Author Topic: Udet's black Albatros D.Va strut generator  (Read 1352 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Udet's black Albatros D.Va strut generator
« on: October 08, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »
Question.... I intend to build my WnW Albatros DVa OAW as Udet's DVa. This one:
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/vD5ADA7C5/www/products/decals/30017/archive_photos/Albatros%20D.Va%20Ernst%20Udet%20-%20Jasta%2037%20(Greg%20VanWynGarden)%201.jpg

It appears to carry a generator on the wheel strut. (what for...??) I noticed the Rumpler CIV kit comes with a strut mounted generator -would that be suitable for Udet's machine as well, or were there very different types for single- and twoseater aircraft?
Curiously enough it isn't mentioned in the otherwise usually quite thorough Wingnut instructions :)

Jeroen

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: Udet's black Albatros D.Va strut generator
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 05:23:33 PM »
looking at that image, I know its not clear and damaged but there appears to be something hanging from the cockpit opening. Maybe an aerial???  Maybe an early trial at ground to air communications for fighter aircraft. Other than that why on earth would a fighter need a generator fitted? Hmmmm any suggestions?

Oh and the generator looks very similar yes

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:09:58 AM »
Interesting, I hadn't seen that yet! (not strange, too: my wife always jokes to me I'm looking with my ears, I never seem to find things I lost!)

One other thing crossed my mind as to it's use... my dad has electrically heated gloves for his motorcycle in winter. Were there heated flight suits or gloves in WWI?

Good to know it is similar to the one in the Rumpler kit. :)

Thanks, Jeroen

Offline Zabu

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »
Well, IMO it's not for comms because there's no antennas in that Albatros and by that time some big wire "umbrella" antennas were being experimented with Halberstadt aircrafts attached to FT- Versuchsabteilung Staffel in early 1917. Even then the electrical generator was driven by the engine to reduce drag.

My two cents... it's an air fuel pump.

Cheers

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:00:07 AM »
Rembered this review on ModellingMadness of the WnW Rumpler CIV, which happened to have the external generator.
It does indeed look similar to the one fitted to Udet's Albatros.

Interestingly, when you look at the other Jasta 37 Albatrosen on the WnW Black Beauty sheet historical photo's on the site no other Albatros appears to have this generator attached...

Interesting stuff! :)