Author Topic: WnW Sopwith Snipe Late  (Read 14283 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WnW Sopwith Snipe Late
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 01:03:11 AM »
Really coming together nicely Alistair, that scheme and the Chocolate Brown are a great eye catcher. Justin's advice on a very thin mix of buff/grey lightly misted on would tone the vivid decal colours down nicely, gently does it being the key! This is going to be a really impressive model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 03:06:24 AM »
BTW -- I think your snipe is looking great!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »
Playing catch up again. Great work!!

Steve

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »
I've too been following along. I think you underrate yourself. You are making a very fine model. Thanks for the photos. Looking forward to more.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2017, 08:28:01 PM »
Thanks all,
Summer holidays and getting that spare engine from WNW slowing me down. Anyway - engine finished with ignition wires added (from stripped electrical cable - what a wealth of fine wire!). I struggle with the photography - sorry. The engine is good enough for my plane and when you put it in the cowl and add the propeller there isn't very much to see. Definitely the advice to scissor very close to the part to prevent breaking it - in my case the push rods - was correct and I got everything off the new sprue without any breakages - still learning.

I've got an invite to the Vintage Aviators factory week after next from a friendly contact who works there as a carpenter. I'm very lucky by location - here in Wellington -  and by contacts. Looking forward to seeing the Snipe at full size plus some other planes.

Best regards
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Online KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »
Great work on the engine Alistair!

I'm only disappointed you'll never be able to tell us what you see at the factory. How I'd love to have an hour in there.
Zac in NZ

Offline aliluke

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
Hi
My airbrush is broken so I'm stalled while waiting for a replacement part.
I've visited the factory and can't say much - that is the way it is. But I did get into a replica Snipe cockpit which was amazing and bloody difficult - I'm very tall and these were not designed for my frame...The visit was a dizzy feast of everything - planes, woodwork, engines, machine guns, drawings, photos and on and on. Wingnut Wings is in the same building. Needless to say I didn't even get close to their engine room!

Cheers
A

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2017, 12:57:14 AM »
The engine looks great and it sounds as though your weekend was Awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2017, 07:23:38 PM »
Hi
I've been away for a while but spending a very little bit of modelling time utterly destroying the wings on my Sopwith. All I want to post here is that Dave Johnson from Wingnut - without questioning my idiocy which I admitted - is sending me new wing sprues next week. It took a while for me to even think of asking and a lot less time for Dave to answer by saying "no problem". That is really incredible service! It does help that WNW is not very far away from me but hats off to them and thanks Dave.

Next pictures will be of a completed plane - none of you need progress shots of such a brilliant model from an idiot like me!

Cheers
Alistair

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2017, 10:40:13 PM »
Hi
I've been away for a while but spending a very little bit of modelling time utterly destroying the wings on my Sopwith. All I want to post here is that Dave Johnson from Wingnut - without questioning my idiocy which I admitted - is sending me new wing sprues next week. It took a while for me to even think of asking and a lot less time for Dave to answer by saying "no problem". That is really incredible service! It does help that WNW is not very far away from me but hats off to them and thanks Dave.

Next pictures will be of a completed plane - none of you need progress shots of such a brilliant model from an idiot like me!

Cheers
Alistair

We all have our times when things go completely wrong! One of my Triplane builds is destined for the Hall of shame because I was careless and dropped a FULL coffee Mug on the kit breaking a wing tie and totally ruining the entire rare decal set for von Richthofens triplanes, and 2 Pfalz DIIIa sheets that were sitting in the box. It is your choice but I for one would welcome more in progress shots...from another Modeler who makes Human mistakes  :D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »
Hi
Sopwith Snipe is finished.

A legion of mistakes which would confine it to the Hall of Shame for many here but I'll put it in my Hall of Fame as:
- It is the first WW1 kit I've done.
- It is the first biplane I've done.
- I'll learn from my mistakes - aligning decals between wing and aileron, getting upper wing to fit properly on struts, not snapping off tail plane when installing upper wing (put the tail plane on afterwards - duh), not throwing gobs of glue at things when they refuse to stick, not cleaning up those gobs of glue and scratching paint off in the process - the list goes on and on :-[.
- It is very good looking plane and it came out OKish in the end. I like this colour scheme.
- It is finished and that looked very unlikely at some points...when you break your second attempt at the upper wing in half for example  >:(.

Yep a handy large hammer now and again would have been welcomed but I took a few deep breaths walked away and then just rolled on for better or worse.

And it is already gathering dust - photos not great but here:

On with the next one!

Cheers
Alistair

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »
    Very nice finish Alistair, that second photo really shows the outstanding detail work you did and I too like that rich "chocolate" tone a lot! A number of "firsts", a few mistakes, most important some lessons learned and a place in the Hall of Fame all add up to a great model and a good experience. It took me many years to accept that the "perfect" model is an illusion, the name of the game is getting as close as you can to that goal without losing sight of the fun aspect, and going back through your Build Log here I believe you met those requirements "in spades"!
    I look forward to your next project.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline boggie

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »
Great looking model Alistair!

Excellent instrument panel, very smooth paint job and excellent rigging.

I do like your representation of replacement ailerons. Really adds character.

Very clever idea!

And  please bring on the next one.  :) 

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2017, 12:12:59 AM »
Agree with all of the above, congratulations.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2017, 05:42:20 AM »
Very nicely done. I like it a lot.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.