Author Topic: Another Wingnut Wings SE5a  (Read 20550 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Another Wingnut Wings SE5a
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 05:50:29 AM »
Brilliant work with the cockpit Tug, the wood colours are excellent and the instrument panel is exceptional.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 06:44:28 AM »
Very good looking office space.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 06:26:07 PM »
Thanks for the endorsements Des and Juan - very much appreciated  :)

Hoping to get a good session today though it appears domestic duties are going to prevent an early start  :(

Tug

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 07:28:33 PM »
This is all shaping up beautifully, Tug. I'm looking forward to your further updates.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 01:23:23 AM »
I am envious of just how clean and nice your interior looks! I am looking forward to your next post!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 02:12:02 AM »
This is definitely a very nice Se 5a coming along. Very nice work on the interior, I love it!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Monty

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 05:56:06 AM »
This is looking quite stunning, Tug! Some beautiful wood tones and great attention to detail make this a wonderful build to follow! I see a big Tammy F4U in the background there... that will simply steal your WW1 modelling time away!! Regards, Marc

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 06:33:51 AM »
Thanks Nigel, Rick and Borsos - 'nice to see you here'  :)

I'd hoped to start the surfaces today but decided to make absolutely sure the cowl fitted over the engine before painting. It soon became obvious that there was an issue with the cowl not sitting down far enough. Finally traced to the engine cylinders not sitting firmly down to the crankcase so the engine was broken apart and rebuilt more carefully (who forgot to scrape the paint off  :-[) The cylinders were just not quite sitting at the correct angle either. Once corrected a decision was made to fit it at this stage and carry out some fiddly masking rather than trying to get the cowl to fit after all the painting. With some minor tweaking of surfaces the cowl now fits much better height-wise and near perfect length-wise.  The oft quoted advice to ensure that locating surfaces on these kits are devoid of paint layers really becoming obvious today.

That said, despite some very careful fitting, the top cockpit cover fitted back in place with it's positive click still needing a smidgeon of filler along its lower edge on both sides

The other side required a similar amount and the area on the rear fuse just behind the join was rather full so this was scraped to fair in with the cover.

As said previously the top join of the front coaming half fitted perfectly but a thin plasti card insert was required to fill quite a large gap on the lower edge.

I'm pretty sure this was not due to misalignment issues or lack of attention to fit's that caused this small amount of filling to be carried out but the rest of the fits have been superb - particularly the fuse to wing join - so it may have been something I did to cause that  :-\. I'm sure though, that once the paint is on, it will all look right enough.

Your post came up as I was typing this Marc - thanks for your comments. Yes, the F4U was bought in a moment of weakness I'm afraid - great plane with stunning character but I'm definitely more a jet man so it could be quite a while before that one sees the top of the bench ::)

That's it for today - thanks for looking in

Tug
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:07:55 PM by Suffolk Lad »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 12:57:13 AM »
Tug,
Your SE is really coming together quickly and looks terrific! Soon you will be beyond where I am on my build so I can follow your lead  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2016, 01:51:17 AM »
Beautiful work all 'round, Tug!  I'm envious of your pace!  My builds are becoming glacial by comparison.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 04:51:10 AM »
 Tug,
Outstanding update my old friend. Can't wait to see more. Keep up the excellence!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2016, 09:01:33 AM »
Hi guys - thanks as always for your kind comments  :)

Rick - you've overlooked one small factor - you're building three at the same time :o

Bud - I just try to get onto it as often as I can but it is an easy kit to put together so it's progress is not due to any particular rush to get it done. It is nice though when you can get a few days of continuity in the w'shop to see things grow quickly.

Gregory - nice to see you look in - I hope you are keeping well and still managing to get some time at the work bench.

No pics today and only got some time on it this afternoon. Masked off the engine - dumping half a new bottle of Humbrol masking fluid over the bench as a small distraction  ::) (Fortunately not over any parts -phew! ) Everything is now in primer and ready for some colour tomorrow.

Regards - Tug

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »
Hi Guys - managed to have a good day on it today  :) - but most of it spent masking  ::)

I've done some pre painting before the PC10 is applied. This is mainly to hopefully show through the paint as it is weathered. I have decided to do it as a 56 squadron B flight 'H' - only one image I can find and that's of it crashed. I have no idea of how soon it crashed after being built but I'm going to do it as one that has seen some 'exposure'

First though was to get the CDL on the lower surfaces. I used Tamiya Deck Tan as a basis pre shading and post shading with Nato Black.

I'm not sure of the centre panel - is that an aluminium cover or plywood - I opted for the latter

Roundels were masked and sprayed using basic Tamiya Flat Red, White and Blue the blue being darkened slightly with some Royal Blue. The 'H' was a cut mask and is the same size as for the top surface. I don't know if the clipped leg is true but it was either that or narrow the letter or reduce it's height.  Once its on its base it's not going to be too obvious  ;)

With the engine masked off the various panels were blocked in

As said masking took a while but is always worth the effort in the long run

The lower surfaces were masked off to give the border edging

Some heavy pre-shading with Nato Black

And finally tonight the masking was removed ready for the top coat of PC10 tomorrow

Hope to get another good day on it tomorrow - thanks for looking in, hope it's of interest

Regards - Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »
   Super update Tug, you've made a tremendous amount of progress and she's looking very good! I'll be checking after tomorrow, that's some serious pre-shading you've done and I think it'll pay off really well!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »
Wonderfull progress! Your paint job is first rate. Are you going to make some chipping on the metal surfaces or did you just want to have a differently looking base for the PC 10 when you painted the wooden parts and the metal parts so carefully?
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.