Author Topic: WnW 1/32 DFW C.V (late)  (Read 15456 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WnW 1/32 DFW C.V (late)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
   I buy the "travel size" manual pump hairspray for about $2 per bottle, apply it with a brush and it works just great.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
Forgot to mention - I always decant any rattle can into a jar and use an airbrush. This hairspray thing needs a fair bit of control. Same with Tamiya primer etc.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 08:13:06 AM »
More progress on the wings - a very streaky pattern to these. Tons of masking top and bottom to get the effect of the structure inside the canvas.

The metal parts received the same weathering as the engine cowling, and the etched metal turnbuckles have been attached to copper loops in preparation for the rigging. After viewing the pics, I think the compass needs a bit of Tamiya Smoke to cut down the brightness.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 08:35:02 AM »
Amazing work Gary, simply amazing.   :)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
Beautiful paint and weathering.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 09:22:51 AM »
Nice!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »
   Fantastic work, Gary, the degree of realism you've created here is incredible.
   What "etched metal turnbuckles" are you using?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2016, 12:16:49 PM »
Beautiful painting! The weathered look is awesome to say the least!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »
Beautiful painting! The weathered look is awesome to say the least!
RAGIII
Again, I agree with my Amigo, Gary!  Masterful paint work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »
Very well done Gary.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2016, 02:41:50 AM »
Thanks again, gentlemen! Glad you like it.

Lance - the etched metal turnbuckles I use are the ones from RB Productions in Ireland. For seven Euro you get 80 of them, and since this model uses about 40 or so, it can be done a lot cheaper than using the Gaspatch ones (which are nice!). When the RB Production ones are painted up they look good enough to me.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2016, 03:06:40 AM »
That is a first class piece of painting. How you artists achieve the streaking effect is beyond me. The rest of the model is equally outstanding.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 05:09:54 AM »
Gary,
would you be so kind and share your version of the hairspray technique with us? I tried it more then once (using AK chipping fluid) and I never achieved such subtle and fine effects as you did on the fuselage and wings. I switched to the sponge technique now, as I always got just some few but realy big aeras, where the paint chipped off.
As all the others have said, congrats to this wonderful progress!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »
Gary,
would you be so kind and share your version of the hairspray technique with us? I tried it more then once (using AK chipping fluid) and I never achieved such subtle and fine effects as you did on the fuselage and wings. I switched to the sponge technique now, as I always got just some few but realy big aeras, where the paint chipped off.
As all the others have said, congrats to this wonderful progress!
Borsos

Hi Borsos, glad to help with an explanation of the technique.

The base colour is airbrushed on, and in this case it was Tamiya's Buff for the fuselage, and Alclad II Duraluminum for the cowling and other metal parts. Over this I spray a protective coat of Future gloss.

I decanted a small amount of Textureline "texturesprayfirm" hair spray into a jar, and airbrush a thin coat onto the areas that will need the weathering technique. After the hairspray is nice and dry, I'll airbrush on the finish coat using the appropriate Tamiya acrylic. In this case it was the XF61 dark green. Using Tamiya acrylics, I know this technique will work - I've never tried enamels or Vallejo paints.

The thing to remember - the paint will lift from the surface that is dampened, dissolving the hair spray, so care is needed to only dampen it a slight amount. I take a wide, stiff paint brush and dip it in water, then wipe most of the water off on a cloth. I then lightly scrub the surface until I see the paint JUST start to lift. It is easy to do it too much - then you have big chunks coming off. It is not easy, and takes a fair bit of patience. I possibly took too much off the panels on the lower wing, but a wash of oil paint helped it look better :-) I try to protect the finished surface when I'm happy with the result with another thin coat of Future gloss.

If too much paint comes off, it can also be helped by re-spraying the area (which could resemble a repair on a real aircraft).
Hope this helps!

Gary

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 08:42:17 AM »
Gary, Thank you for sharing.  Will have to try this in the future.