Author Topic: Greetings from Berlin, Germany  (Read 2905 times)

Offline PeterFarag

Greetings from Berlin, Germany
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:36:18 AM »
I am an aerospace engineering student from Berlin and am truly amazed by all the wonderful aircraft models you guys have created.
I am looking for someone who is willing to sell (and send) a WW1 aircraft model to me, since i dont have the necessary skill or the time to build one in such detail myself. Any aircraft is fine, although my favorite is the Fokker D.VII ;)
Please feel free to message me if you are interested.

Thanks all

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Greetings from Berlin, Germany
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
Hello Peter and welcome to the forum, I'm sure that there will be someone who will help you out with your request, we have some very talented and helpful members here.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 03:59:30 PM »
Hallo Peter,
welcome to the forum.
Give modeling a try. It's not so difficult as it looks like. start with an easy kit and take Revells rattle cans for the bigger parts. You will archeive good results and a self build model is 100 times more attractive than a bought one.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 01:15:32 AM »
Welcome aboard, Peter!  I agree completely with Manni.  Just give it a try.  You'll love it and all of us here will be more than happy to help you if you need it.  Shipping a fully rigged biplane can be a bit tricky and the likelihood of severe damage is very high.  However, we have several extraordinary modelers within driving distance of Berlin who may be willing to build something for you.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 02:40:23 AM »
Hi Peter! Welcome and enjoy the site! I hope the inspiration gets you building!! regards, Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Hello Peter , welcome to the site . You have come to the right place  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »
Hello Peter and welcome to the forum. I find it a constant source of inspiration and support, and it is such a friendly place.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline PeterFarag

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 02:57:27 AM »
Hello again,

I think I would like to try and build a model myself then. I have some modeling experience but not too much, I have build a few Revell Model Airplane kits from ww2, such as the B-17 or the Spitfire, however nothing too detailed or difficult.

Can you recommend any beginner builds? Are there easy builds for the Fokker D.VII or is it a rather hard model? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all and best wishes

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:31:02 AM »
Glad to see you're willing to give it a try, Peter!  Yes, the Fokker D.VII in any scale is one of the easiest builds, along with it's stable mate, the Fokker Dr.I.  Both have almost no rigging and what little there is is quite easy.  Next in ease of build would be the Albatros and Pfalz scouts.  A bit more rigging, but nothing too overwhelming for a newbie.  Surprisingly, the Hansa Brandenburg W.12 is another fairly easy build, in spite of the floats.  It also has very little rigging, but you might want to take this on as a second build.  I look forward to seeing what you decide upon.  The best way to get advise and apply it to your work is to post a build log and ask questions along the way.  You will amaze yourself by how well you do.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 04:27:59 AM »
Eduard 1/48th DVII is my advice...

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »
Hallo Peter,
with which model you could start depends on the scale you would like to build. For 1/48 I totally agree with Bud's recommendations. Eduard kits are fine to start with. If you prefer smaller models, then give the old Revell Fokker D VII a go. It builts up nicely and is actually quite a simple model for beginners. If you want to start with the bigger scales then the 1/28 Revell kits would be a good test bed as far as I can remember (I built them so many years ago). The 1/32 Wingnut Wing kits are all very well made and it's a pleasure to build them. But as they are not cheap they might frighten you off a bit. There are some basic rules or hints that are just fine for wwi modelling, as the techniques differ in some places quite fundamentally from those needed for ww2 stuff in some aspects. but everybody here will help you out! And yes, struts and especially rigging can be a little annoying at the beginning. But the good news are: You won't have to deal with fiddly vacuformed cannopies that need to be masked birdcages-style  :)
Just give it a try!
Viele Grüße
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Peter. I agree with Borsos in that the scale does make a difference in selecting a first build. If 1/48th then Eduard/Revelle of Germany Fokker DVII and DR1 are great choices.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 11:27:44 PM »
Check the main web site. Des has some great suggestions.

Steve

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 01:16:29 AM »
Welcome, Peter!
I'm glad you're going to take the plunge and build a Wingnut - Enjoy!!

Good luck!

von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline malaula

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 05:15:55 AM »
Go get yourself a couple of cheap Revell Fokkers and Spads ,glue and paints ,and have some fun!