Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen  (Read 37233 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2017, 04:18:15 AM »
Only just realised that you have finished this aircraft. That is a stunner - if the base is only half as good you will have something to be very proud of there. Hopefully you will put the whole into a covered display box and put it somewhere prominent in the house so that visitors can see it.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:53:29 AM by lone modeller »

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
Thanks for looking and for your kind comments Stephen. It just fits into my covered display case and I'm cutting the Base to fit as well. Hopefully it will remain safe and sound in it's little "nest".
Cheers,
Lance

Offline boggie

« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
.........my flagging confidence! Unlike a good wine my prowess at the work bench is not improving with age....... :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Hahaha!  ;D

If the standard of your models is the result of "flagging confidence", then I say,

May we all be so afflicted!  :D

Methinks your appreciation of what is a "good wine" may be a little amiss!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:34:26 AM by boggie »

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
Boggie,
    Well Thank You for that! I do feel confident in my wine evaluating skills, but not so much in the basics of this Hobby we share lately. A judgement from the outside of the forest on the composition of the trees is always welcome, and often more in perspective! I take encouragement from your comments,  and also Eric's (EClarsen) article of today on "enjoyment" as the key.
Cheers, :)
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2017, 06:13:18 AM »
Lance,
Your W 12 is a real beauty! I have enjoyed following along as always with your builds. I look forward to seeing the aircraft mounted on the base!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
    Thanks Rick, I got a good start on the base today, waiting for a couple of glue joints to dry and I'll get it moving along!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
Wow, Lance. Every thing is said before, but I have to repeat: Outstanding build with so many details, perfect decals and a great subtile weathering.
Top!
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2017, 12:32:24 AM »
Thank you Manni, much appreciated!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
Lance, this is a truly stunning W.12 and you should be bursting with pride!  I don't know how, but I missed a lot of this, but after reading your post to my thread, I had to seek her out and I'm glad I did.  I don't agree with your assessment about your naval hex at all.  In fact, I think yours is better.  My preshading practically disappeared.  Brilliant job, my friend.  Can't wait to see the dio.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »
   Many thanks for your generous remarks, Bud. Now that I can publish photos again and, more important, have all the bits I need to complete this I`ll get at it; hope to put it all together in the next week at the most.
  More to follow soon.......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2017, 12:26:01 AM »
Hey Lance - just catching up here. Your W12 looks simply amazing. The work you've put in and the overall result is stunning. I'm so looking forward to seeing your eventual diorama. Please don't keep me waiting long :-)
Cheers,
Gary

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2017, 02:06:33 AM »
Thanks Gary. I'm afraid it's destined to be more of an "enhanced display base" then a Diorama!
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2017, 05:57:09 AM »
    I'm going to call this one complete. I'll post some more photos on Completed Models later on, for now here's the wrap up of the Build Log.

First step in the completion process was the finishing of the Base. It represents the Dock and Jetty area in front of the storage and maintenance hangars at the seaplane base on the Mole at Zeebrugge. The aircraft could be rolled up sloped ramps on dollies from the water and/or lifted by cranes up to the jetty. Larger four wheeled dollies operated on rails were used to move the aircraft further and also into their shelters or maintenance hangars. The area was cobblestoned, concrete, and at the water side planked. I used plastic sheet cobble stone landscaping, some rails begged from a fellow Model Club Member, and popsicle sticks from a craft shop for the planking. The name plate is from a trophy and engraving store.

The Aviattic Fuel Cart was added to the scene to provide a little added realism.

I read that every Diorama should have a story line, so.........
     The setting depicts a minor maintenance activity on the dock, the aircraft will be serviced in preparation for it's next mission and then hoisted onto a larger dolly, secured with a tie down chain, and rolled into the hangar until the mission time is closer. It's lunch time so the tools etc are left as is, the maintenance crew is at the Mess Hall for wurst and beer (lucky devils!), and time stands still..... (weak, I know!)

The work table is a top supported by saw horses, all scratch built. I added some A/M Tools, a bucket, a couple of rags, and the removed engine panel is leaning on the table. The ladder is scratched as well, the smaller portable dollies and tail stand are from the Kit. The Chain is an A/M version for Armour Modelling. My trusty camera tells me a little more glue is required on the edge of that cobblestone material!

I've got a dozen or so more photos for the Completed Models section later. I call this an "enhanced Display Base" as opposed to a real Diorama but I hope it meets the criteria for the Group Build. I enjoyed the mental exercise of "inventing" a scene, and the Kit, like all of Wingnut's offerings was an enjoyable Build overall.
   Hope you like it, and I look forward to some feedback.
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:03:52 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »
Wonderful Lance, great airplane and a very very nice workbench. A diorama to be proud of!
Best wishes
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
A superb result Lance, your story line is excellent and what you have depicted here fits the story perfectly. All of the accessories you have added certainly gives the scene a sense of realism, looking forward to seeing the remainder of the photos in the completed model board.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com