Author Topic: New take on the Red Baron  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Derrick

New take on the Red Baron
« on: August 20, 2016, 12:04:26 PM »
Came across this, found it a bit amusing.

http://www.heroesvillainsminiatures.com/product/manfred-von-richthofen-the-red-baron-1453-1918/

I did order the RFC Bust, along with his book on painting figures, from MJ Miniatures. The book has received good reviews and seems like it is focused on the beginner figure painter. Will have to give it a go, now that things are starting to be a little less hectic.

Offline Derrick

Re: New take on the Red Baron
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 12:15:54 PM »
That is because he is  :P Look at the dates given, born in 1453....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:47:22 PM by Derrick »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »
Ok, it was neither Brown nor ground fire, it was garlic that brought him down in 1918  ;D
Thanks for posting this. Those fingernails...!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 08:27:41 PM »

I simply couldn't resist... As a German for me it is difficult to deal with MvR without a little irony.
I'll paint him in a dark november week, while listening to a Bram Stoker's audiobook...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline JCoatney

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 01:49:34 AM »
Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman. Vampires are fighter pilots.

From a review:"Once again, Newman takes the audacious step of having the famous and powerful become vampires (Winston Churchill is a prime example, although there seems to be less of this trick than in "Anno Dracula"). But the most notorious vampire is easily Manfred von Richtoffen, the Red Baron. The ultimate hunter is cross-fed by several vampire "elders" to create the ultimate winged combatant . . . a winged vampire armed with powerful hand-machine guns. Now, not only must the Allied pilots be wary of a violent death in a fireball or a screaming nose-dive to earth, they must be wary of being plucked from their pilot-seats and eaten alive! The vision of the vampire-squadron taking off from a high tower, with strains of Wagner echoing from Dracula's Zeppelin-flagship, makes for a riveting read."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786702524?_encoding=UTF8&isInIframe=0&n=283155&ref_=dp_proddesc_0&s=books&showDetailProductDesc=1#product-description_feature_div