Author Topic: WnW Sopwith Snipe Late  (Read 14138 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: WnW Sopwith Snipe Late
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 11:43:12 PM »
very nice Alistair

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 01:44:41 AM »
Very nice - the finish on those guns is very realistic :)
I agree 100% and those lap belts look equally realistic!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline steveb

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 05:01:39 AM »
I keep studying the details on this one over & over. Very nice!

Steve

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 12:31:20 PM »
Great work Alistair! The WnW Snipe is a fantastic model.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline aliluke

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
Thanks all
Haven't had much time at the model bench lately...must be Christmas. Gave it a spurt today and now all ready to close the fuselage - it all seems a bit sudden.

Have a good one!
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2016, 03:11:18 AM »
Beautiful work all around! You are tempting me greatly to pull my Late Snipe out of the pile!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »
Thanks
Bad day at the work bench today. Pre-painted the cowling over the cockpit and all went well. While waiting for full curing decided to take on the engine. Do not cut the push rod part off the sprue with hedge trimmers!!! I might have mixed up my summer chores...broke four push rods  :-[ :-[. Successfully glued 3 back together and then pinged the 4th half of one into the ether off the end of my tweezers  :'(. Never to be seen again - waste a summers afternoon looking for half of a 1:32 push rod? Yes I did. The part is stuffed so when Weta reopens I'll have to buy a new engine - fortunately only $14 and being just across town not a big deal but that won't be for weeks as the holidays intervene.

So - my question - what do you use to cut parts like the push rods off the sprue? I have basic side cutters but for these wee pieces they seem like, well, hedge trimmers.

Cheers
Alistair

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 01:31:06 AM »
Alistair, I use a fine razor saw for cutting delicate parts off the sprue. You can get them from Micro Mark and other online hobby shops.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 01:45:06 AM »
I find that on WNW kits at least, even the most delicate parts have been very thoughtlfully designed to be snipped apart with decent side cutters. (Mine are made by Tamiya and are very nice indeed.) Cut very close to the part where the sprue nub is at its smallest section; this will prevent putting additional strain on the part which will happen if you cut the sprue where it is relatively thicker.

Offline rasbury

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016, 01:20:55 PM »
On very delicate parts, I use a pin vise to drill a small hole in each sprue attachment point.  Then when I cut the part off with sprue cutters, the stress is at the hole and the part is usually not harmed. 

The other day, I used this technique on a very delicate 1/72 Eduard Nieuport 17 engine piece and had no problems!

HTH,
Rob

Offline aliluke

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »
Great advice thanks,
I think cutting too far away from the part was the main issue - as Bo says it adds to the stress on the bit being cut off. I'll see how I go.

Cheers
Alistair

Offline aliluke

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »
Closed her up - slightly concerning moment but all went to WNW plans! The cowl over the cockpit is just loose fitted and needs a little push here and there to get into shape. But it fit like a piece of Lego. Also have to sand a little to even the rear seams but bugger all - Lego fit again. Extraordinary kit for one OOB as I intend it to be.

Since I have to get another engine I played with what I had. The cylinders are painted with Mr Metal Dark Iron and then buffed. The exhausts are painted in the same, buffed, then recoated with Mr Metal Copper, buffed and then coated with Mr Metal Iron. I just wanted to see what happened...Basically they are slightly more silvery than the cylinders but you also get this hint of copper behind. I like it but it is very subtle. Need new push rod part to finish the engine and I also intend to try to wire the spark plugs.

Changed the outer body colour from WNW recommended XF82 - Service Grey -  to XF 83 - Medium Sea Grey. I like this a lot more - paler and with a hint of blue in it. XF82 is a battleship grey - nil chroma.

Cheers
Alistair

Offline boggie

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »
Very nice progress Alistair!  8)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 02:35:51 AM »
Superb looking innards, Alistair!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Monty

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 03:09:44 AM »
It's all looking very, very nice Alistair! The cockpit is really beautiful! I have one and I'm looking forward to starting - but two of the engine pushrods are already broken on the sprue! I have been thinking about that and how to tackle it - complicated - I think a replacement part is the best option! Regards, Marc.