Author Topic: WnW 1/32 DFW C.V (late)  (Read 15426 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: WnW 1/32 DFW C.V (late)
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »
You have certainly achieved a well worn look! I Like it!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »
Agree with RAGIII, well worn look to that beauty.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Rick & Juan, thanks for the comments! The good thing about "work in progress" is that the scruffy effect will be toned down as needed as the project nears completion.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »
She looks like a very tired and worn out old girl, but the effect you have achieved is excellent, very well done Gary.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
Wow, Gary. I missed this build up to now. I love this plane and especially the scheme you have chosen. The interieur looks terrific and made my eyes wander around every detail. The fuselage now stands for its own. It looks so good all these scratches and worn off paint. Perfect.
Chapeau!
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Russell

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 06:49:59 PM »
This is wonderful finishing.

Regards
Russell

Offline Borsos

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 08:06:26 PM »
That's really an outstanding finish, very well done!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 12:20:50 AM »
Gary,
    Great looking Build, that's my kind of finish and you've done a marvelous job on it! The detail looks well up to your high standards as well, the engine and a bit of the interior in the second photo are most impressive. I keep looking at this one in my stash and thinking what a "plain Jane" project it would be............not so much anymore after seeing your work here! I'll stay tuned.......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 04:51:16 AM »
I really like the weathered look. Did you do it with steel wool, Gary?

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 05:20:18 AM »
That looks suitably knackered. Great result. It's a lot more difficult to make something look weathered than a show room finish so I know how much work you've put into this to achieve this effect. Well done.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 05:23:36 AM »
Toby has made a very good point. Getting a finish like that takes patience and skill - overdone it looks horrible. You have achieved the effect without going past that difficult line. Congratulations.

Stephen.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »
Thanks gentlemen for your kind comments! As I'd mentioned - this weathered look is still a work in progress and will probably look a bit more toned down when the model is finished.

To answer "Umlaufmotor" about what I used to create the effect so far, is a base "wood" coat of acrylic, then glosscoat, then a light coat of hairspray, then a mottled,  patchy coat of the XF-71 dark green. I scrubbed off some of the paint with a damp brush, since the hairspray dissolves and the XF-71 looses it's grip. It was an armour modelling technique I wanted to try on a WWI aircraft, and since this one had such a monotone colour for the fuselage I really needed to make it interesting. The trick will be to make sure all components have the same look of wear and discolouration when it's all assembled.

This same technique (using a base of Alclad II aluminum) was used to do the cowlings - here's a pic of one without the scrubbed-off paint and one after treatment...

Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:35:06 AM by gedmundson »

Offline steveb

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
Looks great!! Glad to hear about the process. Some companies like Ammo by Mig Jimenez & AK Interactive even sell "chipping fluids" which work on the same principle as the tried & true hairspray method.

Steve

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 05:05:30 AM »
Looking good, and thanks for the explanation about the chip/scratch effect! I've seen some pictures of one of our Dutch interned DFW's after a few years of use, and it looked almost just like this, scratched and scruffy.
Look forward to the rest! :)

Jeroen

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 06:10:25 AM »
Looks great!! Glad to hear about the process. Some companies like Ammo by Mig Jimenez & AK Interactive even sell "chipping fluids" which work on the same principle as the tried & true hairspray method.

Steve

the nice thing about the AK / Ammo stuff is that you can spray it with an airbrush, so it's a little more controllable than a can of Clairol... of course you could decant the latter I s'pose...