that would work for the wings.

The BrenGun etch looks to have some useful bits on there - I picked up a set for a future 2nd build of the Roden kit

-Patrick

Offline rhwinter

Thank you, Petrov!
Let me know how you're getting along with your second SSW D.III - as soon as you're starting it!
Richard

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Richard,
    I've done this one in the past year:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6383.0

It's a very nice Kit and most to the A/M Products you mention are very good IMHO. The Aviattic engine is very nice however I used the Kit engine, upgraded, and display the Aviattic version on the side. As Petrov says the Loon set shouldn't be necessary unless you are building the early version. The Pheon Sheet is excellent and so is the regular lozenge (full pattern width) when applied diagonally. The Bren Gun etch set is EXCELLENT quality and does a wonderful job on the cowlings.
   Enjoy your Build and I'll be following closely.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Hi Richard , I agree . You have a good handle on what is out there . I also say pass on the loon models resin upgrade set . I did a review on the late version and the cowl doesn't fit . So don't waste your money on it . Rodens is actually better . . Only detail Roden is missing is the attachment plates for the rigging cables . I can post pic's for you if you want ?

The Brengun set is worth it for those finer details . Aviattic SSW engine is must if you want the super fine detail . Check out Lances build , he did a super on the engine . As far as I know the engine should fit . For the cookie cutter decals , don't think there is a set out in 32 scale . Only seen the 48 scale ones . Seat Belts and guns , lot of options . I pick up Master's guns and RB productions German seat belts .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhwinter

A huge Thanks to you too, Lance and Terri! Very helpful posts, just what I wanted/needed! I will have a close look at your build-log, Lance and Terri, yes, I'd be glad to see your pics of the attachement plates for the rigging cables.
But when will I build this kit? I do lack a man cave in our house, have to wait until our children both have moved out, which still will take quite a while (and isn't something I am looking foreward to...). For now I am gathering kits, accessory parts and - most of all - ideas.
Richard

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Hi Richard , will have picutures posted for you tomorrow  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline petrov27

anxious to see those pics as well!

Was hoping Aviattic would do the cookie cutter decals but I imagine it is difficult to know how well those would sell given it is an old kit and not WNW

Back in my first build I created the cookie cutter decals myself from Doug Baumann's lozenge patterns on the old Aerodrome forum - these worked pretty well but given they were printed on my home laser they do not have near the quality of pro decals like Aviattics....

Here is that build if interested:
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2995.msg50106#msg50106

-Patrick

Offline rhwinter

I remember your build too, Petrov!