Author Topic: Sanding sticks  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Sanding sticks
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:51:58 PM »
Since I started in this hobby I have always used Squadron sanding sticks finding them to a great product and the last a very long time . My medium grid stick finally needed replacing . Picking up a new one they aren't the same as before . Their Medium stick is closer to a course one the are much wider making it harder to get into tight spots ....

Is there better standing sticks out there ? I have only seen squadron in the shops .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ModelingBob

Re: Sanding sticks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »
I feel your pain! And I agree about Squadron sanding sticks, used to be the best but now they changed them and they aren't. Now, when wet sanding, the grit falls off very quickly. I haven't found a great replacement for them either, so I'm still looking.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:52 AM »
I just raid the cosmetics aisle at the pharmacy these days. You can get a huge variety of sanding sticks, pads and sponges for a lot less than you have to pay for the Squadron ones.

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 01:27:37 AM »
I've found the same problem Terri. I needed a new coarse one but instead of sanding it just seems to rip over the surface - it's useless and the old worn one works better!
I may well try the cosmetics aisle too if no-one can suggest anything else.

Ian

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 03:03:41 AM »
Hi Terri.  I have used Flory sanding sticks and sponges pretty well exclusively and
they have always been really good.  Here's a link, my friend.

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/site-store/

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 05:57:32 AM »
Hi Terri, I have quite a few of Squadron sticks myself though they are getting to the end of their days. I was not aware they had changed the design nor the make up but all is not lost. There are several makes out there for the conventional sanding stick - Albion Alloys for one but for the cost of a few commercial sticks you can but the materials to make an almost unlimited source yourself.

All that's required is a couple of sheets of hard-ish balsa wood, some double sided sticky tape at least 1" wide preferably 2" and a selection of silicon carbide wet and dry paper from 150 grit up to 1200 grit.

To make I find it best to cut some balsa to about 6" long and about 1-2" wide, lay it on the double sided then cut the tape to the outline of the balsa. Peel off the backing paper on the other side, lay that (stick) on the chosen abrasive and cut that to the outline too. Now you can cut pieces off in strips as you want them, the width and length to to suit your requirements - small as you like to as large and of course, cheap as chips to boot.

You can wet sand with them but it's best to wet the surface rather than the stick as it will release from the balsa once soaked but there's plenty more from where it came from ;)

I've searched my files to see if I have any images of them in use but this is the only one I can find

In this case I have cut two small pieces off and attached them to a 'handle' from the same balsa with CA - just below the scalpel at the bottom and another above the drill chuck, RH side. If required the balsa can be pre-shaped to a degree before attaching to the double sided eg to create a concave or convex surface.

It doesn't answer your question directly but it does give you another option  ;) Hope this isn't 'teaching granny'  Terri

Regards - Tug

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 08:42:56 AM »
Thanks guys for the fast replies .

Tug , funning thing is I have all off the stuff already . Didn't dawn on me to make my own . Will give this a go and see how a fare at it .

Ernie , thanks for the link . Never heard of them and I very interested in their wash and pigments products . Will be ordering both sets . Been looking for a wash which is water base . The sanding sticks will also try out to see . I do like the width of them for clean up on parts .

Jamie , I have tried cosmetic ones in the past and didn't care for them . Great for doing my nails , but not so much for plastic .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »
When I was in Las Vegas 2 years ago the Hobbytown USA shop had packs of sanding twigs - thin, narrow sanding sticks which work perfectly in narrow spaces. I bought several packs and they are used every day. The packs were cheap too - about $3 from memory and each pack had assorted grain sticks from coarse to really fine.

I'm sure HobbyTown on West Sahara could advise if they still carry them. They also had large sanding pads in various grades and wide sanding sticks too.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ModelingBob

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 10:04:50 AM »
Hobby Lobby (a major US chain store) has the sanding twigs also. They meet the requirement of getting into small spaces quite nicely, but don't work quite as well on large surfaces due to their small size. I do use them quite a bit for small detail work and are fantastic for that job.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 10:06:34 PM »
Hi Terri.  I have used Flory sanding sticks and sponges pretty well exclusively and

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ernie , I just order two of their sanding stick sets along with their wash and pigment sets , thank-you for the link ! Now I just have to wait for them to come in and I can continue with projects on the bench .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 03:36:23 AM »

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ernie , I just order two of their sanding stick sets along with their wash and pigment sets , thank-you for the link ! Now I just have to wait for them to come in and I can continue with projects on the bench .

Terri

Glad to help Terri.  Hope they do the trick, my friend. :D

Cheers,
The new old guy, take two...