Author Topic: Albatros D.III questions...  (Read 1562 times)

Offline steveb

Albatros D.III questions...
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:14:17 PM »
I am starting on a 1/72 Roden kit, & there are quite a few arrows on the decal sheet. I have studied the intruction sheet numerous times, but do not see any reference to #10, but I could be overlooking it.

Also, what brand of propeller would these be representing?

Many thanks in advance!
Steve

Offline mike in calif

Re: Albatros D.III questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »
Man, you're good!

Offline steveb

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »
Thanks so much! Yes, I have read many horror stories about Roden decals. I had been looking at photos of Koloman's plane & I was totally overlooking those arrows.

Great, I agree, Jaray prop for the 1st one.

But, the second one is still baffling. Could be a Garuda. I was thinking Heine?

Maybe Heiduk?

Thanks again!
Steve

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 06:25:46 AM »
Can't help with either the arrows or propellors (can't find my Datafile, if I remember correctly there were propeller drawings with brands in there), but if the Roden decals are of the "glossy" type they might be usable. I usually put a drop of clear gloss paint underneath and put the decal over that to prevent silvering. I've been able to at least use this type, unlike the flat coated ones, which are rubbish. These fall apart as soon as they come even near water...

Jeroen

Offline steveb

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 12:18:02 PM »
Can't help with either the arrows or propellors (can't find my Datafile, if I remember correctly there were propeller drawings with brands in there), but if the Roden decals are of the "glossy" type they might be usable. I usually put a drop of clear gloss paint underneath and put the decal over that to prevent silvering. I've been able to at least use this type, unlike the flat coated ones, which are rubbish. These fall apart as soon as they come even near water...

Jeroen
Thanks! Datafile #19 does indeed show the Jaray propeller & another unnamed type (it may be in the text, but I'll have to look further)
Also, thanks for the info on the decals. these are glossy, not flat. I do have another D.III kit with the flat decals, so thanks for the warning.

Steve

Offline Berman

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 10:40:47 AM »
I have heard that you can successfully use Roden decals if you use this method. First coat with Microscale decal film solution. Then use fairly hot water for soaking. I have been meaning to try this.

Offline steveb

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 04:21:12 AM »
I have heard that you can successfully use Roden decals if you use this method. First coat with Microscale decal film solution. Then use fairly hot water for soaking. I have been meaning to try this.

Thanks, I will experiment with this & possibly other clear coats.
Steve