Author Topic: Another Wingnut Wings SE5a  (Read 20562 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

Re: Another Wingnut Wings SE5a
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »
Well, having read your link Rick - I've had to reappraise my thinking  :-\

Until I did so I had no idea that this particular SE5A had the fuselage modified around the cockpit. As I don't want to get into using the True Details conversion nor spend time modifying what is a very nicely moulded kit I shall take the easy route out - change the aircraft!

I have today begun the assembly here are a few pics of progress

New addition was this Datafile to go along with the Squadron book

I decided to go with the smooth sided as opposed to the wrinkled fuselage kit parts but masked off the uprights and scraped away between to give that sunken appearance. The fin had no indication of ribs as such so these were masked off too, the areas between also scraped for relief and the rib tapes simulated at a later stage using narrow strips of self adhesive vinyl sheet.

All but a few parts were prepped for priming in one go

Incidentally, this is my spray area - the filter, made from padded lining material obtained at the local sewing shop hides a 6" extractor fan bought off Ebay for about 15 pounds- a cheap but very effective spray booth and filter.

Because the engine will be fully cowled no attempt was made to 'enhance' the frontal area other than a basic 'wood' colour  for background effect (if indeed it will be seen at all) The moulded on tensioners were scraped  off and replaced using Ushi Line.

No attempt to detail the engine - just as it comes as again, most of it will not be seen.

The main cockpit assembly. The wood was done using the Alkyd oils over acrylic which dried completely over night. Given that it was going to be well hidden inside it was not coated over with Tamiya clear tints but just a light mist of Kleer (Future)
The seat belts were well annealed in a lighter flame before bending, sprayed with Kleer first before priming as this adheres to brass much better and goes a long way to prevent flaking occurring -always a problem with brass and copper parts.

Some of the metallic parts

The dials were all scraped off the dashboard to give a smooth surface for graining. The dials will be replaced using etch parts tomorrow with luck. The formers were just sprayed and the cockpit sill is still in the throes of painting

And finally something is together. I had a 'near one' when applying some solvent on that joint twixt seat back and coaming - shaking hands flipped a brushful all over the left side :o  Fortunately my fingers, though holding it together, were missed so it was just left to evaporate off - a nice big, solvent induced, fingerprint at this stage would really have made my day  ::)

All these pics bear testament to Lance's comments on camera Macro facilities and the ability to make things look far worse than the eye see's them - you'll have to take my word that it doesn't look too bad in the flesh.

That's it for now - pretty run of the mill stuff but I hope that has some interest value for someone

Regards - Tug

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 09:47:35 AM »
"... pretty run of the mill stuff..." Hardly!  Excellent update, Tug!  Brilliantly painted cockpit bits.  Makes me want to build one.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »
Outstanding start to what is sure to be a super build.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
    Your Machro setting works much better then mine Tug, the cockpit looks great and the detail is exceptional even at this early stage! Looks like a real winner in the making, that lay off didn't hurt your skills at all!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »
Very nice start. The pilot's seat section looks great and I like the idea of scarping away some plastic to simulate a bit sunken fabric. Btw you have a great workbench. I wish I could manage to keep mine just half as clean/tidy as yours. My workbench looks alwasys like someone threw a granade into a sparebox with a lot of sprues, cans and paper ;D.
Cheers,manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 05:54:43 PM »
Lovely! Very fine subtle cockpit. And the engine. I am watching with interest as SE.5a is high on my to-do list.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 10:36:02 PM »
Looking good! And I also envy your workbench, I have a small booth for airbrusing in the shed, and do the rest on the kitchen table :)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:15 AM »
"... pretty run of the mill stuff..." Hardly!  Excellent update, Tug!  Brilliantly painted cockpit bits.  Makes me want to build one.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with my Amigo with one exception. Makes me want to finish mine   8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 08:02:42 AM »
Hi guys

Thanks for looking in and for your encouragement and supportive comments - they are all much appreciated  :)

Managed to get the dashboard and sill near finished today, took some pics tonight but they really have turned out bad so will try again tomorrow, hopefully with them finished and ready to fit.

Jeroen - time was I built many a model on the kitchen table, particularly flying models. The balsa dust and smell of dope did not make for popular conversation  ;D

Manni - wait till it's been in use for a day, then you would see I'm just as bad  ::) By nature I am usually a very tidy person in my workshop but when I'm into something that virtue goes out of the window and 'stuff' just builds up all around until I reach the point that it just has to be put away start again to be able to continue (if that makes sense  :-\)

PrzemoL - The engine is just painted two basic colours Alclad steel and Tamiya Nato Black with the odd bit touched up with Vallejo Aluminium. The wash with oils was more out of habit than actually required as so little of it will be seen.

I must admit it's nice to be back at the bench without too many distractions and having something to say

Regards - Tug

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
I must say Tug , I really like your wood effect . Impressive

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 06:15:51 PM »
Thanks Terri,
It's nice to know how others see it as I'm still very much on a learning curve in this aspect. This time  I found using this Alkyd paint over Acrylic that the actual 'smooth' working time wasn't that long and the constant working appeared to increase this drying effect, the paint beginning to drag a little. It was especially noticeable when doing the propeller.  I think possibly a tad of linseed or poppy oil might help at the cost of slightly longer drying time. Another might be to wet the surface with white spirit first - I think I'll give that a try next time.

Thanks for looking in

Regards - Tug

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 11:22:05 PM »
Smashing work, Tug!

I still use "normal" oils for wood effect - I have to let it dry for a week but given how long it takes me to build, that's not an issue!

Offline paulj,james

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2016, 07:08:46 PM »
The speed you are going tug you will have it at the Christmas meeting  nice job so far .

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 04:22:09 AM »
Hi Ian - my impatience to get on led me to look for something faster! The wood work on the Camel was done with traditional oils and the wait before it was handleable felt like forever  ::) It's something I'd really like to master though so may have to curb that impatience a little.

Hi Paul, not very likely, perhaps the January one though.

Nothing done today guys - forgot that a trip to the Bury Xmas fair was on the cards  ::) Lots of 'traipsing' around hundreds of stalls has lead to a well worn out feeling - ah I'm getting too old for that kind of thing me thinks  :-\  It's sailing tomorrow so that's another day off  too - ooh, lifes a bugger at times eh?  ;D

Back soon
Tug

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 05:44:08 AM »
Hi Guys - just another three pics as promised

The internals are more or less done and hopefully I can start on the outsides tomorrow

The dash, sill and top cover ready to fit.

The dash was built up using a combination of WnW and Airscale decals and various etched dials from Aeroscale. A little bit of copper wire for the plumbing and a petrol tap from plastic-card improved things ....

... then right at the last minute it was noticed in the DataFile that the turn and bank indicator was missing from the kit details so one was added from the Aeroscale etch parts.

I have had a dry run with putting the top on which fits well with a satisfying click as it snaps in place. The cover over the gun however, fitting perfectly at the top centre line leaves a substantial gap at the bottom so this has been addressed with a sliver of 20 thou card glued to the fuse side

Hopefully, as said,  tomorrow will see the start of doing the outer surfaces  :)

Thanks for looking in

Regards - Tug