Author Topic: WnW Sopwith Snipe Late  (Read 14303 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: WnW Sopwith Snipe Late
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 04:54:05 AM »
 Alistair,
Outstanding paintwork my friend. Inspiring works come from your most talented bench. Keep up the Excellence.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline aliluke

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »
Thanks all
After spraying the whole panel with a matte coat I have used the Kristal Klear with a good result. I may add another layer of Kristal Klear to get a bit more build up on the glass. I have updated the photo in the original post but still having trouble getting my camera settings to show the real colours - never mind.

I have figured out what Future is but can't find how to get it in NZ - anyone know?

Best regards
Alistair

It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:51 PM »
Alistair,
    Future has changed names many times over the years I've been using it (must be at least 25!) and it has had different labels in different countries. Look for "Pledge with Future" or "Future Shine" on the label. It is labelled as "an acrylic floor finish for no wax or regular floors". It's made by the SC Johnson Company and I believe most versions contain the word "Pledge" these days. I've been using a 795ml bottle for approximately 5 years and it's still 2/3 full, so the price can't be beat!
Good luck, hope you can find it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 12:19:53 AM »
This is a great start, Alistair. some very neat and precise modelling on the seat and instrument panel! Enjoy, these kits are a pleasure... Regards,  Marc

Offline michaelmys

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 09:06:22 AM »
http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

This article gives some New Zealand information, but I have to say I've had a quick look in Bunnings and the Warehouse for products under the names they give, but with no success.

Cheers!
Michael

Offline aliluke

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
Hi
Finally finished the very intense cockpit. As many others have noted it is very crowded. The kit does fit together perfectly but some moments of patience and a few deep breathes are needed to get it together. It is very difficult to photograph - you can't see the control cables but they are all there. No way I'm going to try to run them through to the surfaces they work - beyond my skills and hats off to those that do. Very impressed by Mr Model Dark Iron paint which I used on the machine guns. It really does look like metal - a great product. Thanks to all who posted their work on the same here - I poured over those images.

Onward
Alistair

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 04:34:54 PM »
Very,very good cockpit. The wood tone is so warm and the details look very sharp. I like it.Great!
bye,Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 07:01:07 PM »
That is a work of art. Love it.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline aliluke

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »
Thanks for your feedback. I still feel like a newbie at this.

One thing I wanted to say about the kit is that is over connected in some instances - this is advice for those following. For instance the machine guns are tabbed into the interconnecting piece - the feed chute - and in turn all are tabbed into the machine gun frame. That is 6 interconnecting tabs joining four pieces. My first go at that resulted in it all going together OK but slightly misaligned - a tiny angle from left to right. Couldn't stand that so I pulled it all apart - very, very gently - and removed the tabs that joined the guns to the chute. Made it a hell of lot easier to get everything properly aligned and there is no way you can tell that the guns and the feed chute are not tabbed together. Same could be said for the rudder bar - too many tabs and sometimes better off without them. Just a thought.

Cheers
Alistair

Online RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 12:17:40 AM »
A very clean, crisp, well rigged interior! The wood color is great! I think I tried running the rigging lines all of the way through on my build. IIRC It didn't quite work out as planned  :-\  I have the late model in my stash and am sure I will do as you when I get to the control wire rigging.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 12:38:53 AM »
Very nice work on that office space.  Looking forward to your next update.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 12:42:47 AM »
    Outstanding job on the cockpit module, Alistair, the closer I look at the photos the more detail and contrast I see. I'm particularly impressed by the "plumbing" which stands out so well on the lower left wall in the first two photos, marvellous work.
    Is that Mr. Metal Colour Dark Iron (#214) you used on the guns? I've never thought of using it for armament but it sure looks perfect here.
    I've been thinking a second Snipe would be a great project, seeing yours has really got me thinking more! Keep up your exceptional work. 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 04:03:55 AM »
That is truly first class modelling. The wood tones look just like real wood and the metallic finish of the guns is excellent too. The seat and other details are most realistic - in all an extremely feel put together module. Looking forward to more.

Stephen.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 04:59:28 AM »
Those guns (and the rest, obviously) look very realistic, but my eye keeps being drawn to the seat... :)

Offline aliluke

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
Thanks for your positive feedback - I feel like I've joined the group now.

Lance - yes it is Mr Metal Dark Iron. I think I got the idea from Des? It buffs up really well with a cotton tip and certainly looks the part to my eye.

Cheers
Alistair