Author Topic: Nieuport N24 fuselage make up  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

Nieuport N24 fuselage make up
« on: October 09, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »
Hi guys - wonder if someone can help me here.

I've spent quite some time searching through Google images trying to find confirmation of exactly what the smooth 'sheeted' areas, directly to the rear of the cowling on a Nieuport N24 or 24 Bis are made of.

In some images they have a distinct, though not completely positive, look of sheet metal. However I was under the impression that they were similar to the N16/17 in that they were laminated strip wood. I can find just one old image that has the faintest of lines that may suggest this but not actually confirm it. The removable panel appears metal but I'm not too certain about the surrounding area.

Pending a new build I wonder if anyone can shed any factual certainty on this for me.

Regards - Tug

Offline oldalbie

Re: Nieuport N24 fuselage make up
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »
Hi Tug.  I sort of have the same question.  I'm building a N. 27 which is not much different from the 24.  The Rodent instructions show the fuselage bottom as being camouflaged as continuation of the top camo, sort of "wrap around" effect.  I haven't been able to find very many pictures of either 24s or 27s, let alone a bottom view.  I'm also questioning their choice of aluminum as the color doped on the lower parts of the wings and tail sections.  I'm guessing that it's more likely CDL.  So I'm going to just use alu for that bottom panel. 

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:27:23 PM »
Hi Albie,

I'm afraid I can't help you on your question but mine relates to the side panels. On the N11/16/17 research confirmed these were made of narrow strip wood diagonally applied, at least two layers I would think, much like diagonal planking on small boats. As said I have not been able to confirm if this was the case with the N24.

Detail or close shots of the 24 and 24 bis appear few by comparison to the 16/17 but I'm sure there must be at least one that will indicate if these panels were wood or sheet metal.

Any help would be much appreciated if anyone has the answer in the meantime I'll keep on searching.

Regards - Tug

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:30:18 PM »
Pretty sure they were the strips of wood

I believe the Nieuport 23 in Brussels is still in pretty much original configuration though it has been restored - some of the pics below show the wood strip front fuselage....

http://users.skynet.be/fa233213/En/RealAircrafts/Nieuport/Nie23.html#Ancre4

Also, here is a 24bis, if you zoom in on the pic, I believe you can just make out the diagonal lines of some of the strips:

http://wio.ru/ww1a/gal3/n24bis-15rao.jpg

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:42:39 PM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 11:56:49 PM »
Hi Tug,
Although not a direct answer to your question, the following is an excerpt from French Aircraft of the First World War by Davilla & Soltan, regarding the Nieuport 28:
"The area from behind the cockpit to the cowling was covered with tulip wood strips rather than metal as on earlier Nieuport designs". This would appear to indicate that all earlier designs were metal - but apparently your research, and the pics supplied by Petrov, indicate that is not the case!

Ian

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:55:21 AM »
Hi Petrov and Ian,

Thanks for your responses to this enquiry  :)

Ian - Looking at Petrov's link I think if fair to assume that that is probably referring to the top coaming that surrounds the cockpit opening through to the cowl maybe? My thanks for searching it out though - all input is valued and much appreciated.

Petrov - It's strange isn't it, despite a myriad of Google searches in every variation of 'Nieuport' I could think of I never came up with your first link ::) Some excellent pics there and ones that will definitely be secured for the build  ;)

Assuming that the 24 was built in the same way as the 23 in this frontal area these images totally answer my question. The image of the construction of the panel opening particularly so. I had found the other image you refer to and had come to the same conclusion - it was the distinct 'hint' of such strips on this image compared to the very smooth areas in virtually all others that raised the question.

Thanks guys - unless anyone can now 'shoot down' this reasonably conclusive confirmation that wood strips it is I shall continue on that path  :)

Regards - Tug