Author Topic: WnW Sopwith Snipe Late  (Read 14285 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: WnW Sopwith Snipe Late
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »
Wow, Alistair! Your Snipe looks very good.
I like it and agree to all the comments above.
Chapeau,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
It may be your first, but I can guarantee it won't be your last.
Very well done, Alistair  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline aliluke

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
Hey thanks all,
It is great to be here and receive such a kind reception for my first bi-plane attempt. I still struggle with plastic kits per see - wood is so much more forgiving and easier to repair when you stuff it up. I've also just realised that I exposed much more wood finish on the propeller hub than is correct. Purists will slam me but I don't really care and I'm certainly not going to try to fix this brain fade.

Yep Bob it sure isn't the last - looking hard at what's next. All of the other WNW kits I have stashed are German - so I can guarantee it won't be British. Also it won't be long off as I already want to get back into it. The building is everything - the outcome is nice to look at for just a few days...

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Alpha Delta 210

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
Hi Alistair,

I only joined this great forum today, and like you have never attempted a biplane before. I am usually a fast jet guy, but a recent experience at Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome in Essex with the TVAL Snipe in the scheme that you have portrayed, convinced me to buy the Wingnut Wings kit.

Your build thread has been truly inspirational to me and has given me hints, tips and the confidence to have a go at mine (not sure when, though!!)

I love your finished model and would be very happy to display that on my shelf! ;)

I hope you don't mind, but here is a picture that I took at dusk of the TVAL Snipe at Stow Maries.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
Wow! Wow! That is really cool. Thanks!!

I went for the colour scheme on the basis of the cowl stripes - a shameful admission - I just liked them and knew they would challenge me too. At the end the whole Birkendorf colour scheme was a really good choice for me - like the plane = like the model.

I have a friend at TVAL who has built 5 Snipes and is working on the next 2 along with a Fokker DVII - this Snipe is probably one of those he worked on. I got myself into a cockpit of one of the latest a few months back.

I'm intrigued that fixed rigging appears black but the control rigging is silver. Plus the little jointers between the fixed rigging overlaps. All would be a simple add to my "finished" model.

I'll have to take a photo at that angle to compare - my propeller paint fail is definitely evident...the rest is going to be truly scary - I may not post it.

Have a go - these are magnificent WW1 machines and so much more - what's the right phrase?...authentic to pure bravery than their later evolution. Some seem completely mad but they existed just a dozen years after the first powered flight. Keep the love of the machine in your eye when you build.

Cheers
A
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2017, 11:07:12 PM »
A really outstanding job on the Snipe! Your painting and rigging are excellent. As atestament to how much I like your build I thought that the TVAL Photo was another shot of your build until I read the comments!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alpha Delta 210

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »
Wow! Wow! That is really cool. Thanks!!

I went for the colour scheme on the basis of the cowl stripes - a shameful admission - I just liked them and knew they would challenge me too. At the end the whole Birkendorf colour scheme was a really good choice for me - like the plane = like the model.

I have a friend at TVAL who has built 5 Snipes and is working on the next 2 along with a Fokker DVII - this Snipe is probably one of those he worked on. I got myself into a cockpit of one of the latest a few months back.

I'm intrigued that fixed rigging appears black but the control rigging is silver. Plus the little jointers between the fixed rigging overlaps. All would be a simple add to my "finished" model.

I'll have to take a photo at that angle to compare - my propeller paint fail is definitely evident...the rest is going to be truly scary - I may not post it.

Have a go - these are magnificent WW1 machines and so much more - what's the right phrase?...authentic to pure bravery than their later evolution. Some seem completely mad but they existed just a dozen years after the first powered flight. Keep the love of the machine in your eye when you build.

Cheers
A

Hi Alistair,

Your friend has a truly incredible job!

I have just revisited my images from the Stow Maries, and have found these of the Snipe. They seem to confirm your observation about the rigging.

I wouldn't have noticed your propeller paint "fail" had you not mentioned it.

I'm returning to Stow Maries this weekend, and hope to get close to the Snipe. Is there anything that you would like a close-up shot of?

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2017, 02:35:49 AM »
Looking good Alistair, I for one will not be taking any measurements to find fault on this beauty.  Love what you have done.