Author Topic: Battlefield 1?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

Battlefield 1?
« on: October 28, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »
Has anyone seen this?my brother just told me about it. Seems to be an Xbox game which is completely ww1 based including but not exclusive to aircraft. So you can be in the trenches etc. Don't know much until I go over to his house and see. I do know you can select different craft and different pilots I was told as I was on the phone that my nephew was flying the red barons dr.1 in combat.wanted to get the word out as well as ask what's it like to guys like us? You know ww1 aero snobs. Lol

Offline oldalbie

Re: Battlefield 1?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »
This game will also be available for the PC.  There are many different options aside from the Western Front, for example, one can do a campaign at Gallipoli as well.  From what my son tells me, the aircraft are pretty well researched as well as the other forms of combat.  I've only seen screen shots myself but they do look pretty good.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Here's a link to an article about the game just published on News.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/gaming/game-reviews/battlefield-1-release-game-puts-users-at-the-centre-of-world-war-i/news-story/e05f8ec75f7bfda4a9202b8c86c63613

The writer is Royce Wilson who contributes material to this forum too. He's the games reviewer for News.com.au

Declaration of interest- I'm his proud dad!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:12:54 AM »
My son, who has been a WWI fan since his childhood and an avid gamer, says it's basically an insult to the history and the men who served. He refuses to participate. Things such as Fokker Dr.I's flying in desert campaigns and all kinds of historical inaccuracies and political correctness to appease.

Now, before anyone here jumps me with the "you gotta get kids interested in some way", I will agree. However, you can make the game interesting and still make it accurate.

If you want a good first person shooter game, get Verdun.

If you want an accurate simulation of WWI combat, get Rise of Flight.

As always, just my opinion, of course.

Offline ondra

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 05:36:50 AM »
I have read several reviews and seen some videos from the game.

To a certain extent I have to agree with Warren, at the same time I have to be fair with the authors of the game. The main point here is - it is commercial stuff. And from commercial stuff you can expect nothing else but being designed as commercial stuff. Therefore, there are things that are disturbing for hard core WWI fans, like the Dreideckers flying over Palestina.

As a hard core WWI fan, I have to say, this is not my cup of tea. Nevertheless, I have to say this game might fulfill expectations of common PC game lovers, as it looks "about right" from their point of view. Just the same as e. g. Flyboys (where all german figher pilots of course have to fly red triplanes and climbing parameters of the aircraft are comparable with jets...).

To put it in a nutshell - if you want to enjoy the real WWI atmosphere, Verdun, Rise of Flight or Wings over Flanders fields are a better choice for you. If you want to play a WWI game, give it a try.

Cheers

Ondra

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:03:06 AM »
Hey, as an educator I'm all about "gateways" to get folks interested in a subject. Years back I caught flak by wanting to use historic novels. FWIW one of my history professors rekindled an old childhood passion of mine by having us read "The Killer Angels" in our class on the ACW. As a novel it's great, as good history it's not so great, BUT there are millions of people that started on that research journey because of that book and others like it. Now, the difference between TKA and this game is that at no time did the author of TKA make the participants seem like caricatures, bring in people, units, etc. who were a continent away, etc.

There's just a difference.

Sorry. Rant  off now.

Warren

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:06:37 PM »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Bolman

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:45:35 AM »
I have the game for my PS 4. If anyone is interested in my personal opinion, feel free to PM me.

John