Author Topic: Another Wingnut Wings SE5a  (Read 20526 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

Another Wingnut Wings SE5a
« on: November 04, 2016, 09:13:36 AM »
Hi guys,

I've really missed having something to post about but finally, having had far too long a break away, I'm pleased to be back at the bench and hopefully without too much distraction for several weeks to come.

I guess it's time to break into the first of those Wingnuts kits then and have picked the SE5a as a starting point.

A tentative start has been made on getting parts prepped - the one thing that is immediately apparent is the quality and precision of moulding. The insides of the fuselage have been relieved of the cross bracing and the ejector marks removed but that done a firm decision has been made not to spend time on anything that cannot be seen on the finished model, the accent will be more on overall external effect instead.

Some may recall that when I began the Hobbycraft Camel build I made reference to a desire to have a case containing models on the sideboard below a picture in my lounge.
Here's the picture (print) - Dawn Patrol by Robert Taylor of SE5's from 89 Squadron and the materials are to hand for making the case (more on that a bit later)

It was my original intention to finish the model as the aircraft portrayed above being flown by Gwylim Lewis, co-signature of the picture with RL Childs Roberts but this picture on the 2016 Cross and Cockade calendar changed that thought. I liked the inset roundels and that large white 'G' and fuselage band. There are two photos in the SE5a Squadron book of this aircraft too.

Well that's it for a first post on a new subject guys - it's really nice to have something to say at last  :) - I'll be back with the next in due course.

Regards - Tug

Offline rhwinter

Re: Another Wingnut Wings SE5a
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
Looking foreward to your build, Tug/Lad! I bought one only recently and either imagine it as a post war skywriter or a Viper-powered USAS machine (Rowan of Pheon Decals once mentioned he was designing a conversion set. But there's also one by Mastercasters.)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »
I have the same print in my collection and mainly for the fact that Captain Robert Leslie Chidlaw-Roberts MC AFC  has signed it.

Good luck with your build  :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »
Ah, so that's how his name is spelt Bob - it looks like 'Childs' on the print. Do you have the sister print, 'High Patrol'? That sits above me as I type this and was the first one we bought - must have been 1984/5. As great an aviation and maritime artist as Robert Taylor is I've always thought he never captured the Camel in that as well as he did the SE5's - still a great painting though  :)

Sounds like a nice variation you have in mind RHW but would I be right in thinking the Mastercasters set would be for the Roden kit? Given Lances adventures (?) with his Nieuport cockpit details I can't imagine it would be quite in the same league as the standard of the WnW kit. Though I've examined all the sprues through the bags on those kits bought so far the actual quality of the moulding is truly outstanding once seen close up. As an ex machinist I would just love to see the quality of engineering in the tooling - I was looking at the (very) small bent piping for the engine yesterday - barely a whisper of tooling halves on such a tiny part, machining at it's finest for sure

Tug

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 08:16:48 PM »
Do you have the sister print, 'High Patrol'?

I do indeed! It's one of my favorites of Robert Taylor's work. My HP  hangs in the Man-Pit alongside some lovely works by Russell Smith.

vB    :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 01:31:35 AM »
Tug,
    Good luck with this project. The Kit is, in my experience, second only to their "Biff", simply outstanding quality and engineering throughout! I did 4891 as well, with the later "6" and modified cockpit "bubble" addition. I liked the Kit so much I immediately stashed a second to do later in standard layout, probably as another 56 Sqn. bird of Rhys-Davids or Burden's.
    I'll be looking over your shoulder closely on this one!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 02:00:51 AM »
  Tug,
This promises to be another Outstanding project my old friend. Looking forward to following along.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 12:52:50 AM »
Von B - It was not until I joined this site that I became aware of Russell's great paintings. My 'collection', at one time hung all about the house, now resides mainly up the loft  ??? so buying another would now seems a bit frivolous. The decision to reduce the display followed some major redecorating some time back and a desire to have things less cluttered. We still have the High Patrol, a McDonough, Wooten and Trudgian hung plus my favourite of all an FE2b by Joe Kotula. Joe did a lot of the cover paintings for an American model aircraft magazine in the fifties.

Lance - Your remarks are confirmed each time I look at the parts  ;) When you say 4891 'as well' - this will be 4893 as flown by McCudden with 56 sqn. Two planes same pilot, or ?

Gregory - Nice to hear from you - hope you are keeping well and still back at the bench.

Sailing packed up early today - really miserable wet and cold conditions - so I'm now off in the warm to do a bit more prepping  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 03:08:54 AM »

Lance - Your remarks are confirmed each time I look at the parts  ;) When you say 4891 'as well' - this will be 4893 as flown by McCudden with 56 sqn. Two planes same pilot, or ?
Tug,
   You've got me confused now, do you mean his 4863, "G"? The Cross and Cockade painting is of 4891 prior to McCudden modifying the cockpit walls, removing the headrest, and adding the big red LVG spinner in Dec of 1917. I'd love to know if you have more info, I had a hard time sorting out the mods and markings when I did mine!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 04:49:12 AM »
Oops Lance :-[ That was a typo on my part. Yes indeed 4863 'G'. (Well I was close - just had the 6 upside down :D)

I had noticed the image of the aircraft fitted with the LGV spinner on the opposite page but had not paid much attention to the caption ::) which is 4891 - however the caption gives this as 4891 '6' (The actual marking is hidden from view in this specific image)

I confess I hadn't twigged the serial difference between the photos and the C&C painting to-date, just assumed that the painting was the same as 4863 'G' in the photos.  As you say though it's 4891 'G' in the painting.

I think this serves to prove that my interest is purely visual at times and not historical so you'll be pleased to realise that no, I don't have any new info scoured from some dusty archive - just my old grey cells doing their usual thing :D

I'll keep to 4863 'G' then  ;)

Still plodding on prepping

My Best Lance - Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 07:48:23 AM »
Tug,
    You'd have to work at it to beat the work my old grey cells do to add confusion to any issue! The publishers don't help either as they insist on adding typos to the mix; check the one on photo 56/6's caption where they've reversed the serial of 4863. Absolutely superb book overall though, and the Camel version is just as good.
   Enjoy the Build, it's an outstanding Kit, and I'll be following along here!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »
Ha! I hadn't twigged the reversal Lance - just shows how much attention I pay at times  ::)

I don't have the Camel book just two of the Datafiles but intend to pop over to Hannants this week to get one of the Datafiles for the SE.

Thanks for your input  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »
As I have this kit l shall follow this build with great interest. Unlike you I'm not confident enough to start on a WNW kit just yet.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 07:35:58 AM »
Tug,
Great to see you have started your build log! I am greatly looking forward to what you do with this one!! Just to muddy the waters I thought I would post this link to an old thread I started  ::)
RAGIII

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=4830.0
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 08:54:39 AM »
Hi Rick, Toby,

Don't expect too much - it's going to be a basic OOB with just a small bit of intervention on my behalf  :D

Rick - just taken a quick look at your link - that looks like some good interchange there. I'm just about to turn in but will have a real good read through tomorrow.

I just have a couple of pieces left to set up and a tweak or two on the fuse sides and I can get the primer on  ;)

Bought the Data-file today - excellent production and worth every penny. My, there's some rigging on this for such a small aircraft - still trying to decide whether to use mono filament (preferred for longevity) or elastic (ease (?) of use)  :-\

Regards - Tug