Author Topic: Working on 'Ready Rig'  (Read 3232 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Working on 'Ready Rig'
« on: November 04, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
Hello all,
 I'm thinking of producing a one-stop rigging solution. Rigging line, tube and eyelet all in place and ready to rig.
Now... Before I jump into giving this some serious thought I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinions.

Questions:
Should I apply eyelet/tube @ both ends of the run or one end as shown in the pics below?

If both ends are rigged, should I lock and trim the waste from one end? Leaving one end fully adjustable or leave both ends mobile and leave the tweaking to the modeller?

What would be a good ballpark figure for length of rigging run including waste?

Am I mad? ;-)

Von Tangled Mess

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Working on 'Ready Rig'
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
I just wonder... I was afraid of rigging, once. But then I read Des's instructions, found your web shop with instructions, with eyelets and tubes available. And suddenly rigging became my favourite piece of this hobby. I suppose, that well explained process and availability of just eyelets and tubes will make the feared process easy for anybody. I do not personally see the point in preparing such ready to rig pieces. IMHO there are too many unknowns, starting with the line length, ending with type of the end fitting - exactly what you ask about. I do not see a simple answer to these questions. If I were you, I would focus on making eyelets and tubes available. They are so universal, that any rigging type can be done without any problems.
Just my 3 cents, of course, I am curious what others will say.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:11:37 PM »
I value your opinion, Prze!
Just the sort of feedback I need - cheers!

vB

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline James

Working on 'Ready Rig'
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 11:17:33 PM »
Having never have rigged anything, this might be the solution for someone who has never rigged or for someone just starting to get into World War I aircraft.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

guitarlute101

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 12:06:51 AM »
I think its a great idea. Perfect for anyone with trouble seeing the tiny holes the rigging would loop through. Fully adjustable at one end. Awesome.

Mark

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 12:55:16 AM »
von Tangler,
    I'm no expert on things commercial Bob, however I see this as a very limited market product. You already provide excellent products for 2 of the three ingredients required for the rigging process, the line being, pardon the pun, flexible to the particulars of the operation. I can see the neophyte using pre-assembled components as James points out and very quickly discovering that he can assemble them during the Build himself and save a few pennies.
   My vote is with Prze, having a ready supply of tubes and eyelets to meet your customer's demands is the way to go, a few premade items for the (my forecast) limited requests you may get wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't burden my overhead column with a large inventory!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 01:12:12 AM »
Perhaps including one with a von Buckles set would be a way to help jump-start the rigging experience for those new to the adventure?

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 02:13:48 AM »
 Bob,
Although I don't believe I would use your "Ready Rig". I do believe it would be an excellent product idea for the first time WWI modeler or anyone wanting an easier way to rig. All and all Bob I believe you've come up with a winning idea here and wish you the best of luck with this new venture.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 02:45:09 AM »
Well, vB, I've ummed and ahhed all afternoon about this.

I can see a case for the sort of one stop rigging solution you describe, although many will  prefer just the separate, excellent raw materials you provide already. The problem as I see it could be the enormously varying length of line given the different scales and models. A possible way ahead would to offer a range bespoke sets, but it could involve lots of work on your part. For example, at the simple end a complete set for the WNW 1/32 Fokker D.VII or, getting more complex another for an Eduard 1/48 Nieuport 17 etc.

Another bespoke form could rely on the customer telling you what line lengths they require. For example, 6 one stop sets at 15cm; 4 at 10cm; and 8 at 6cm.

What sort of line would you envisage using?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 04:23:50 AM »
I like Mike's suggestion of including one complete 'ready rig' with each order. I may just do that! Thanks Mike  ;)

The biggest obstacle to pulling this off is time and we all know that making tiny things requires lots of it. Earlier this afternoon I set aside 1 hour to see how many complete rig runs I could make. Well, a less than impressive 9 complete runs for 60 minutes ain't gonna cut it! I'm sure I can improve that total with a well rehearsed system, but at the end of the day it would be unfair to charge the customer a price based on an hourly rate. So, with that being said I will shut up and get back to what I do best.

Thanks for your input!
Back to the drawing board.

Von B

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 09:28:46 PM »
It's lovely idea but have to say it would be a lot of work for very little reward although I for one would probably happily pay for it.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »
In my opinion this can be a good idea, for novices fear to rig but also for veterans experiencing sight and manuality issues when aging. The only issue will probably be the amount of time needed to produce the ready made rigging sections, but I think it is worth to try.
Giuseppe

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »
I don't even do rigging with eyelets and turnbuckles, but with this system I would be tempted to try.... Marc

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 01:21:58 AM »
Very good idea!
But a lot of work from your side. If you don't produce in India or Bangladesh.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
i think its a great idea, some love rigging and some detest it. i am the latter. i think it should be done by you to order though. say john doe modeller needs to rig a wnw re8 well then he orders a pre-rig set from bobs buckles. this would include all the appropriate lengths with a few spares for mistakes perhaps. i would lock one side in making sure the eyelet swings free allowing the modeller to glue one side in one hole ,glue the other side in the second hole,cynch it up, allow a drop of extra thin ca to wick into the second cynched up tube and done. you would be selling a set as requested for each individual. other wise i dont know what to say about lengths etc. the above way you quote a price for each model needed. then say another guy wants a set for an eduard oeffag albatros. you sell custom sets per request. this way you also dont waste any labor doing lengths and scales that may not be needed. just my couple pence.