Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen  (Read 37202 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
I really don't like sea planes - my airplanes need wheels. But when I see what a great model you are building out of that kit, I am getting weak... Very nice!!!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2017, 06:30:49 AM »
Syd, Andreas,
    Many thanks for looking and for your generous comments!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2017, 03:50:41 AM »
Each detail is only adding, await completion...

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2017, 06:02:42 AM »
Thanks Ed. Completion has "slid" a few days to the right on the calendar, float installation proved a bit of an issue just solved today, not entirely pretty but effective. I'm still trying to figure out the "why" of this development, anyone else had problems?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline eclarson

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2017, 07:30:14 AM »
Thanks Ed. Completion has "slid" a few days to the right on the calendar, float installation proved a bit of an issue just solved today, not entirely pretty but effective. I'm still trying to figure out the "why" of this development, anyone else had problems?
Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance,
You're W.12 is coming along beautifully.  I really like the wood effect on the beaching dollies. 
What kind of problems did you encounter with the floats.  I actually attached them on mine before adding the wings. 

Cheers,
Eric

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2017, 12:57:58 PM »
Eric,
    They went on the lower fuselage pretty well. I then attached the outer struts (Parts F4 & F5)  from mid lower wing to float on one side, the other side strut was slightly too short to fit properly by 1mm approx. The only thing that stood out was a very slight difference in how deep the fuselage attachment struts were set. It sat level and was solid so I ended up making very short extensions for the tabs on the strut ends. :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline eclarson

« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »
Eric,
    They went on the lower fuselage pretty well. I then attached the outer struts (Parts F4 & F5)  from mid lower wing to float on one side, the other side strut was slightly too short to fit properly by 1mm approx. The only thing that stood out was a very slight difference in how deep the fuselage attachment struts were set. It sat level and was solid so I ended up making very short extensions for the tabs on the strut ends. :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Bummer.  The tolerances on WNW kits in general can be very unforgiving and now that you mention it I remember those outer struts being quite tight.  Sounds like you found a good solution though and no one will be the wiser.  Unless they read this of course.  :)

Eric

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2017, 01:15:28 AM »
Eric,
    Obviously my error caused the opposite of a tight fit, they ended up too loose overall which resulted in the gap on the "completion" side. As you say, the tolerances on these Kits are very unforgiving, a lesson I continue to learn over and over again! I'll take a few photos later; once touched up I'm hoping it all blends together. As for hiding the error, good luck, the skill levels of this Forum Group make that very unlikely at best. That "perfect" Build continues to elude me! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
    So, another significant bit of progress achieved on this project. The aircraft is complete; now it's time to get at the display base and the accessories to create some form of Diorama. I've taken some quick photos of the aircraft for the interim. Once It's on the display base I'll take more for "Completed Models."
    The rigging, and there's not a lot on this bird, was completed with Modelkasten elastic thread, stainless guitar wire for the aileron cables between upper and lower wing, and Bob's Buckles. The float support wires were done float to float as opposed to between the float spars as recommended by, I believe, Przemol on his Build.

This is the front strut joint on the left side that had a 1-2mm extension added as did the rear one, the only solution I could determine for the fit problem I was struggling with earlier.

The exhaust assembly was added at the very end to prevent accidental removal.......

.....and the same for the prop and the GasPatch Parabellum.

and here she is in total.......

Now it's time to clean up the bench and get started on the "base work".
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2017, 07:49:04 AM »
She turned out looking gorgeous Lance, your attention to detail really stands out and you did a superb job with the rigging, a really nice looking model, looking forward to seeing the base work.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline boggie

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »
Beautifully built Lance.

I like your subtle weathering, adds to the realism very nicely.

Very neat fix on the float strut too. I can't identify it. I know there's a mod there only because you told us!

Looking forward to seeing her in your diorama.  :)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
Des, Boggie,
    Thanks for taking the time to look and for your most generous comments; all much appreciated!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2017, 08:46:31 AM »
Great model, Lance, very nice! I am sure it is going to be a beauty in a diorama.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
That looks terrific Lance!  If you hadn't mentioned the float strut extension I'd have never noticed.  Good job.

Cheers,
Eric

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2017, 12:04:12 AM »
Thanks Borsos and Eric, your comments are very much appreciated and do wonders for my flagging confidence! Unlike a good wine my prowess at the work bench is not improving with age....... :-\
Cheers,
Lance