Author Topic: FINISHED: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II  (Read 43382 times)

Offline Gisbod

That's incredible Borsos!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RAGIII

I can only echo what others have said, Beautiful, Awesome, Fantastic, and Incredible!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

Fabulous work Borsos, absolutely stunning! Since you are going to have the crew lying out on the ground, don't forget to position everything in a way that would either leave access to pull them out, or show that the parts had been moved to get at the pilot!

Ian

Offline Syd Solo

This diorama build displays a dazzling array of superior and enviable modelling skills. One question Borsos: are you mortal?  ;)

Cheers

Syd

Offline Borsos

Re: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II, P & M Motorbike (Aviattic), Vauxhall 25hp
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
Hello friends,
thank you very much for your kind comments  :) !
This diorama build displays a dazzling array of superior and enviable modelling skills. One question Borsos: are you mortal?  ;)

Cheers

Syd

Thanks Syd, just too mortal. I see that every time when I see my kids grew up so fast and me getting older and older... One day when I got up after having had a good evening with the old friends I had to realize that some parts of my body (head, stomach) were already dead....

Fabulous work Borsos, absolutely stunning! Since you are going to have the crew lying out on the ground, don't forget to position everything in a way that would either leave access to pull them out, or show that the parts had been moved to get at the pilot!

Ian

Absolutely, Ian, thanks for the hint. Yes I had planned to show the crashed seat that was removed from the inside with the pilot. As the certain design of the C II seat is unknown I had the choice between a seat like it was installed in the later LVG two seaters (like the C VI) or a seat like it was installed in the LVG B II. In the end I went with a LVG B II seat whose design I took from the great Krakow aviation museum website.
Now it is slowly getting finished. Some details need painting and I have to start rigging (which is like bridling a dead horse somehow)
... the radiator is plastic mesh sandwiched between some plastic sheet sanded to shape.

Thank you!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II, P & M Motorbike (Aviattic), Vauxhall 25hp
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
Wow, Andreas.
This is a real showstopper. You have now reached the highest top of modeling skills.
Speechless,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »
Congrats, Andreas! Absolutely stunning!

Jörg

Offline Borsos

« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »
Thank you Manni and Jörg!

it's all together now. I prepared a multi level base for the dio and played around with the layout of the figures and the rest. Here's what seemed to me the best layout. What do you think? Any critics, hints or questions are highly appreciated!

Thank you!
Borsos
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline ondra

« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2017, 11:17:25 PM »
The layout of the figures looks very good to me, transmitting the story very well. Good job on this, Borsos!

In my very personal opinion, I would make the exhaust slightly less rusty, looks a bit too much on the photos. But of course, photos can be misleading.

Great job so far on this fascinating dio!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2017, 11:28:24 PM »
Outstanding diorama Borsos.  Wonderful modeling/scratch building skills demonstrated all through your build.  Love the outcome.   :D

Offline IanB

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »
That looks pretty good Borsos. My first thought though was, "wouldn't they have laid the crew next to each other?" It just seems that when bodies are pulled from wrecks, that is what tends to happen.....We are a habitual people sometimes!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2017, 02:37:45 AM »
Totally agree with Ian's comment - I too would have put the bodies together. I am not sure about the background - that pot of glue looks a little out of place………

Looking forward to seeing this complete.

Stephen.

Offline Edo

« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
hey Borsos! seeing it all together is quite stunning!
I would like to add my 2 cents on the layout. why don't move the bike on the other side of the car? it is almost hidden wher it is now .... ok the guy has to talk with the car driver, turn the car and bike 180 degrees ?
i don't know.... maybe this is the right layout after all.
anyway it will always remain a great diorama!
ciao
edo

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »
Foot prints and tyre tracks!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2017, 07:17:06 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                   October  .. 1916
Dear Mrs. ...,

as commander of this unit I have the sad duty to inform you that your son didn't come back from a reconnaissance mission that he and his observer were carrying out over enemy territory. One of our staffel members had the opportunity to see his airplane being attacked by an enemy aircraft and going down out of control. I deeply regret that we have to assume the worst. All of us kept your son in highest regards due to his friendliness and humour. He was a good comrade and a close friend.
With kind regards

..., captain

Thank you very much for your support and your interest in the process of making this diorama!
What was planned to be a short little project at the beginning (how naive I was!) turned out to be my longest project up to date (started in June/July 2016). Some things didn't turn out how I had wished, some things make me quite happy. I am even happier to have finished it at all. I called it "Ikarus 1916", an alternative title would have been "Well... it's suddenly not so glorious any more..."
I hope you like it.

Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.