Author Topic: Albatros B II (WNW 1/32)  (Read 22093 times)

Offline Borsos

Albatros B II (WNW 1/32)
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:46:54 AM »
Well, guys, I finally started this one - or I'd better say 'these ones', as it is my first double build. A fellow modeler asked me if I could do his B II when I would do mine. I agreed, and here I am.
I think the Kit is well known to everyone here, so I won't post pics of the sprues here. You find an abundance of information on the WNW homepage.
First step for me was a dryfitting of all the cockpit components (as expected they fit perfectly). There is a tube construction containing the rear cabane struts that seemed to be a bit weak in plastic. But then I discovered, that it will not only be glued to the cockpit floor, but on both side parts too, so there's enough stability. The fuselage is cut into four main parts, two sides and upper and lower part. That avoids seems in the middle of the top or underside respectively, as with usual two part fuselages. Cool stuff...
Then came the usual procedure for wooden surfaces: Buff, preshading on the panel lines, lighting up their middle and toning down the whole affair. Then Uschi's decals and after all a shot of clear yellow or orange respectively. Here are first pics of the main parts and the dashboard. Here I used the kit's decals and additional HGW bezels. I also used HGW's seat belts as I was curious how they would look like and they are really fine (although I like my teabag belts too...)

There were times, when I didn't like to have two projects going on for the same time ... Long gone  :). I didn't want to let my friend wait until I finished my diorama...
Borsos
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:20:15 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Albatros B II (WNW 1/32)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 01:40:20 AM »
Great start(s) Borsos! The wood looks excellent and that instrument panel is a beauty, lots to like already!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:44:06 AM »
Wow, Andreas!  You certainly don't let any moss grow under your feet!  Absolutely magnificent wood work, my friend, and that instrument panel looks real.  Looking forward to more.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:23:14 AM »
Totally agree about the instrument panel, but the rest of the interior looks top notch too. I will be following with interest as this is on my to build list for some time in the future….

Stephen.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 02:34:17 PM »
Wow, Andreas,
that looks terrific. Great start.
The benefit of this dual-build is that you can choose wich part went out better and put it on your Alby (I'm evil)
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 05:30:33 AM »
Wooden beauty in the making! Top class start, Borsos.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 05:39:15 AM »
Amazing start. Thanks for sharing! Regards :)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 05:54:55 AM »
Thank you guys for your kind words!

Some progress today. At first without the seats:

And with the seats glued in. This time I used Uschis leather decals for the seats and Aviattic linen decals for the backs of the seats - the last is completely superfluous, because the backs are invisible once the fuselage deckings are installed.

The fit still is incredible good. This is one of the best kits I've ever built. Critics? oh well, that's difficult... maybe one critical point: the clear plastic is very very brittle so I broke the fuelline of the fuelpump. But it's not visible neither so I didn't replace it. You have to be very very careful when removing the clear parts from the sprue (at least more careful than I was. BTW I broke it on BOTH kits...).
Borsos
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:23:34 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:31:48 AM »
Very Nice, await more pics.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Brez

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »
Excellent interior Andreas, stunning in fact.

Cheers,
Tony.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
Excellent interior Andreas, stunning in fact.

Cheers,
Tony.

Me too! Spectacular in fact! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »
Very good work indeed. I'm glad you are sharing your build experience with us. This is the next Wingnut Wings kit I would buy. You are setting a high bar for the rest of us.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »
Oh, My!  That's Yummy!  :o
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
Andres,
I looks so good. Everything looks perfect from the seats to the wood, the cockpit and and and. Makes me want to build mine, too.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 09:21:06 PM »
Sorry I am late in commenting. Your cockpit work is brilliant! Beautiful wood tones, very convincing instrument panel, and absolutely clean construction!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler